Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cant feel baby moving

(11 Posts)
ilianora Sun 02-Oct-11 09:22:58

Ok, this isnt a panicky post as I am only 18 weeks pregnant.
This is my second baby and I have been feeling movement since 14 weeks, which surprised me at the time but apparently its normal for second pregnancy. At first it was just occassional moving but over the past two weeks I have felt it at some point each day. Just wondering if its normal for that to stop as I havent felt anything for two days.
As I said not panicking as Im not much of a worrier but thought I would see if anyone else had similar experience
x

northernmonkey Sun 02-Oct-11 09:25:41

I would ring the midwife. Any changes in movement is something to check out. The chances are you have been so busy you've just nit notices them ( which is what I did with ds2) blush

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 02-Oct-11 09:25:46

I felt baby move about 12 weeks (I did, honestly) and felt it from about 12-18 weeks, then suddenly it all stopped. Started feeling it again at about 22 weeks and, apart from a couple of lazy days, has been going like the clappers ever since.

harassedandherbug Sun 02-Oct-11 09:45:00

I felt baby at 11wks, but then it's dc4. It was very hit and miss though, and I'd freak myself out for days not being able to feel him! Then found out at 20wk scan that I have an anterior placenta which explained a lot.

However, you should ring your mw just to check. They'll prob have you in for a listen in and tell you that there won't be a regular pattern yet. But do it for your own peace of mind.

kiki22 Sun 02-Oct-11 12:05:43

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago at 21.5 weeks just suddenly nothing for the whole day turns out he just turned around and was kicking toward my back, turned back round later that day. I did call the midwife and they took me in to listen to his heartbeat and told me i was right to call in so it might be a good idea to give her a ring anyways

ilovesprouts Sun 02-Oct-11 12:07:07

drink some ice cold water

IssyStark Sun 02-Oct-11 12:16:09

At 18 weeks ice-cold water/sitting still etc is unlikely to work because if you can't feel the baby it is more likely that it is because it has moved into a position where it just can't be felt.

The same happened to me around the 20w with no. 2 (currently 30w and kicking as I type): had been feeling the baby a couple of times a day for about a week and then nothing for a couple of days. Turns out it was kicking against my back so there were no nerves to feel it.

Give day gynae a call - they'd rather have false alarms than miss a problem which they could have helped with.

stripeywoollenhat Sun 02-Oct-11 12:21:24

i felt movement from about 14 weeks this time out, but it was initially pretty intermittent - in fact up till about 25 weeks she was sometimes turned around in a way that meant i couldn't feel her. so probably no need to worry, but maybe give your midwife a ring anyway, it can't do any harm.

(31 weeks now, constant goosestepping in the direction of my liver)

whackamole Sun 02-Oct-11 13:18:58

I didn't feel anything until well past 20 weeks, and this is my second pregnancy.

Could you have an anterior placenta that has moved up as baby gets bigger? Or maybe baby is just kicking into the placenta wherever it is?

ninedragons Sun 02-Oct-11 15:15:21

Call the midwife. There is no sound on earth more reassuring than the whoosh whoosh whoosh of a foetal monitor.

They really won't think you're being stupid or overly cautious. I went in one day after work having felt no movement since the morning and the midwife told me off for having left it that long - her view was that I should have taken the morning off work and come straight in.

bmm39 Wed 05-Oct-11 12:00:13

This is my first pregnancy so not sure if it is different the second time round. My midwife told me that I may feel the baby move and then it may not move for days even weeks afterwards. So don't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now