Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Can anyone recommend some REALLY REALLY wide fitting shoes??

(12 Posts)
NorthernGirlie Sun 02-Oct-11 08:54:27

Hi All

As the title says really - I'm only 17+3 but am struggling with a seriously swollen foot and at the moment can only wear flipflops. However I'm starting to panic as the bad weather will be starting soon (I use public transport so 10/15 min walk to the station, 15/20 min walk at the other end twice a day so flipflops won't cut it in the rain and snow!)

I've already tried Clarks' widest fit and tried on a friends' size 6 Catterpillar boot yesterday (I'm usually a 4 or a 5) and couldn't get my foot in sad

Thanks

NG x

crazyhead Sun 02-Oct-11 10:19:00

Welcome to my world, my feet are wide at the best of times ;)

Try Evans, the secret of the curvy and skinny wide-footed alike. They have a variation of widths, but some exceptionally wide fitting stuff like pumps.

Hush Puppies can also be excellent in some wide-fitting styles too. M&S wider fit worth a go but not THAT wide.

NorthernChinchilla Sun 02-Oct-11 11:10:54

I would've recommended Clarks, as they've helped for me, but that's a non-starter. Have you considered 'traditional' Doc Martens? Good support, big fit, and great for public transport users in crap weather (speaking from years of experience in all cases)? Can't really be worn with skirts, but not too much of an issue in snow...

And I know this sounds odd, but would you be able to wear big wellies on the way in and then change into something at work- just thinking in total extremis?

Good luck.

GiganticusBottomus Sun 02-Oct-11 11:14:50

Viva La Diva do wide fit shoes (some in extra wide) - Evans are a good shout and I think New Look do some wide fit too (although haven't tried them myself)

Good luck from a fellow (but not pg) fat footer.

Elderberries Sun 02-Oct-11 17:01:45

Berkenstocks. Expensive but some good special wide fits.

Enfyshedd Sun 02-Oct-11 17:08:44

If you're feeling a bit flush, there's a brilliant site called duoboots.com. I'm not exactly that svelte to start with, but I got a stunning pair of knee high boots from there a couple of years ago. They also do shoes in different width sizes, so you might be able to find something there.

3littlefrogs Sun 02-Oct-11 17:11:31

Is it just one foot?

Is your leg swollen?

Do you have any pain?

If the answer to any of the above is yes, you should speak to your midwife or GP.

sleepevader Sun 02-Oct-11 18:45:53

Again I wound recommend Evans and duo boots.

I have massive feet. Pregnancy makes them worse!

NorthernGirlie Sun 02-Oct-11 21:38:19

Thanks everyone - after a miserable trail to town I've ended up in a pair of size 7!!! Clarks pumps - not ideal but I can put up with them for now sad#

3littlefrogs - yes to all of the above, I'm currently off work as I'm in lots of pain. Been to doctors though - they referred me to DVT clinic, I had to self inject blood thinners for a week and a half and had 2 leg scans so not that. Doctors just said it's one of those things sad I'm fed up and moany - every step hurts and I can only see it getting worse!

Ho hum - I know other ladies who've suffered constant sickness etc so am lucky in some ways - the joys eh??

NG x

3littlefrogs Sun 02-Oct-11 22:55:03

Do go back if you are still in pain. DVT was the first thing I thought of, so if it isn't getting better you should get it checked again.

NorthernGirlie Sun 02-Oct-11 23:25:45

Thanks - I've been a few times, feel like they're brushing me off and treating me like a fussy preggers woman. I'm not one to make a fuss - never usually go to the doctors (prob maximum of 6 times in my adult life pre-preg) but I'm so frustrated. Apparently it's 'normal' for my foot to increase by 3 shoe sizes and for me to be in constant pain / limping from 11 weeks!

3littlefrogs Mon 03-Oct-11 23:10:04

Have you been to A&E?

At my hospital we would treat based on those symptoms.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: