Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tell me your experiences of "False labour", or contractions that led to nothing....!

(19 Posts)
feelingratheroverwhelmed Sat 01-Oct-11 16:04:29

Afternoon all,

I've just come home from hospital after going in on Thursday night with contractions every 2-3 mins apart. I'm 37 weeks tomorrow, so pretty much term. On thursday eve I felt a little odd, and then started to get pains that weren't unbearable, but were painful, coming at regular intervals, and paracetamol did nothing. I went in after speaking to the triage midwife. They lasted from midnight until about 4-5am, then started to tail off. By today, I was still getting pains sporadically, but really not that much. I now haven't had one for ages, though have a dull ache in my stomack ,my back feels a little odd, and I still don't feel quite right. They finally sent me home this morning.

During all this I also had a bit of a funny tummy, and wee'd a lot! No UTI though.

I was examined when I first went in - cervix closed, not dialated, not in labour.

I went into labour 19 days early with DS, so I was really expecting something to happen next week (though I know no two are the same) but this has thrown me somewhat! I didn't get Braxton Hicks at all with DS and haven't till now, but that's what MIL thinks this might be. The doc thought it was maybe the funny tummy irritating my uterus but I think it's the other way round (timing it certainly seems that way anyway).

I'm now going to spend the next 2 weeks really worried! DS is at granny's tonight just in case, but it'll just be the two of us on Monday when DS is at work (granny is an hour away). I need to convince myself that timing wise I won't be stuck on my own with DS when my waters breal but I can't help thinking that!

So, has anyone else been though this? And how long was it till labour actually started? The ward sister though prob not long due to the position of the baby's head, but who really knows???

Knowledge is power, so please share yours! smile

feelingratheroverwhelmed Sat 01-Oct-11 16:35:10

And I've just done a search (pos should have done that before?!) and am now more worried, as it seems as though real labour is really quick when you've have this. I'm down for an elective section, and our childcare is ever an hour away. Help!!!

tinky19 Sat 01-Oct-11 17:14:51

I had this with DS at 40 +6 weeks. 'Contractions' every 7 mins, then 5mins apart, then 4 etc. Lasted about 4 hours (one very long night!) then began to trail off. I was gutted. DS was eventually born by emcs after induction and getting stuck at 42 + 2weeks.

Velvetcu Sat 01-Oct-11 17:19:14

I'm 36+4 and have had 2 episodes of this so far both lasting about 10hrs. Started with contractions half hour apart, ended with 7mins apart for couple of hours then stopped. I've also got a dull back ache and have had a dodgy stomach all week. I didn't go to the hospital but spoke to mw who said it gives no indication on how long it's going to be til the real thing unfortunately.

feelingratheroverwhelmed Sat 01-Oct-11 18:56:01

Thanks ladies. Where both your expereinces at night time? Velvet good luck with yours, and tinky sorry you had to wait so long after this had happened.

It's just the unknown I hate, I'm here praying for my waters to go tonight as DS is looked after, and I know they'll get me in for my section asap once that happens. But I think the chances are pretty slim, unfortunately.

I've just taken myself off for a sleep as I'm shattered. When I woke up I felt normal, but before I'd got myself out of bed I started with period-type pains, which have got worse over the last 20 mins. They aren't contraction-like, but when I sat on the sofa I then started to get sharp pains in my uterus. I really don't want this for another 2 weeks.

Argghh!!

Velvetcu Sat 01-Oct-11 19:01:14

One of mine was last Saturday daytime, second was Tuesday through the night and I'm starting to get crampy again now!

Dh flies to Japan on business for a week on Monday so I'm hoping to hold on a bit longer too!

feelingratheroverwhelmed Sat 01-Oct-11 19:17:33

Oh wow, and there's me worried at DH going to work an hour down the road! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you x

Fleecy Sat 01-Oct-11 19:22:55

I had the same thing happen at 37+1. Strong, regular contractions started so as I'm having a section and have a history of quick labour (4h first time, 2h10 second) I went straight up to the hospital. The trace showed the contractions but I just wasn't dilating so it couldn't have been real. Everything stopped overnight and I went home after lunch the next day.

I'm now 38+5 and having a section on MOnday as baby still hasn't arrived.

We don't have any childcare lined up for this weekend as nobody was available so if it happens early we'll have to bundle the DC in the car and DH will drop me off at the hospital before returning home with the DC. Could you do similar but have your DH wait up at the hospital and your childcare meet him there and take your DS with them when they arrive?

feelingratheroverwhelmed Sat 01-Oct-11 19:44:16

Fleecy yup that is really similar to my experience, have you had any other symptoms since you came home? Good luck with the section on Monday, really not long to go now!
We'll have to make a decision when it happens as to the best thing to do. On Thursday I went to the hospital alone as it was 2.30am and we didn't want to get DS up of it was not needed. But, I ended up getting really upset once on the ward as I was alone and really worried DH would not be there if I ended up giving birth! Once they told me nope, not in labour, I could relax, but the doc took ages before she'd examine me (they wanted a CTG first and they always keep you on for a really long time) and that was the only way they could confirm it. Or not as the case actually was.

Fleecy Sat 01-Oct-11 20:28:06

I had a bit of a show a week ago and occasionally the contractions start up again and I get excited but then they stop and they're uncomfortable, not painful like they had been.

Yes, I was also kept on the CTG for ages the evening it all kicked off and again the next morning. Bit of a disappointment really!

I don't fancy the idea of having a section without DH there so you have my sympathies but I console myself with the fact that he has been there the previous times so that's better than nothing!

I hope the timing works well for you and you make it in plenty of time. Keep us posted!

feelingratheroverwhelmed Sat 01-Oct-11 20:31:22

Am sat here now getting sharp pains and feel sick. Gawd before thursday I didn't know it was possible to drag it out like this, soooooooooo annoying!!!

exexpat Sat 01-Oct-11 20:35:38

I had this at about 40+1 with DC2; DC1 had arrived one day early, so I really thought this was it, called in childcare for DC1, checked the hospital bag, etc. But after a whole day of contractions every few minutes, it just slowed down and stopped. Then nothing for another week.

DC2 was eventually born at 41+2, on the day I had been booked in for an induction (she was going to be big) but before they actually started doing anything. Labour was faster than with DC1, but not exactly speedy - about 11-12 hours.

sleepevader Sat 01-Oct-11 23:07:40

Ive been feeling really odd for 3 days now. Cramps, back pain etc. Am only 35wks. When I get braxton hicks they are quite painful.

Anything from next friday when im 36wks is fine!

whackamole Sat 01-Oct-11 23:18:09

Overwhelmed I could have written your exact post, except I am 37 weeks today!

Have spent 3 nights this week convinced I was going into labour - regular pains, not dulled by paracetamol etc - the only thing different is they never got very close together so I have spent a lot of time in the bath. Never had BH either first time round so nothing to compare to (also was induced with lots of drugs so don't really recall the actual pain!)

I am really hoping baby comes soon - we don't have any childcare anywhere near unfortunately, so unless I conveniently give birth at the weekend I am on my own sad

Little bit scared you put that apparently labour will be quick if this happens!

feelingratheroverwhelmed Sun 02-Oct-11 09:48:58

Morning ladies!
Whackamole - I am also 37 weeks today! So at least we've got to "term" so to speak. Sending you luck an dhugs!

Another night of pains (though not two minutes apart like they were on Thursday), feeling quite sick, and generally still confused that something has to be happening, what else can it be?!

But reading all your posts, it doesn't actually seem that likely and that I'm just going to have this for quite a while longer.

DS is still at this granny's and we need to decide whether to bring him home today or for him to stay there (they are about an hour away so we'd go and spend the day there whatever). But this could go on for the next week and he can't realistically stay there another night after tonight - just because I want him back with me, granny would quite happily steal him forever given the chance! But, that means it's just the two of us all day tomorrow when DH is at work.

I wonder what our day will bring???????

feelingratheroverwhelmed Mon 03-Oct-11 17:58:51

Not sure if anyone will come back to this now but thought I'd give an update anyway!

I am really fed up now. Got practically no sleep last night. At 1.30 I gave in and took a cocodamol, more for my bad back than anything else, but even that didn't really help me sleep. I've now got regualr sharp pains, abit like stabbing with knitting needles into my uterus, which is lovely! I persuaded DH to work from home today as DS was at home with me and I'm paranoid I'll have to go off to hospital with him in tow. He;s at nursery tomorrow though so DH is going in then.

I'm just sick of not sleeping, of getting pain and feeling sick!

SavannahRose Mon 03-Oct-11 18:49:15

Hey
Just read your thread.
I felt awful for about 2 weeks before DD was born. Sick, period pains in handout of hospital as I had an irritable uterus. At 34 weeks I had my first antenatal class. I stayed behind after and explained to e midwife that since that morning I had felt sick and had really sharp pains in my back. She said it was nothing and if I still had it in a week to see my midwife. I thought nothing of it after I had spoken to her and went off to asda. After asda I went home, cleaned the WHOLE house and cooked a meal. Ate the meal well about half and sat down to watch corrie then that was it! Contractions started and I was back in hospital being told my waters had gone. Hubby left me and gone bk home as he was told nothing would happen and then had a EMCS after being in labour for 66 hours with contractions 3-4 minutes apart
Xx

SavannahRose Mon 03-Oct-11 18:50:10

Baby girl was born at 35+2 weeks
smile happy and healthy
X

feelingratheroverwhelmed Mon 03-Oct-11 20:14:32

Aw congrats Savannah, that's fantastic! You just never know, do you? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now