Talk

Advanced search

C section and caring for baby in hospital

(32 Posts)
FRowlands Fri 30-Sep-11 20:40:07

Hi
I'm scheduled for a planned c section in a month but just wondering how I will manage to care for the baby in the days immediately following the op? If ive had a spinal I won't be able to move, then movement will be difficult due to the cut and catheter. Just hoping someone can provide sOme advice about how I'll manage to feed, hold, change nappies while still in hospital? Especially in the non-visiting hours!! When I go home I'll have lots of support but just concerned about in hospital. Any info would really be appreciated

SazZaVoom Fri 30-Sep-11 20:42:55

The BEST thing they did for me was to swaddle both DD's with a sort of roll in the top of the sheet. I could sit up and sort of pluck them from the cot with one hand like a stork. They were both light though, so this might not work with a 10 pounder grin

Midwives will come and help you if you need it and i never changed a nappy all the time i was in hospital.

Congratulations on meeting your new baby in a month smile

littlemisslozza Fri 30-Sep-11 20:49:35

For the first 24 hours you should have help for everything, then they like you to start getting up and gradually doing things for yourself after that. I got my visitors to leave things I would want within easy reach (on my table next to my bed) and DH or my mum or dad would make sure baby was changed and dressed for the first couple of days, if they weren't there I rang for help.
Good luck, how exciting!

blueeyedmonster Fri 30-Sep-11 20:52:42

I didn't have a c-section but I did have a spinal. Until I had the catheter out I had help with everything. I didn't change a nappy, lift or anything. Couldn't at least until the spinal wore off anyway!

gomez Fri 30-Sep-11 20:59:12

You'll be fine after the spinal wears off. Catheter will be taken out day after delivery probably. You'll be up and in the shower then too. Take your paracentamol and brufen when offered. And try to stand up straight as soon as you can - grit your teeth and go for it. Well worth the effort.

If all goes well you may well be home 36 hours after delivery anyway.

Ring for help when you need it too. It's honestly not so bad.

Good luck and enjoy your new baby..

DamselWithADulcimer Fri 30-Sep-11 21:00:20

I second Gomez's post. That was my experience, anyway. It was fine.

I had a c-section a month ago with DD (general anaesthetic tho, not a spinal). Tbh, I was up and about within 12 hours - catheter out, off my drips. The mw's will help if you want them to, altho I didn't - not because I thought I knew better, just because I wanted to do it! DD was 9lb7 too, so no shrinking violet. I just took it very slowly, moved the bassinet on it's wheels near the bed to lift her up for feeding/nappy changing, moved about (gingerly!) round the room. Just don't try and do too much - it's now, 5 weeks later when DH is back at work and the visitors have dried up that I'm finding it harder and my wound hurts still (I walked a bit further than I should today with the pram and I'm a bit sore).
Congratulations, btw smile

eatyourveg Fri 30-Sep-11 21:04:41

I had c sections for ds1 and ds3 both with spinals and catheters. The nurses did everything for ds1 as I wasn't well enough to go up to the ward until day 3. With ds3 they changed him and handed him to me to feed for the first day but encouraged me to stand up straight as early as possible. Have to say I walked around a bit like an old lady for the first few days.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well for you

DaisySteiner Fri 30-Sep-11 21:05:59

You might find it easier to feed lying down at first. It's also a jolly useful skill to have for night feeds generally smile

FRowlands Fri 30-Sep-11 21:12:21

Thanks for the info everyone. The nearer it gets the more I'm worrying, but reassuring to know I could be up and about ( in a limited way!) in a relatively short space of time, and that midwives can help out!! Cheers again!!

IssyStark Fri 30-Sep-11 21:30:38

I had a c-section with my son with a spinal at the Princess Anne, Southampton (the OBEM place). Obv until the catheter came out (about 5 hours after I came out of theatre) I was bed bound, but I was encouraged to get up and move about as soon as possible to help the healing process. Once the catheter was out I did all the care myself or with my husband (there was no restriction on visiting hours for partners).

During the time I was bed-bound, the midwives and nurses helped me by passing me my son for feeding, checking his nappy etc but luckily for us all, he and I mainly slept (it wasn't a planned section and I'd been up labouring for a well over a day so was knackered).

I found the rugby/sideways hold best for breastfeeding with my scar and once home used piles of pillows to help bring baby up to the same level as my breasts without having to take the whole weight of him in my arms. I tried feeding lying down but the difference in size between my breasts and my son's head just didn't make it possible until he was a couple of month's out.

The Princess Anne policy was usually to keep you in for three days after a c-section but I felt fine and missed my home comforts so went home after 2 days which they were fine with as we'd established feeding and done all the newborn checks. I'd have gone home even earlier if I'd felt up to being a bit more bolshi.

paddyclamp Fri 30-Sep-11 21:54:32

Don't worry, you'll be fine...i had the catheter out and was walking round less than 12 hours later..baby didn't wake up much in that time..i managed to do everything myself and just took paracetemol for a few days..i had a very positive experience..the only discomfort i had was from the shaving they did (some hospitals don't bother doing this now!!) .. Good luck smile

Spellcheck Fri 30-Sep-11 22:03:56

I had two emergency c-sections, and found afterwards they made me wear extremely sexy flight socks...and encouraged plenty of moving about as soon as possible. Great advice above from other people. One thing I will say is when lying in bed and getting up, put your knees up to your chest before getting up, kind of 'roll' out of bed, so you don't pull your stitches.

By the way, I also had a natural delivery, and going to the toilet after a c-section is far easier! With painkillers, it's really not that bad at all when picking up baby etc!

Got an elective c-section coming up in March, not worried at all. Good luck! smile

Ragwort Fri 30-Sep-11 22:07:26

I was also given loads of help after an EMCS - I don't think I really had to do anything, and I was kept in for six days - the nurses even took the baby away at night when he yelled a bit to let me sleep blush.

BiscuitNibbler Fri 30-Sep-11 22:35:00

My bed had a nifty electric motor which raised the head end and helped you sit up. Absolutely fantastic for the first couple of days.

Didn't change a nappy until I got home, as midwifes / HCAs did it for me at first and DH did it the rest of the time.

YankNCock Fri 30-Sep-11 22:40:56

I had an EMCS and hardly did anything for the first 24 hours. Between hospital staff and DH, I didn't need to do anything except have snuggles!

shuckleberryfinn Fri 30-Sep-11 23:12:10

Honestly it's not that bad. I've had 2 sections, one emergency and one elective. both times the catheter was out after about 11 hours, I was up (ok so I looked ridiculous), could walk around, pick them up, change them on the bed and the buzzer was at my fingertip and when I pressed it people came and helped. It was fine, it will be fine. You will manage.

cowboylover Fri 30-Sep-11 23:19:52

I agree you will get help and you will be fine so please don't be to worried!

Make the most of the beds with buttons to get it low to get on and then up to the hight of the crib so get the baby in and out as easy as possible. Good luck x

CBear6 Sat 01-Oct-11 00:09:05

I had a caesarean two weeks ago. The section itself was at 11:15am (ish). I was in recovery until I could wiggle my toes, keep down a glass of water, and my bleeding had slowed - I think about 2hrs in total. I was in bed with catheter and a fluids drip (I have low BP) overnight, 7am the next morning both were taken out, they got me standing, and I walked to the shower. I also had to walk back and forth to the loo once the catheter was out and had to put a measuring pot in the loo so they could check how much wee was being produced (not sure if all hospitals do that though).

The first night, when I was stuck in bed, I just buzzed and the MWs came and passed the baby to me for feeding but they changed her nappies and clothes and tucked her into the cot. Having an electric bed that could be adjusted was a big help, lowest setting for getting in/out, highest setting for reaching into the cot, raise/lower the back rest to help you sit up/lie down.

Make sure your DP/other visitors leave everything in your reach before they leave for the day and don't be shy about asking for help. If you need to cough/sneeze/laugh then pressing a pillow to the cut makes it easier and less twingey. If you want to sleep on your side then put a pillow under your tummy for support. I won't lie, for the first few days there will be times when it feels like your insides will fall out of the cut - they won't and the feeling passes. Things improve loads around day 6 when they take the bead out and the wound doesn't feel so tight after that. Two weeks ago I couldn't imagine ever even walking again because I was so tired and sore right after it but now it's much better, I'm not turning cartwheels yet but I'm mobile and nowhere near as sore unless I overdo things.

One last tip - drink either peppermint tea or peppermint cordial in warm water. Sections give you awful trapped wind and the peppermint will relieve it.

Chynah Sat 01-Oct-11 11:06:15

I had 2 ELCS - the nurses offered very little help but it was fine. Those electric beds are great for helping you sit and reach baby etc. The spinal doesn't last too long and once you've got some movement back you can get about carefully. Don't worry you will manage.

Lotkinsgonecurly Sat 01-Oct-11 11:13:02

With my first ds I was in Epsom General and they were fantastic. Lots of help but encouragement to do it myself. Although I did have to walk to the reception desk with my catheter bag asking them to take it out as I thought I would burst!

One lady overnight managed to get ds to sleep after I went to sleep and I had a good 6 hours sleep. Bless her. Woke up and he was starving!

Imnotaslimjim Sat 01-Oct-11 11:27:39

I was bedbound for 3 days post ELCS. Nothing wrong with the CS, I had severe SPD that took its time to clear. The MW's we're fantastic though. I was in a private room, and they stuck their head in every half hour or so to make sure we we're ok. And there was always someone to answer the buzzer. Was very strange to wake up on the 4th day and find I could walk as well as I could before I was PG!

ShowOfHands Sat 01-Oct-11 11:34:13

I've had two CS. With both I was fully mobile within hours and discharged 12hrs post the first one.

I had my 2nd 4 weeks ago today and it was done at 3.30ish and by early evening I was up, caring for ds and moving around (albeit slowly). It's a good idea to get up asap. The spinal starts to wear off very quickly, you'll be able to move your legs in recovery and within a few short hours will be able to walk/care for your baby.

You just ask for help if you need it but I didn't. I did all nappies/dressing/feeding with ease.

Don't panic. It won't necessarily be hard at all. And ask for drugs if it hurts. They'll give you diamorphine while you're still in theatre and then diclofenac and paracetamol for afterwards. I found I didn't need any painkillers.

dreamingbohemian Sat 01-Oct-11 11:42:01

Take your pain meds as scheduled -- don't wait for it to hurt -- this will help keep you mobile. They will probably be encouraging you to move around very quickly.

You can walk and get out of bed even with the catheter in (just a bit tricky managing the tubes but you get used to it).

Before your visitors leave put everything you could possibly need on the table within reach.

Hopefully you won't be in long! I was only in overnight with an EMCS. The quicker you start moving around, the quicker you can leave!

dreamingbohemian Sat 01-Oct-11 11:46:08

Also, some may not approve of this, but I tucked some paracetamol into my hospital bag before going in... after the section I was supposed to be taking it every four hours (I think) but they were so busy that i never got it in time, so I ended up using my own supply.

I'm sure it's against the rules, but it really helped, I managed to stay relatively pain-free which really helped me get mobile and go home sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now