Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

8 weeks pregnant...need advice

(10 Posts)
Lulabelle Fri 30-Sep-11 12:27:49

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who has asked me for advice and I din't know the answer. I'm hoping someone can help...

My friend is 7 weeks pregnant with a much longed for baby. She has had some problems with miscarriage in the past but AFAIK this is the furthest she has got.

She was telling me last weekend that she had really bad pains in her back and cramps in her tummy, GP checked her out and sent her to hospital for check up and to rule out ectopic pg. It was all fine and she was sent home.

She was still in pain over the weekend but not as bad then she was telling me she didn't feel herself, groggy and tired but it sounded like the usual morning/day sickness and I told her that. I know she has taken a few days off from work this week as she was feeling rough but I know she is also really worrying about the pg.

Having spoken to her this morning she is even more worried that today all the pains have gone, no tenderness and no feeling sick. She is now worrying that this is the start of something bad happening. I told her that I had good days too / days off from sickness and it may be that the rest was all she needed. However, she is looking to me for reassurance and I don't want to reassure her to the point she feels she doesn't need to get checked over but again don't want to not.

I've told her that if she wants to put her mind at ease she should see GP but tbh I'm not sure what they are going to (be able) to tell her.

Any ideas? Does this sounf right?

pinkpeony Fri 30-Sep-11 12:45:18

If she is 7-8 weeks, then she can have an early scan (can have it done privately if her hospital won't do it). By now there should be a heartbeat visible if everything going ok. Am assuming that the hospital must have scanned her already to rule out ectopic, but scans are the only way you can see if everything is ok.

cece Fri 30-Sep-11 12:46:51

Some hospitals allow you to self refer yourself for an early scan if you have pain/bleeding. Could she do that - at 7 weeks they should be able to see something.

PamBeesly Fri 30-Sep-11 12:50:17

you can tell your friend I lost my symptoms at around this stage too and 2 weeks later they were back with a bang, its common for them to go, but very worrying of course.

Lulabelle Fri 30-Sep-11 12:56:53

Thanks to all of you.

She did have a scan to rule out the ectopic and they saw the heartbeat then so she knows at that point she was ok. Its just that she is feeling so much better today than she has been she is worried. PamBeesly, that is reassuring to know.

Thank you again.

kat2504 Fri 30-Sep-11 13:13:32

If she has had miscarriages she is going to worry about every single thing anyway. Symptoms, twinges, absence of symptoms etc. It's just what pregnancy after a loss is like. You find anything and everything to worry about. The fact that she has had the scan is excellent news but it won't stop the worrying for long. I had a second early scan at 9 weeks for reassurance and that helped me a bit.
I have had next to no symptoms.

AKP79 Fri 30-Sep-11 13:26:08

I'd imagine the pain is from her uterus stretching, some people find that the pain they experience is worse than others. There's a lot going on in there growing and stretching to make room for the little one! As others have said it's also really common for symptoms to come and go, this happened to me and I totally freaked out, but it's all seems to be pretty normal.

Like Kat2404 says the miscarriage will be putting her on edge.

themightyskim Fri 30-Sep-11 20:17:20

I lost my symtoms at 8 weeks too, and Ive suffered with lots of pain and a bit of brown spotting, all I can say is Im 11 weeks now and they are back with avengance even with the pain and spotting! hope shes ok smile

Jules125 Fri 30-Sep-11 22:17:14

I lost all symptoms at 7 weeks (I think I only had them for < week!) so this can happen - DD is now 9 months and very much alive and healthy!

Once you've seen a heartbeat on a scan the risk of miscarriage is quite low, even for women with previous losses (I've been in that position too). There are no guarantees of course but its a very positive sign. Is your friend aware of that? I've had several miscarriages but never after a scan with a heartbeat.

MrsWifty Fri 30-Sep-11 22:35:25

Hi, just to say I also had days where my symptoms disappeared in my latest pregnancy, which resulted in my very healthy DS. I did have two miscarriages before then bit iirc, pregnancy symptoms slowly faded away after bleeding started in those cases - not a sudden stop like the successful one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now