Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you request induction at 37 weeks?

(41 Posts)
SusieQ73 Fri 30-Sep-11 11:54:50

I'm 26 weeks into a very complicated pregnancy. Cervical stitch, steroids at 24 weeks, bulging membranes and a cervix showing signs of funnelling!
I had a c section at 36 weeks with ds1 and ds2 was sadly stillborn naturally at 24 weeks.
So, my question is can I ask to be induced at 37 weeks when the stitches come out (assuming I get that far!)? I can have a section but would prefer to avoid staying in hospital so would like to try for a natural delivery. I want to get this baby out asap.
Anyone had any luck requesting early induction?

Wormshuffler Fri 30-Sep-11 12:08:36

I don't think they like to induce ladies who have had previous c-sections due to the added strain induction puts on a scar.

Marne Fri 30-Sep-11 12:12:37

Talk to your midwife (no harm in asking) but can i also say 'you can be out of hospital quickly with a C section (planned c section), maybe just a 1 night stay', i'm sure the midwife will do whats best for you and your baby.

TheMitfordsMaid Fri 30-Sep-11 12:15:43

I was induced at 38 weeks with my 2nd and delivered naturally after having an emergency c section with my first. Good luck!

motherinferior Fri 30-Sep-11 12:21:58

I think you are unlikely to get an induction before 38 weeks.

SusieQ73 Fri 30-Sep-11 12:30:31

Just 1 night after a c-section? I was in for 5 after ds1!
Can I ask why no induction before 38 weeks? Isn't 37 considered full term? I assume that's why the stitches come out at 37.

TheMitfordsMaid Fri 30-Sep-11 12:33:26

I was told 3 days minimum for a section, 1 day naturally.

grumpypants Fri 30-Sep-11 12:36:03

i was in one night after my 4th section! you can do it - i was out before elevenses!

MustControlFistOfDeath Fri 30-Sep-11 12:50:08

My MW told me that they won't induce until 41 weeks as it can lead to problems if the cervix is not ready to dilate - apparently this can give rise to slow labour with increased risk of c-section. I begged but she wouldn't budge.

Can I ask - why don't you want to go into labour naturally? (apart from the obvious fedup-ness that 37 weeks plus brings)

HoHoLaughingMonster Fri 30-Sep-11 12:52:51

I guess how long you stay after CS will depend on your hospitals policy and how you feel / how the op went. Even minor complications with you or your LO and you'll probably be asked to stay in longer. I would speak to your midwife / consultant. You can only ask, and they will be able to advise you best as they'll have your notes and know your history. Good luck smile

bamboostalks Fri 30-Sep-11 12:52:54

Without wanting to be gloomy, I think you may not reach 37 weeks anyway considering the amount of complicating factors you have.

SusieQ73 Fri 30-Sep-11 13:14:30

thanks bamboostalks - i'm trying to stay positive so that really wasn't helpful.

MustControlFistOfDeath - I would prefer not to have the uncertainty of going in to labour naturally. I had a very tough time last year including almost a month in hospital before ds2 was stillborn.

mrsrvc Fri 30-Sep-11 13:17:37

I have just recently had conversations with Mw and consultant re induction after a c- section and they have basically said no. I also have a complicated history though different to yours, and cannot think about going overdue or even really to 40w, so I am going for a ELCS at 38w. Hope yourMW or consultant can give you some more advice

SusieQ73 Fri 30-Sep-11 13:30:43

Thanks mrsrvc - what were their reasons for saying no? Is 38 weeks the earlier they will do a section?
I haven't got as far as discussing it with my consultant - it's only in the last few days that I have begun to think that this actually may have a positive outcome.

bamboostalks Fri 30-Sep-11 13:38:45

Apologies did not mean to be insensitive. Have been there myself so I know it is tough going through subsequent pregnancies but perhaps you need to be more realistic in planning your care? I think from a professional point of view, you would be a really poor candidate for induction at any point. I would have a section, and did have a section in that scenario.

mrsrvc Fri 30-Sep-11 13:41:49

Risks of uterine rupture due to the strength of the drugs. Not worth it! I would have tried a vbac but even my consultant said she couldn't see why I would!! 38 weeks is the earliest, and the tend to prefer 39. They generally make an assesment of the risks and your circumstances. I lost my first sondue to a birth accident and he was a big boy, ds2 was due on ds1 birthday and a 39w section would have been ds1 due date. So I was given 38w...

ballstoit Fri 30-Sep-11 13:44:30

Sorry to hear of the loss of your DS2...this must be an incredibly tough pregnancy.

I think that the removal of the stitch often prompts labour to start, this has happened to 2 friends of mine, both of whom had cervical stitch following previous stillbirth. However, if labour did not begin spontaneously, I think it's quite likely that your consultant would agree to induction. I would definitely request this at your next appointment, and if it's refused, request a second opinion and a written explanation why it has been refused.

As an aside, time spent in hospital following CS can only ever be recommended. You can, of course, choose to go home against recomendations, and the hospital would need to facilitate this through giving you medication and arranging community midwife visits. You would probably have to sign a disclaimer, which would state you had chosen to go home against medical recommendation.

motherinferior Fri 30-Sep-11 13:45:54

I am very sorry for your loss, mrsvc.

The reason they're reluctant to induce/section before 38 weeks is because of lung maturity - the lungs do a lot of developing in the last few weeks, iirc, and obviously there's no way of telling just how mature your baby is (lots of babies do clearly get themselves born before 38 weeks, including one of mine!)

In your place I would prefer an elective section to induction.

motherinferior Fri 30-Sep-11 13:46:46

Sorry, I should have said that about loss to both of you.

GreenMonkies Fri 30-Sep-11 13:49:29

Induction is not really recommended after a c-section. Increased risk of scar rupture and highly likely to result in an emergency section anyway. Surely better to wait for spontaneous onset (which will probably be when stitch comes out) or go for an elective section.

bluelaguna Fri 30-Sep-11 13:53:59

I've had 2 inductions for different complications at 37 weeks. My body didn't want to labour as I was short of term and the artificial contractions produced by the induction drugs are stronger than natural contractions. For this reason, I think the best option for you is a planned csection. I would think that it would be perfectly reasonable for this to be at 37 weeks and mine were both fine to go straight onto the postnatal ward at this gestation.

SusieQ73 Fri 30-Sep-11 14:00:20

Thanks bamboostalks - I am probably over sensitive on this topic! I am possibly not being realistic but the thoughts of staying in the hospital for more than 1 or 2 nights causes me sleepless nights. I was in the room beside the one where my son died for my cervical stitich procedure and found it very distressing. It may be that a section is the only way I can deliver the baby early. DH found our sons birth the hardest part of the whole process. I stupidly opted for no pain relief - the reasons seemed valid at the time! From his point of view a section is the least stressful option but he understands my reluctance to stay in hospital. I know I may never get far enough to actually have a choice.
mrsrvc - I understand your reasons and it's good that they are being sensitive re the dates. How many weeks are you?

SusieQ73 Fri 30-Sep-11 14:05:31

I thought removal of the stitch would mean that labour would start but my consultant said that because it will have been in so long, since 18 weeks, that scar tissue may have formed around it. I don't know if this would then exclude natural delivery or not.

CheeseandGherkins Fri 30-Sep-11 14:17:28

I'm so sorry to hear about your ds2. We lost our daughter in December at 37 weeks to stillbirth and I'm now 16 weeks tomorrow (complicated pregnancy now also). I'm sure if you spoke to your consultant about your concerns they would indeed deliver the baby at 37 weeks or even earlier, depending on circumstances. I was told myself that I'd be induced at 37 weeks by the hospital that I had our daughter at but I've now changed hospital and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes (on insulin) so it changes things a bit.

I think that you could also opt for a c-section but you really need to discuss the pros and cons with the hospital.

I understand why you'd want an early delivery and they would most likely give you steroids to mature the baby's lungs but in my mind, and what I was told by my previous consultant, a possible stay in scbu is better than a dead baby. I'm obviously sensitive on this topic too hence my views. I know that scbu isn't easy either as DD1 was there was in for a week after she was born at 36 weeks.

CheeseandGherkins Fri 30-Sep-11 14:22:35

Forgot to say that I really don't like the idea (terrifies me) of reaching 37 weeks at all as that seems a point that would be the end for me. I wouldn't want to deliver at 37 weeks because of losing Scarlett then. I don't know how I'll feel in a couple of months so I'm trying to keep my mind open for now but the more I think about it all the more scared and irrational I become. It's incredibly difficult to even accept being pregnant again, let alone thinking I'll bring a baby home this time. I just don't think it will happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now