Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gum pain near wisdom tooth - 24 weeks pregnant

(16 Posts)
CountingDown321 Fri 30-Sep-11 10:24:55

Had some pain near my impacted wisdom tooth at 18 weeks, but not enough to take paracetamol, and managed to clear it with a clean by the dentist and a week of drinking soup, eating yoghurt, no chewing basically.

Now I am 24 weeks and the pain has come back. I am wondering whether I need to be on antibiotics or not. The pain is still not that bad. It's more like tenderness, and very localised on the gum. A couple of days ago there was a little bit of pus, but none since.

Do I need antibiotics? Or are antibiotics for more serious cases of infection?

Would I harm the baby by not taking any treatment? The pus worries me, but taking antibiotics not ideal either (I am allergic to penicillin so have few safe + effective options).

MissMI5 Fri 30-Sep-11 11:08:55

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. I have a similar one, my gums flare up a lot around my wisdom teeth, especially in the last couple of weeks (I am 36 weeks pg). Anyway, I have been to see the dentist and there doesn't seem to be a major problem, however I keep my gums closely monitored in case they get infected. I brush (gently!) 2 times a day and use corsodyl before going to bed. It really helps and it seems to take the inflammation out and stop any infection. Maybe it's worth giving it a go?
Having said this, if you have an infection don't leave it untreated, my dentist told me that there are links between mouth infections and heart diseases. Sorry I don't mean to scare you or anything, but better to be safe than sorry! And dental treatment is free in pregnancy for a reason so make the most of it! Good luck!!

Sugarkane Fri 30-Sep-11 11:24:32

I also get this and find that when this pain starts I get a couple of days before the pain gets too bad to handle. I found it best when I get this warning pain to use corsodyl about 3 times a day and brush my teeth gently a lot normally I brush evertime ive been to toilet in these first days, I know it sound excessive but it works and 90% of the time im able to fight the infection and pain before it gets too bad. Im also allergic to penicillin so try not to let it get to the stage where I need antibiotics. Good luck.

jumpingtheshark Fri 30-Sep-11 12:29:42

I had this when I was about 6/7 weeks pregnant. The dentist wouldn't give me any antibiotics so gave it a good clean and then gave me a syringe with a blunt needle in it. I had to (brace yourself) rummage about all under the gum line with the blunt needle whilst syringing Corsodyl into it. Was a bit grim but did the trick. If it carries on, I would go back to your dentist - there are antibiotics they can give you in pg if you really need them.

madrush Fri 30-Sep-11 12:32:07

Gargle with salt water might also help.

Ishtar2410 Fri 30-Sep-11 12:38:30

I get tooth pain with pregnancy and had an abscess once. Dentist was very reluctant to prescribe antibiotics, so prescribed Corsodyl. I had to use it 3 x a day - it's foul stuff - but it did the trick.

Why not go back and have a chat with your dentist OP?

CountingDown321 Mon 03-Oct-11 12:36:23

Thanks for the reassurance!

I managed to get rid of the gum pain by using my sonic toothbrush for a couple of days. Seems it's more gentle on the gum than my soft bristled manual brush hmm

Fingers crossed I can keep it at bay for another three months or so smile

Biscuitsandtea Mon 03-Oct-11 13:49:59

I was just coming on to post about something similar and saw this thread. I've got a bit of gum pain near one of my wisdom teeth - not too bad, just a bit like when it was originally coming through.

Obviously pain killers are out. i wasn't sure if it warranted a trip to the dentist (I only had my checkup last week). I was thinking of trying bonjela or something (are we allowed that when pg?)

Or should I try Corsodyl? What's the difference between that and, say, Listerine?

CountingDown321 Mon 03-Oct-11 16:08:04

Hi Biscuitsandtea, I'd personally want to check with a doctor/dentist about things like Corsodyl and Listerine, just because I've read on the internet that Listerine shouldn't be used in pregnancy, and at the pharmacy they were really against it too!

Don't know if it's just overcaution though, like so many pregnancy warnings...

Maybe give your dentist a call?

I'm the same, in that the pain level doesn't seem to warrant yet another check-up. And she seemed a bit extraction-happy last time I was there - said if the pain came back again during 2nd trimester she'd recommend removing it, even though I said it didn't hurt that much. I'm more of the 'surely you'd try the alternatives before putting yourself through dental surgery while pregnant' school of thought... grin

Biscuitsandtea Mon 03-Oct-11 16:17:08

Seriously! Listerine not allowed in pg!! Argh!!! I've used it for ages and ages! Possibly all through last pg too! Eeeeek!!!

I think toothwise I'll leave it until wed and if it is still hurting I'll call the dentist.

Off to panic about listerine now confused

CountingDown321 Mon 03-Oct-11 16:34:00

Oh no! It's not worth the panic! Didn't mean to suggest that at all. Esp as you've used it through pregnancy.

Last pregnancy, I stopped using flouride toothpaste at around 7 months after sudden panic on the possible side effects. Just ended up damaging my teeth! blush

Biscuitsandtea Mon 03-Oct-11 16:34:23

Just phoned my dentist re listerine and they reckon it is ok?

Still holding out on the toothache....

starfishmummy Mon 03-Oct-11 16:46:03

If it is an abcess it may burst (hence the ouss) and feel better but then build back up again - painfully. (AMHIK) You would be best to see your dentist for advice.

starfishmummy Mon 03-Oct-11 16:46:30

puss, not ouss!

Biscuitsandtea Mon 03-Oct-11 16:47:56

Would an abscess be more painful than this though? So far it is just a dull ache?

Maybe I ought to see if they can fit me in later in the week... I can always cancel if it goes away of its own accord.....

Biscuitsandtea Mon 03-Oct-11 16:48:52

(Silly question, but what does AMHIK stand for? <thicko emoticon> blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now