Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If this carries on I will go mad

(16 Posts)
roz1982 Thu 29-Sep-11 10:31:22

havent had a decent nights sleep in weeks. Mostly due to restless leg syndrome that seems to creep into my whole body. This is what I've tried
-having a relaxing bath before bed
- having dh rub legs before bed
- relaxing sounds on iPad as I'm going to sleep
Cutting down on caffeine which is mare as am exhausted zombie. Still have 2 weeks left at work but have not made it in two days this week because I'm an emotional wreck and so exhausted. Seeing midwife this avo out of desperation. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you cope? I'm at the end of my tether.

KatyN Thu 29-Sep-11 13:20:38

I've not got restless legs but I'm struggling to sleep. Totally doing my head in, my only recommendation is to try and sleep during the day. I keep meaning to get up during the night to do my 'day jobs' .
Maybe you just have to accept you aren't going to do much work for the next two weeks?

LB1982 Thu 29-Sep-11 14:13:40

I'm having exactly the same problem roz. Night before last it was so bad I ended up sleeping the sofa because I was so worried about waking DP - plus I was laying there sobbing like a baby - Mix of hormones and exhaustion I think. DP came and got me at 5.30am because he woke up and wondered where I was. Found me amongst dozens of snotty damp tissues lol. He was livid I was on the sofa bless him smile

Last night I decided to read until I literally couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. When my eyes were half closed I carried on reading so I knew that once I was gone that was it. I slept really well last night for the first time in ages smile

I also have a pregnancy pillow (long straight on from Argus) and cuddle it and put it between my knees. This helps immensely!

I'm going to keep trying the reading thing hoping it might work. I do know how you feel and you have my deepest empathy. I absolutely dread night time.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 29-Sep-11 14:16:38

Me neither but not restless legs, just restless me. Without fail I wake every night at 1.30 and am awake till 5. Doesn't matter what I eat, drink or what time I go to bed. You have my sympathies too. Whatever the reason, it sucks.

roz1982 Thu 29-Sep-11 17:26:36

It's a bloody nightmare isnt it?? LB1982 that's what I had to do last night, first at 2 am I sprayed hot water on my legs thinking for some reason that might help and then went on sofa at about three coz just couldn't bear being in bed awake anymore!!! Midwife was very understanding but not much help in terms of solution, dont think there is one really!! She said could try taking an anti histamine at night and told me to go docs and get signed off. Even my bump feels restless it's horrible!! I never though I'd have this much trouble sleeping. In midwives waiting room was sat next to another woman who looked similar stage to me and she looked so calm and rested and together. Next to her I was like a gibbering pale wreck staring listlessly at the goldfish!!

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 29-Sep-11 17:32:07

Oh God, every other pregnant woman I sit next to looks glowing and calm with a perfectly rounded bump while I sit there glowering and falling to bits like something out of the Exorcist!

stripeybump Thu 29-Sep-11 17:34:49

Bananas are supposed to be good - can't remember why - zinc possibly? Oh maybe magnesium. Anyway worth a shot!

roz1982 Thu 29-Sep-11 17:37:28

Hahaha gwendolinemary!! Glad it's not just me!! And yes I've heard that about bananas defo worth a shot.

Iggly Thu 29-Sep-11 17:37:49

Can you finish work earlier? Do they have somewhere for you to lie down in the day? I had a sneaky 10 mins today (am 30 weeks)

roz1982 Thu 29-Sep-11 18:53:50

Iggly, work have actually blessedly, been really good and supportive and let me work flexibly I'm a teacher so if I haven't got any lessons which isn't many now anyway aa they are being taken over by other teachers, I can just bugger off home.unfortunately it's just got to the point now where I'm so tired that driving in feels really dangerous and I just can't bear being there, that's if I manage to get me shit together in the morning in the first place! On Monday I got in car, put clutch down, though mmmm that feels spongy and realised I had my slippers on!!!!! Midwife reckons I should get signed off until maternity. Might see how I get on. Only got two weeks left now.....

Iggly Thu 29-Sep-11 19:34:38

sad I agrees with your MW - especially as it sounds dangerous to drive! Are your iron levels ok?

roseum Fri 30-Sep-11 22:52:21

Got told glass of tonic water before bed helped with restless legs (quinine = muscle relaxant) can't say its made a massive difference, but might work for you? Have found leg massage - not gentle, but as firm as possible - helps. Still I keep waking up at dawn - really annoying.

roz1982 Sat 01-Oct-11 16:15:50

I think iron is ok yeah, had bloods done few weeks ago an they were fine...could I be low now though?? Doc has signed me off for a week which is such a relief and have been managing to get a bit more shut eye if I lie in in morn!! Dh is goin pub tonight so I'll get him to get me a tonic water to see if it helps!! Ta for help and advice mums netters!! Xx

roz1982 Sat 01-Oct-11 16:18:07

Yes roseum I agree with leg massage thing, I spend most nights barking "harder!" at dh he he he, not in the way he would like anymore though!!!! grin

StickyGhost Sat 01-Oct-11 16:59:32

How many weeks are u roz? I feel so sorry for u, I've had the same thing throughout my pregnancy and it really does make u go crazy doesn't it? No-one can appreciate how frustrating it is and exhausting. I remember all the glowing happy ladies at my ante-natal class aswell who were well rested and getting plenty of sleep, while I was a wreck and could hardly bear to hold a conversation. The one (perhaps) positive they highlighted was that at least I might have an edge when the baby comes; having gotten used to the lack of sleep and broken nights. I tried to bear this in mind when I was in tears at 3am/4am/5am etc!
I found that my legs were really bad in the second trimester, but have got a bit better the further along I've got; sometime after about 34 weeks they weren't quite as bad. I hope maybe this might be the same with you.
Other tips I found helped a bit were having a hot water bottle on ur legs (have it there even before the restlessness starts), and I got a small rubber bouncy ball that I stand on and roll around on my feet quite hard which does help a fair bit. Also agree on the iron things; Nettle Tea is a super iron tonic!

Hope things improve, really do feel ur pain!

roz1982 Sun 02-Oct-11 09:52:20

Thanks for advice sticky ghost. Im 34 weeks and it's been going on for about 3/4 weeks now. I've been signed off work for next week and over the weekend have slept much better. I think just the pressure of work made it alot worse! Now I know I can sleep at other times if not at night and get decent lie ins! I even went to a friends house last night hurrah!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now