Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this labour?????

(15 Posts)
milkysmum Thu 29-Sep-11 09:03:55

Hi all. I am 37+3 weeks. Been feeling really sickly for about a week and this morning started with upsett stomach (sorry tmi). For the past couple of hours have been getting painful period type pains, no regular pattern as yet but stop me in my tracks when they come although am able to breathe through them. There is a midwife drop in session at the local childrens centre across the road that starts in 2 hours- is it worth going over to this rather than panicking and rushing off to the hospital? Any advice welcome.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 29-Sep-11 09:14:05

You sound pretty calm at the moment, which is good. I would pop along to the drop in centre if things stay as they are. If things suddenly change, the pains get worse or your waters break then contact the hospital/MW centre etc that you're hoping to birth at. Good luck!

Purplebuns Thu 29-Sep-11 09:15:12

Relax, they could be just braxton hicks. However, the fact your body is clearing out would suggest labour. Is it your first? If they settle into a pattern than call your midwife, and if your waters break. Go for a walk to encourage them and call a friend or someone to be with you if you are at all worried. Likewise go to the drop in. Good luck!

milkysmum Thu 29-Sep-11 09:42:52

It's my second so you'd think I'd have more of an idea!!! Had very prolonged early labour first time round with many a trips to hospital, failure to progress past 5cm and ECS after about 3 days. DH works about an hour away and would need a work colleague to drive him back so don't want to have him rush back if they are only braxton hicks. Will the midwide at drop in session be able to do an exam to see if I'm dilating or will she just go on what I tell her do you think?

Purplebuns Thu 29-Sep-11 09:45:45

I don't think it will be a sterile setting for an examination and will probably just go by what you say. I think you have plenty of time so wouldn't about DH just yet. Are they getting more regular?

Purplebuns Thu 29-Sep-11 09:46:10

*worry about DH.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 29-Sep-11 10:05:29

Purple, why would it not be a sterile setting? My MW did internal checks in the drop in centre

Purplebuns Thu 29-Sep-11 10:09:25

Really? Well if they did before, then it must be fine. Our local CCs don't have that sort of thing on HV check ups and are very much child play areas.etc

Purplebuns Thu 29-Sep-11 18:35:26

How are doing? Cuddling a baby?

milkysmum Mon 03-Oct-11 01:36:27

waters broke thursday afternoon, ds delivered by ecs at 6am friday morning. now trying to bf hence poor typing! someone tell me this gets easier- not sure how long i can do this constant feeding with no sleep!

Toffeefudgecake Mon 03-Oct-11 02:21:28

Congratulations, Milky! I didn't contribute to this thread before, but just spotted it on 'active threads' and didn't want to ignore it. How lucky you are to be cuddling your newborn baby [broody emoticon]. My boys are 5 and 11.

But it's such hard work, I know, and it feels as if the hard work goes on forever. I had to stay up all night last night because my 5-year-old was sick and I could barely function today. Not sure how I managed when I was enduring sleepless night after sleepless night back in the baby days. It does gradually get better, but it feels as if it never will.

I hope you get lots of help at home. Enjoy your baby.

smile

milkysmum Mon 03-Oct-11 02:37:41

thankyou. just worried how long i could do this for. switched to ff with my dd after about a week last time for similar reasons- difficulty getting her to latchg on, sleep devravation etc. dh has just gone up to be and is clearly frustrated he can't help- he suggested he went out for formila whch i declined and his response was pretty much ' well one of us might as well sleep then' whch i guess i understand. am worriued about feeding in bed as i'm so tired would fall asleep so guess i'll be staying for th forseeable future.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Mon 03-Oct-11 04:11:59

Hi well I'm up for the same resason grin. Now have dh asleep on one side and dd on the other.

Have to say, and this doesn't seem to be a popular view on mb, but I don't expect my dh to wake whilst I bf. Seems no point he can't do anything, has to go to work and if it were the otherway round think I'd want to sleep too. On the plus side I get lie ins on both days of the weekend and lots of brownie points.

It is hard when establishing feeding. Ds is 3.5 weeks and has reflux so extra lack of sleep for me. It wil get easier. I bf dd for 8 mths and yes there are times it can be hard, and it is all on you but I really feel proud when he gets weighed that I did that blush

Toffeefudgecake Mon 03-Oct-11 08:18:37

Morning, Milky. Establishing feeding is the tricky bit, but once you are used to it it's much easier than formula feeding - there is none of the hassle of sterilising bottles, etc. I'm sorry your DH isn't being more supportive. Does he understand why you want to breastfeed? Oh, and I agree with Love - my DH never stayed awake whilst I breastfed, but he could take over at other times.

I used to breastfeed in bed all the time, by the way. DS1 once videoed me sitting up in bed, with DS2 suckling away - and I was fast asleep. I seemed to know instinctively that my baby was there even when I was asleep and never, ever changed my position, so I would wake up later to find him still nestled in my arms. It was very relaxing actually and was sometimes the only way I could sleep. Having said that, I'm not sure if I did it in the very early days when he was tiny. I may have waited until he was a little older <befuddled brain emoticon>.

Purplebuns Mon 03-Oct-11 08:31:00

If you are really tired than look up some basic cosleeping safety and take baby to bed. DD fell out of bed because I was so tired and fell asleep.
I hadn't planned to cosleep at all, never mind safely that was a 4.30am trip to hospital, that I could have avoided! If neither of you drink or smoke then you should be safe to cosleep and in the end it was saved me as DD woke up so frequently.
I am glad I perservered as I went on to bf for a long while and although hard in the first instances, by the time I had the hang of it is was so easy packing my boobs and going out rather than faffing with formula/bottles where to heat up milk and the massive bag you fit it all in.
If you need any help call your MW and it well get easier, you are quite determined as you refused DH offer when you where most likely to accept so well done you! I hope things get easier soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now