Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sonographer kept saying "he"...

(15 Posts)
addictedtofrazzles Wed 28-Sep-11 17:30:50

just had 20 week scan for dc3 and do not want to know the sex! I said i did not want to know. The trainee sonographer had a go at the end and was measuring the femur. Was pretty certain I saw that it was a boy (enormous sack and a willy in full view!!!!) but the trainee kept referring to "he".

Do you think she saw and knew? Or do you think she calls all babies "he"?

nickelbabe Wed 28-Sep-11 17:37:14

I would try to put it out of my mind, but I would also ring the dept to let them know there might be a leeetle bit of extra training needed.

you wouldn't have seen a sack in a 20-week scan, though.
the sack doesn't show until 30 weeks, iirc. you might have seen a willy, though

32notout Wed 28-Sep-11 17:38:06

I had a scan just like yours - told them I didn't want to know and sonographer threw in a few references here and there to "he"

DD is now 9 weeks old smile

I think it's quite standard for them to do this rather than refer to baby as "it". You will find out soon enough! Congrats on your pregnancy.

NatashaBee Wed 28-Sep-11 18:05:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crosshair Wed 28-Sep-11 18:07:47

I think she probably call's all babies 'he', 'it' doesnt sound very nice. smile

thisisyesterday Wed 28-Sep-11 18:11:42

yep it's just something they do.

if you say you do not want to know the sex then they try and stay away from the area. when i had mine with ds3 the sonographer told me to look away at one point as she had to go near!

addictedtofrazzles Wed 28-Sep-11 18:58:12

Thanks ladies!

Weirdly they did no gender checking (in both other scans with dc, was told to look away).

Well, 20 weeks to go to find out if my sightings were correct!

PotteringAlong Wed 28-Sep-11 20:52:44

It might just be hospital policy - we were told that they refer to all babies as she regardless just to make it seem nicer than it!

kiki22 Thu 29-Sep-11 11:08:54

every time i've had a scan they have called baby she and midwife calls baby she but i know 100% that i'm havin a boy 2 scans confirmed and seen the boy bits but still calling my poor boy she... wouldn't worry

lalabaloo Thu 29-Sep-11 13:53:01

My friend worried about this as she didn't want to know and the sonographer called her baby "he". She asked if he knew it was definitely a boy as he was calling it "he" and he said no, it's just what he calls all the babies. She now has a beautiful baby girl.

SuchFunSuchFun Thu 29-Sep-11 14:18:29

same here, ours has a policy of saying he rather than it, still don't know, 4 weeks to go!!

BedHog Thu 29-Sep-11 16:14:42

grin at Natasha's scrotum picture - that's definitely one to keep to embarrass your DS by showing it to his girlfriends in 16 years time!!!

ceebie Thu 29-Sep-11 16:19:08

I'm the same as lalabaloo - the sonographer kept saying 'he' but when I asked she just said she calls all babies 'he' and hadn't even looked herself to see what sex the baby was. A girl, as it turns out!

iklboo Thu 29-Sep-11 17:31:56

Mine kept saying 'she'. DS has a full complement of dangly bits grin

herethereandeverywhere Thu 29-Sep-11 20:08:13

My said "he", I got DD. I think they just use one or other out of habit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now