Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What will I be asked?

(4 Posts)
pep124 Wed 28-Sep-11 15:36:11

Hi,

I have my first appointment with a midwife and twelve week scan next Friday. I read somewhere that you might be asked some questions about family illnesses etc. Can anyone tell me what these might include?

The reason I ask is that I'm in a fairly complicated situation relationship-wise, and for reasons I'm trying my best to understand my bf is currently saying he doesn't want anything to do with me or the little one sad. We are, however, currently still speaking and in daily contact (despite him living 3000 miles away) so I thought it might be useful to know what they might ask so I can in turn ask him before the appt. It would be good to know some answers so I don't look like and idiot in front of the midwife, and also just in case we get to the point where he turns his back on me completely and it's too late for me to ask him...

Thanks for your help!

sleepevader Wed 28-Sep-11 15:40:26

What a difficult situation.

Just checked notes.

Family history: thromboembolism, diabetes, congential anomaly.

Remember health visitor asking more questions at greeting appt m. Will find red book and report back.

LB1982 Wed 28-Sep-11 15:45:30

Hey pep smile

They ask about medical history of both parents to little one. If you do not know the information, just let your midwife know. I think some health conditions are hereditary so they might need to keep a closer eye on you, for example, if there is a history of high blood pressure, Downs Syndrome etc.

I declared my partner's mum's asthma and his auntie's mental health problems, for example, as well as my Dad's heart disease and my mum's thrombosis. None of these things concerned her and I've not needed any additional check ups. It's a column ticking exercise.

My midwife is lovely - I'm very lucky. They also ask if there were other things that worried you. It is very important to let her know that you are going through this without the physical presence of the father. You will get extra support if you need it.

Congratulations on your pregnancy smile

BedHog Wed 28-Sep-11 16:06:04

Anything that might be hereditary and appear from day 1. This includes physical and mental problems, and some problems your female relatives might have experienced in pregnancy. Don't know if the pregnancy issues applies to the father's side of the family.

They also like to know the ethnic group of the father, firstly because some conditions are much more common in some ethnic groups, so you would be offered extra screening etc. Secondly there are sometimes size concerns with certain ethnic combinations eg. tiny Chinese women with huge Scandinavian partners, so they would check baby's growth more closely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now