Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Failed sweep

(6 Posts)
gluttom Wed 28-Sep-11 08:52:20

Feel so disappointed - had a sweep yesterday - dc3 and cervix was 3cm dilated and 50% effaced ( i know this doesn't mean much in 2nd mire pregnancies) . Dr said she managed a good stretch and sweep and I had a but of period pain yesterday pm but today - nothing. Hasn't worked has it? Am 40+3 - when can I try again? Got midwife app tomorrow - too early?

talktalktalk Wed 28-Sep-11 09:47:12

have you lost any fluid at all? because if you do and labore dosan't start they'll have to induce you.xx

Stase Wed 28-Sep-11 09:51:53

I had my second sweep yesterday, DC3 like you, 41 weeks today. A bit of a show and some cramps, and now nothing. Don't feel any different to a month ago really. Midwife said the baby's head needs to come down onto the cervix more to get things going. I think being 3cm dilated is normal after 1 or 2 pregnancies, but I think being 50% effaced is progress of a kind. They say a sweep can start things within 48 hours, so if nothing by tomorrow, definitely worth asking for another sweep.

Good luck!

harassedandherbug Wed 28-Sep-11 10:03:52

Is the head engaged? If so that's a good sign.

They should sweep again in 2/3 days, I'd be asking after 2 days if I was you. I agree with Stase that 1-2 cms dilated is normal for 2+ babies. So 3 is good sign!

I had two sweeps with dd and neither worked, end up going into labour naturally at 40+10....

Stase Wed 28-Sep-11 11:46:55

The other thing is that with my second, I went from 'not a dickie-bird' to baby out in about 14 hours, so even though you feel like it'll never happen once you go overdue, it can happen quickly and spontaneously, and if the sweep was only yesterday, it still has time to work before you see the midwife again. Keep waking and bouncing! smile

gluttom Thu 29-Sep-11 15:44:55

2nd sweep today - not sure it will work - didn't even hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now