Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5 1/2 weeks in and I can't sleep

(5 Posts)
Enfyshedd Tue 27-Sep-11 23:52:12

So this is my first pregnancy and I should be 6 weeks in on Thursday. I haven't had a decent night's sleep since Saturday night and it's starting to annoy me. All the people I've spoken to in real life so far have told me how I'll be constantly exhausted and will sleep most of the time until about 3 months, meanwhile, I'm going to bed and waking up for 2 hours in the middle with my brain on overdrive.

I need my sleep!!!!

Any suggestions/comments?

notlettingthefearshow Wed 28-Sep-11 00:00:35

Yeah that's normal. Do you normally sleep well? It will calm down a bit, but if you're prone to insomnia anyway, pregnancy makes it worse. I'm 27 weeks and rarely get a full night's sleep. I either wake up every hour or two or like you am awake for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. It is tiring!!!

Advice would be the usual stuff about sleeping well - have a bath, don't use computer in bed, have a warm drink .. basically try to wind down before bed. Oh, and don't go to bed until you're tired.

Enfyshedd Wed 28-Sep-11 00:05:18

Usually not too bad - have the odd few nights a couple of times a year, but I don't think this is boding well this early on. Worst thing is, I feel tired until my head hits the pillow!

zippy539 Wed 28-Sep-11 00:08:45

Try writing a list of everything that's bothering you before you go to bed - from major things - ("Bloody norah I'm having a BABY!!) to minor things (phone X, post letter). If you can't be bothered writing it down just list them mentally. It might be that the hormones are making you more anxious than usual and the listing thing can 'clear the decks' allowing you to sleep. smile

melliebobs Wed 28-Sep-11 08:58:39

have to say i found out at 5 weeks and until the first scan i rarely got a good nights sleep because my mind was spinning. Prams, is it a boy or a girl, names, the scan, what if its not allright. The night after id had my scan BEST NIGHT SLEEP EVER!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now