Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

please can anyone tell me if this is good or bad, worried may be missed miscarriage

(5 Posts)
frazzled74 Tue 27-Sep-11 12:43:55

this is my scan report at 11 weeks, (i accept dates may be very wrong as i have very chaotic cycle)
gestation sac present, diameter 28.0 20.0 28.0 mm
sac site - normal
yolk sac- normal
yolk sac shape- regular
no fetal heart pulsations noted, ? too early,?non viable pregnancy
suboptimal images obtained, rescan 1 -2 weeks.
obviously if my dates are correct then this is a miscarriage but if my dates are wrong and i am only 6-7 weeks pregnant , how worried should i be ? i have a scan next wed but seems such a long time to wait, be honest with me please!

Spellcheck Tue 27-Sep-11 12:57:55

God you must be doing your nut...what did they say to you? Surely they would have said something along the lines of 'don't get your hopes up'?
Having said that, it does sound as though they simply couldn't get a good enough image and they want to try when it's bigger. That would support the 6 - 7 weeks theory.

I had a mmc in December last year at what I thought was 9 weeks. 2 weeks prior to that I had a lot of pain, and the scan (which had to be done vaginally) took ages because they couldn't locate the heartbeat, they said not to worry about that at this stage. Eventually, however, they did, but I started bleeding a few days later and after ten hideous days I had another scan. This time there was no heartbeat and the sonographer came straight out with it - 'I'm sorry, there's no heartbeat', and she said it had died at 8 weeks. They whizzed me in for a D&C that afternoon.

Sorry to wade in with my tale, but I just wanted you to know that you don't necessarily need to give up hope yet, they would have told you if they knew for definite. A friend of a friend was recently told at her routine 12 week scan that the baby wasn't compatible with life, I gather from similar tales that they can be quite blunt. It would be cruel to make you wait all that time if they knew for sure.

I am 14 weeks pg, just returned from panicky visit to A&E, sent home with a flea in my ear. I don't think the worry will ever go away, it's normal!

Sending huge hugs, please keep us updated! You'll get so much support on here. xx

kat2504 Tue 27-Sep-11 13:15:14

I'm afraid in my opinion it doesn't sound great. BUT I am surprised in that case that there is a yolk sac as when I have had the empty sac scans in the past there has not been anything at all in it.
Is it vaguely possible that you could be only 6 weeks? That would mean you got a bfp no more than 41/2 weeks ago. If not and you got a bfp more than 5 weeks ago it is much less likely to be good news.
The gestation sac is more like a 7 week size than 11 weeks though.
As the sac is bigger than 20mm if it was definitely over they would have been able to tell you for sure. All they can do now is see if it grows or not.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I had a similar situation once although on the first scan there was a weak heartbeat. I just knew that I couldn't have been that far out with my dates, and when I went back the sac had grown but it was empty. The waiting really is hideous and I do hope that you get a miracle and were wrong about your dates. It does happen.

goodnightmoon Tue 27-Sep-11 13:44:13

it's almost certainly not a viable pregnancy. Your gestational sac suggests you are 8 weeks along and there would have to be a fetal pole with heartbeat by now.

frazzled74 Tue 27-Sep-11 15:01:59

thankyou for honest replies, i think i know the outcome but am desperately clinging on to hope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now