Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why will I only be seen at the hospital until I am 26 weeks pregnant?

(3 Posts)
HappyAsIAm Tue 27-Sep-11 11:32:53

I went to my local surgery yesterday and saw the nurse, as I am 9 weeks pregnant. This is my second - my DS is 3 1/2. The nurse will arrange for my 12 week scan. But she said that from now until at least 26 weeks, I will only be seen at the hospital, and I won't see a midwife at my local surgery until then.

I was quite surprised, as throughout my first pregnancy, I only went to the hospital for one set of routine blood tests and 12 and 20 week scans. All other appointments were with the midwife at the local surgery. I have moved into another PCT area in the meantime though.

Is this standard?

kat2504 Tue 27-Sep-11 13:28:10

No it is far from standard even though it isn't your first pregnancy. I think you should have about 8 appointments in total in a subsequent pregnancy and I am pretty sure the booking appointment at 8-10 weeks and the 16 week appointment are standard for everyone.
Find out the number to contact the midwife service in your area as it is not reasonable to be told you won't be seen until 26 weeks. Perhaps you will see a hospital midwife at 12 weeks, but most people have already had their booking in appointment by then. Failing that see your GP and get him to refer you to the midwife.

I understand what you mean. For me the model is local surgery like with your first, but i know a lot of people closer to the city centre or without MW clinics in their local have to go to the AN clinic at the hospital for every appt. I really wouldn't like that so you have my sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now