Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Feeling a bit sorry for myself after a visit to the dentist...

(14 Posts)
AKP79 Tue 27-Sep-11 11:22:25

Sorry for the moan ladies, can't get hold of OH and need to just get it off my chest!

Just been to the dentist for a check up and one of my fillings had cracked, moved and was loose. The dentist managed to get it out and had a look at the cavity, she said there was a tiny bit of decay so as she wouldn't give me any anaesthetic because of the pregnancy I had two choices - have it replaced without an injection or have it packed and return after I've had the baby. She said that if I had it packed that the decay could get worse and that the decay was tiny and shouldn't cause me much pain at all. I'm a little scared of the dentist as it is, but decided to 'man up' and go for the injection free filling...

The pain was hideous and it made me faint twice... but once I'd committed I felt I had to go through with it. Have just got home and am feeling really sorry for myself with a bit of an achy too.

It wasn't just the pain that made me faint, there was loads and loads of blood everywhere. I'm not good with blood so I think that contributed to me fainting. I'm now really worried about when I have the baby, surely there'll be loads more blood then... what if I faint in labour! Is that even possible?

BonzaBlue Tue 27-Sep-11 11:26:35

I had to have a filling removed and re-done, and I had anaesthetic - I am 25 weeks pregnant and I had it about 4weeks ago .... baby moved around alot during the whole process. I am in Australia - so maybe guidelines are slightly different.

I am so sorry that you went through that horrible experience (((())))

AKP79 Tue 27-Sep-11 11:31:26

I've got a midwife appointment today so I'm going to ask her about the anaesthetic, especially if you were able to have one! It was horrible, especially when they put that metal band around my tooth to fill it. It was sitting on a nerve..... owwww!

I'm 24 weeks, so around the same stage as you... smile

BonzaBlue Tue 27-Sep-11 12:00:25

I would have fainted from the pain too ... hope you feel better now ?

SusieQ73 Tue 27-Sep-11 12:06:55

You have my sympathies! I had an infected abcess on my tooth and had it drained and the filling replaced (with a temp one) just last week at 25 weeks. My consultant said it was fine to have the anaesthetic and the dentist also said the same. I have to have the temp filling replaced after the baby arrives. I have had an operation (with spinal anaesthetic) and local anaesthetic both during this pregnancy. Hope the pain wears off soon!

AKP79 Tue 27-Sep-11 12:09:03

Feeling much better thanks ladies, I am a little annoyed though that it's sounding more and more like it's safe to have an injection though! Hmmmm x

Grumpystiltskin Tue 27-Sep-11 12:31:48

I'm a dentist and my view is that the absolutely miniscule, tiny and barely therer risk of administering an exceptionally safe medicine (anaesthetic) in a pregnant lady is preferable to:
a-Possible toothache if problems are left, progressing to infection and needing antibiotics & all the stress that goes with it.
b-Drilling a tooth without anaesthetic & causing stress hormones to be released anyway.

Glad you're feeling better and YANBU to be annoyed.

ArmageddonOuttahere Tue 27-Sep-11 12:39:30

Jeeeeez, you are a brave woman OP. At least it was free.

featherbag Tue 27-Sep-11 13:04:15

Why on earth wouldn't the dentist give you anaesthetic?!!! Sounds like a sadist to me, no reason at all why you can't have it! Get a new dentist!

AKP79 Tue 27-Sep-11 13:06:37

I'm starting to really worry now... have been really silly and googled silver fillings in pregnancy. According to the Bupa website mercury from the filling can be transferred from the filling to the placenta. I don't know what to do now!

Feeling really cross that I've had a filling without anaesthetic when I obviously could of had the injection and then they've given me a silver filling which I'm not supposed to have!!

Grumpystiltskin Tue 27-Sep-11 13:30:47

Don't worry about the mercury. Really, don't worry about it and stop googling! There is a miniscule amount of mercury released and even that isn't in a form you can absorb.

But stop googling.

AKP79 Tue 27-Sep-11 13:49:48

Thanks Grumpystiltskin smile I know googling's evil, I will stop now!

LillianGish Tue 27-Sep-11 14:00:34

You poor old thing. Just relax and be glad that it's all over now and I wanted to add that I'd rather have a baby (I've had two) than a filling any day.

AKP79 Tue 27-Sep-11 15:27:42

Just got back from my midwife check up... she was furious they didn't give me an anaesthetic! She also said that there is absolutely no reason not to have a silver filling! Glad it's all sorted now, thanks for listening to me moan ladies! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: