Talk

Advanced search

strange cravings!!!!!

(13 Posts)
curleywurley2 Mon 26-Sep-11 21:05:01

Im currently 31 weeks pregnant with baby number 2 and Ive been having the most strangest cravings!!!!
This may sound strange but I cant resist licking soap!!!! Not just any old soap it has to be the palmolive green bar of soap (I have my own bar in the bathroom cupboard for my own licking pleasure lol)!
I have no idea if anyone else has had any similar or even stranger cravings? Totally confused as I never had any cravings with 1st pregnancy.
Also find it hard to resist biting the bathroom sponge lol bath time is a strange experience at the moment xxx

m1nn1em0u5e Mon 26-Sep-11 21:13:44

Its called Pica!..My aunt craved coal & chalk!...x

BonzaBlue Mon 26-Sep-11 21:36:58

I think I might have read somewhere / been told - that if you have pica you are actually anaemic ... are you getting enough iron ?

I could be wrong of course LOL - so I am as much help as a choclate teapot - sorry !

crazynanna Mon 26-Sep-11 21:41:52

I used to chew the corner of a firelighter..and spit it out blush
<<runs away>>

dribbleface Mon 26-Sep-11 22:01:13

i had serious cravings for ice, soap powder (didn't act on this one!) and cucumber with salt on?! I was anaemic and since my iron levels have gone up, no more cravings - might be a coincidence!

my2centsis Mon 26-Sep-11 23:49:54

i est probley 2 trays of ice in a sitting and cant resist sniffing nailpolish.... its like a breath of fresh air and automatically calms me blush

milkyways Mon 26-Sep-11 23:51:43

Agree with the others who have stated it's called Pica. With my daughter, I ran out of multivitamins, and thought "who needs them this late in pregnancy anyway?" so didn't buy any. A week or two later I began craving wall plaster and mud! I made tiny holes with a screw driver in inconspicuous parts of walls in my bedroom so I could pick out some wall plaster. I even got stones from my garden and sucked on them like sweets.... My lowest point was when I stayed over at my sister's and went and got a big pinch of mud from the garden at about 12am and crunched it in tiny amounts throughout the night.

When my sister found out what I was doing, she told me to start my vits again and within a fortnight my cravings had gone away. I can't believe how stupid I was eating mud from the garden! Anything could have happened.

notlettingthefearshow Tue 27-Sep-11 00:11:07

That's scary! I didn't realise it was advised to take vitamin pills - normally needed if you have a balanced diet?

Squiglettsmummy2bx Tue 27-Sep-11 06:20:07

My craving isn't that odd but I can't get enough of big chunky brightly coloured icepoles. The only thing is there is only one Market stall near me that sells them & the lady does look at me quite strangely as I am buying 10 or 20 every couple of days blush

deemented Tue 27-Sep-11 06:50:18

When i got to about 34 weeks with DS3, it wasn't a craving i got as such, more of an urge. I had to lick metallic lime green cars. I just had to. I nearly crashed my car on several occasions as i drove past one that looked so juicy and delicious blush Even now, seeing one, my mouth involuntarily waters.

Manshape has never let me forget it...

BedHog Tue 27-Sep-11 08:56:51

I had to stop myself from licking an icy pavement once - it looked so delicious, but I didn't want to take the risk that there may well have been traces of dog cronk underneath!!

I like sniffing freshly printed magazines too.

themightyskim Tue 27-Sep-11 10:19:57

Ive been fancying my bedroom wallpaper all of this week, and Im taking multi vitamins! Ive resisted so far but SD did loose the corner of the painting she did the other day the lemon paper looked beyond tasy blush

Oeisha Tue 27-Sep-11 11:15:35

Pica can be a sign of lacking something in your diet (like iron), so it might be worth a call to the MW to see waht they think, though often it isn't, it's just your body being a bit mental. If you've got the pica under control it's fine, BUT if you're totally distracted by it, or can't bare the thought of eating anything besides the pica craving then, basically, stop it and avoid any contact with whatever it is. I'd recommend stopping it anyway as you're more likely to 'snack' on the pica than on fruit/something healthy. Pica can lead to deficiencies in things like iron as the sufferer uses the pica to unintentionally replace foods/fill tummy. You're also at a much higher risk of poisonings, toxicity, bowl obstruction etc, so please be careful.
I get pica when mid-migraine - uaually for metalic things, though nothing so far during pg (a lot fewer migraines too!),so you have my sympathies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now