Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you start maternity leave?

(41 Posts)
stripeybump Mon 26-Sep-11 21:02:57

I had horrible hyperemesis for first 19 weeks and assumed I'd feel awful throughout pregnancy, but now I'm almost glowing at week 28 and have booked my mat leave to start after 37 weeks, much later than I'd planned originally.

Is this late? How late did everyone work til, what's reasonable? Am I going to regret it when I'm the size of a house with an hour long commute? confused

headfairy Mon 26-Sep-11 21:04:47

ds - 36 weeks. ds actually born at 39 weeks so I got three weeks off.

dd - 38 weeks. She was almost two weeks late so got longer than I'd planned (though it was Christmas so didn't feel like much of a holiday)

m1nn1em0u5e Mon 26-Sep-11 21:07:45

I planned to work up until 37 weeks with ds1, but due to High Blood Pressure I had to finish at 35 weeks, but I have to say I was secretly relieved!..It was December, freezing & rush hour with a huge bump & then full time work was exhausting! Amazingly my BP went back to normal as soon as I finished work!..With ds2 I finished at 34 weeks, nobody can prepare you for the exhaustion you feel in the last few weeks! I am now 23 weeks pregnant with ds3 & am going to finish again at 34 weeks, although I will be using annual leave for the first 4 weeks smile

pinkyp Mon 26-Sep-11 21:07:48

I left at 30 weeks but had 2 weeks hol, still off now grin

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 26-Sep-11 21:09:47

DS was born in May. He was born on the 25th, had been due on the 15th, and I broke up for maternity leave on the 6th. I only broke up that early because my childminder was on holiday and I was taking DD to and from school grin

With DD (born in 05), she was due on 12th October and I had planned to finish work on the 7th October, but I ended up being signed off at the beinning of August! I returned to work on half days, and then took holidays etc, so didn't start maternity leave as such until 1st Oct, but I was off work from end of Aug. She ended up being born on the 6th Oct.

AlwaysRocking Mon 26-Sep-11 21:17:56

I worked until 3 days before my due date, partly for financial reasons but also because I was convinced all first babies are late. She was born 2 days early blush

I found it ok being at work when heavily pregnant, but I do have a desk job and some very nice colleagues who made things easier for me.

unfitmother Mon 26-Sep-11 21:22:00

36 weeks with DS, had planned to go up to 37 with DD but got assaulted and punched in the stomach at 35 weeks so went then.

chocjunkie Mon 26-Sep-11 21:25:08

I stopped working with both DC at 38 weeks. Had very bad hyperemesis until week 23/24 but the last months of my pregnancies were really easy then by comparision.

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 26-Sep-11 21:26:51

I'm planning to go off at 36 weeks, but midwife seemed to think 35 would be better. I have an office based but stressful job.

fandango75 Mon 26-Sep-11 21:54:30

i am going at 29 weeks with DC2. I worked until 37 weeks with DC1 in an office based but stressful job and vowed not to do it again

stripeybump Mon 26-Sep-11 22:20:30

Hmmm interesting. Should've said, I'm a teacher so pretty active / stressful too! I will try to stay until the date I set, but if I go off sick in the last month I think my mat leave is triggered early anyway. I feel so much better now compared to when I was throwing up all the time, but I'm aware more suffering is yet to come.

sad for the poster who was punched in the stomach! Are you a teacher too perchance?

pruney1977 Mon 26-Sep-11 22:22:36

I'm going at 31 weeks with one of my jobs and will stay at my other job till either they tell me to stop or the baby comes out lol. In fairness though, I'm a carer and the latter job is almost like being at home, looking after an old chap for a few hours a week but the other job is a lot more physical, hence finishing at 31 weeks.

Chynah Mon 26-Sep-11 22:25:54

At 39 weeks with #1 - started maternityleave the day he was born. At 29 weeks with #2 only because babies are very close together and starting it early meant I didn'tphysically go back to work in between.

soymama Mon 26-Sep-11 22:32:25

Unfitmother, how could anybody punch somebody who is pregnant?? Hope you were ok. sad

shesparkles Mon 26-Sep-11 22:36:02

I stopped at 29 weeks with DD because I knew I'd never get that time to myself again in my life, and 34 weeks with DS because frankly, I was knackered!

TheThingUpstairs Mon 26-Sep-11 22:38:16

Officially at 38 weeks, but have saved leave and started at 36 weeks. I did have a desk job though, think it must be very different for a more physically demanding job.

LikeACandleButNotQuite Mon 26-Sep-11 23:31:22

Technically, will start at 39 weeks, but adding a weeks worth of bank hols/AL onto the start. This is all if things go to plan. My replacement will spend a month before with me, so my workload hopefully wont be massive, though the thought of training someone in everything I do at 34 weeks preg is filling me with dread -will I even be able to concentrate??

SurprisEs Mon 26-Sep-11 23:42:56

I went on mat leave at 37 weeks and feel liken could've done another week. But I wasn't to guess so I thought it would be a pretty reasonable time to book it for. I didn't want to miss out on the time with the baby and I knew I couldnt afford the last 3 months of unpaid leave.

BuckminsterFullerene Mon 26-Sep-11 23:51:05

Teacher too.

Stopped at 38 weeks, was exhausted (& scarily hormonal), should've stopped at 36.

Trying to reach around myself to sweep broken glass off the floor during practicals was ridiculous.

madhattershouse Mon 26-Sep-11 23:54:34

I planned to have a month off before birth, stressful job with awful hours, waddling home at 3am was no fun.

notlettingthefearshow Tue 27-Sep-11 00:05:28

I plan to start at 36 weeks. I'm not sure whether this is slightly lazy, although I am quite tired already - probably because I stay up too late wandering on the internet! I'm a university teacher and it's not that tiring or stressful, but I am due at Xmas and thought I could do with some time to relax and not have to go to work in the depths of winter! And write Xmas cards. Also I will go back in September regardless because it's good to be there at the start of the academic year, so it doesn't make much difference financially.

notlettingthefearshow Tue 27-Sep-11 00:06:23

I am very admiring of anyone working to 38 weeks or beyond - I'm 27 weeks and already switching off from work!

busyprocrastinating Tue 27-Sep-11 00:20:46

I'm a teacher too and finished at 38 weeks. Though I must admit that I found the last week a struggle. But we were busy trying to renovate our house at the time so was leaving work and then spending evenings decorating.

stripeybump Tue 27-Sep-11 08:03:49

Notletting - if you're going back in Sept, go back the day before summer hols so you get full pay from then wink

sleepevader Tue 27-Sep-11 08:28:59

Stripey I was going to suggest that too ( lots of teacher friends)

I finished work at 34wks with dc1. Bullied by Boss into going early- had planned 38wks. Given the relative ease of job and 15mins commute I should have resisted and gone on sick leave instead got 2 weeks. .... But her constant sniping wore me down.

This time round I've not been working since 17wks. It's dragged but mine I have finally had some magical one to one time with dc1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now