Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

anyone with an anterior placenta (at the front)?

(16 Posts)
phlossie Mon 26-Sep-11 10:06:10

this is my 3rd baby, so I feel like I should know things, but I have an anterior placenta for the first time and have heard this affects how you feel baby's movements. Is this right? I'm 20 wks pg, so not at the big kick stage. I just want to know what to expect, really!

ShowOfHands Mon 26-Sep-11 10:09:57

I had an anterior placenta with dd. It does mean that the movements are cushioned slightly at first as they hide behind the placenta. But as they get bigger they kick (as you know) above, below and to the sides and you'll get plenty of regular and probably uncomfortable movement. It wasn't until I had ds and a posterior placenta that I realised how different movements feel without a placenta in the way.

The only other impact an anterior placenta has is that your baby is marginally more likely to be back to back because they like to face the placenta.

banana87 Mon 26-Sep-11 10:17:45

I have had an anterior placenta both times. Kicks felt at about 24 weeks first time around and 21 weeks second time round. Now I am 31 weeks and am getting kicked and punched regularly smile

phlossie Mon 26-Sep-11 10:33:57

Thanks both. I hope not, showofhands - I had lovely labours with DCs1 and 2 and was hoping for the same this time!

I felt movements at 17 weeks with my other two, so I'm definitely feeling this one less - or at least differently. I'm looking forward to getting kicked and punched regularly!

Zuzi Mon 26-Sep-11 10:39:44

Hi, this is also my 3rd baby and apparently the placenta is anterior. To be honest I never noticed any difference until my midwife pointed out at the 28wk appointment that the scan notes referred to my placenta as anterior. Now I know about it, I am also a bit worried about back to back as both my previous labours were lovely and relatively short.
Banana, were your babies back to back? If you don't mind me asking.

ShowOfHands Mon 26-Sep-11 11:14:55

You're only marginally more likely to have a back to back baby. You're still far more likely to have a baby in the anterior position and even if your baby is back to back, it won't necessarily stay that way. They often turn during labour and a lot of women have straightforward deliveries with op babies. It's not an 'abnormal' position really. Honestly, nowt to worry about.

I had a back to back baby with my anterior placenta and only found out afterwards that the placental position sometimes influences this.

Oeisha Mon 26-Sep-11 11:15:17

Anterior placenta here but have been feeling things since 12wks (DC1 too). To any doubters, sonographer confirmed where I though LO was bashing me on 12 and 20wk scans.
When you do finally feel stuff, expect prolongued periods of quiet where they're floating around the placenta area. My LO seems to like being in her head, low down, which is why I'm getting a lot of movements at 23wks, but have now started getting them fairly high up too...nothing in the middle (where placenta is) unless someone pokes her with a doppler. Sometimes DH can feel the ones on the placenta, but I feel nowt.
If you want to move LO about, try swimming (it's also supposed to encourage baby to present 'normally' so head engaged and not back to back)...mine seems to LOVE it.

ShowOfHands Mon 26-Sep-11 11:33:18

I could feel things from 16 weeks with dd and she was dc1 and my placenta was anterior. With ds and a posterior placenta, he was v active from 13/14 weeks and moving visibly from the outside at my 16wk appointment with the midwife.

The placenta might be anterior but it can also be high, low, slightly to the side etc but still technically at the front. So you will feel movement at different times depending on where the baby is. But as Oeisha says, with the placenta at the front, you can expect times where they hide.

dribbleface Mon 26-Sep-11 12:11:45

Has an anterior placenta with DS1, felt movements from 14 weeks. This time have posterior placenta and felt movements around the same time, this time they are more noticable at this stage (39 weeks) but thought the movements i had with DS were strong too. Had normal delivery with DS (well ventouse but thats cause i couldn't push him out not due to placenta!)

AlpinePony Mon 26-Sep-11 12:45:24

I have an anterior placenta (second child) and first felt movement at 13 weeks. 17 weeks with first child and posterior placenta.

bigmacandhappymeal Mon 26-Sep-11 15:49:19

I've an anterior placenta. I felt movements for the first time at 17 weeks (i'm now 30+6). Like oeisha my bean likes to burrow down into my pelvis and then come back up which for me means I get a weird range of punches, kicks, squirms all over the place! I have one spot where I can feel less inside but that's it. I am naively hoping that having an anterior placenta might mean I get less painful kicks to the ribs but have resigned myself to getting a regular punch/kicks in the fanjo and bottom smile

BeautifulBirths Mon 26-Sep-11 16:43:14

It may mean that you don't feel the movements as often as they are happening as the baby kicks around the placenta rather than you. It is all normal,and healthy and not dangerous at all. You should still keep an eyebon your baby's movements to notice any changes for yourself. Speak to your midwife if you are concerned.

Oeisha Mon 26-Sep-11 18:23:37

Yup, agree with beautiful. Had nothing for over 18h 2 weds ago and called Triage for some 'reassurance' (was just expecting to be told to keep calm and see how she was tomorrow), but they called me in, stuck me on a doppler (which she kicked almost immediatly) and took vitals and a urine dip. As they said, they weren't that worried about LO at this stage - especially as I had an anterior placenta, but a lack of movement can indicate an infection in Mum, and those are best dealt with asap. LOs fine, and am I...

phlossie Mon 26-Sep-11 20:40:28

Lovely - that really ties in with what I've been feeling. I felt the first kick at 15 weeks, but then just felt squirmy feelings very low down - often on my bladder for ages. I have felt loads today, but had barely felt anything for the two days previously. So as lots of you are saying, I expect baby's hiding.

It also explains why the midwife could get baby's heartbeat separately from the whooshing sound of my placenta at my 16wk appointment.

Will definitely be making sure I count the kicks! I was pretty vigilant with my other two - but they both had posterior placentas which made them easier to feel all the time.

lollystix Mon 26-Sep-11 21:43:42

I'm on my 4th but my first anterior. Felt him early on but much less strong and frequently. 36 weeks and there is NO doubt he's in there now- to the point it hurts. I've spent my pregs worrying about breech and back to back as had bad back to back labour with ds1 ending in section. This one was breech at 28 weeks but by 33 he was head down and has stayed that way. He's also not b2b but I have Bern conscious how I've been sitting. Typing over my ball just now.

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 26-Sep-11 21:54:42

Mine is anterior. Only 15+4 so not really any movement (few probably wind flutters) but am bricking it re possibility of back to back labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now