Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

10 weeks, no appt yet!

(20 Posts)
nightowlmostly Sun 25-Sep-11 16:48:44

I am 10+3 today, and haven't had an appointment with a midwife yet. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago when I found out and she gave me an appointment with the midwife at the GP surgery for last Thursday. Then I got a call from the surgery telling me that they don't do that there, they refer you to the hospital for your booking in appt. The GP I saw was new to the practice and had the wrong info.

That was two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything, I called the GP and they told me to wait for a letter from the hospital. I'm getting impatient because I really want my first scan so I can tell people at work, make my life easier! I have to be treated slightly differently at work, avoiding a smoky area, and people are getting suspicious!

So I guess my questions are, should I call the hospital and ask them when it will be, and how long will I have to wait between having my booking in appt and my scan? Thanks!

themightyskim Sun 25-Sep-11 16:51:21

how frustrating for you - your scan should be before 13+6 if I remember rightly (might be a day or two out) it might be that they book you on the same day - id ring up if I was you and ask - I know everywhere is different, I had my booking in at 8 weeks and my scan is 13+5 but lots of places do both at the hospital

nightowlmostly Sun 25-Sep-11 17:46:46

Thanks, will call the hospital tomorrow. I'm just being impatient for the scan! Then after that I'll be able to relax a bit, I'm still thinking "if everything works out" about all plans, it sucks.

owllover Sun 25-Sep-11 17:58:02

I'm in kind of the same boat. Went to the docs on the 7th sept and since then have heard nothing from the hospital. I'm now 11 wks and not got a clue what's going on. Hope you get sorted soon as i can really sympathise with the 'if everything works out' thinking.
Could you maybe let me know if you have some joy phoning the hospital, i'm scared to do it incase they send me away with a flea in my ear and tell me my letter's in the post.

X

nightowlmostly Sun 25-Sep-11 18:18:04

I will let you know, fellow owl!

owllover Sun 25-Sep-11 18:53:23

Thanks grin

themightyskim Sun 25-Sep-11 19:02:10

Owllover I would honestly ring, you should have your scan in the next couple of weeks so it might be the letter has gone missing- why dont you start with your midwife? perhaps she can chase it up smile

owllover Sun 25-Sep-11 20:38:38

Thanks mighty but i don't have a midwife. Went to docs to basically say i was pregnant, she said she would inform hosp (Southern Gen, Glasgow) and i would get a letter sent out for my booking appt and scan. But that was on the 7th and so if we don't get the letter tomorrow i will phone southern on Tuesday. Though i have NO idea who to call at the hosp. Does it sound like it's been lost in the post??

Also, i'm ashamed to be asking this but is your pregnancy dated from the first day of your last period. Bfp so don't know these things blush

MrsHuxtable Sun 25-Sep-11 21:11:22

owllover,
def ring the hospital. There should be a number online to arrange booking appointments. I'm also in Central Scotland and the way it works here is that YOU have to phone the hospital to make that first appointment. Only afterwards does it have anything to do with your GP surgery. Maybe they also got that bit wrong. Once you phone the hospital, you should have a letter within the week so it's really strange you haven't had one yet. Make sure they know how pregnant you already are so they can arrange your scan in time.

And yes, a pregnancy is dated from the first day of your last period. They will ask you for that date on the phone.
Hope you get that appointment sorted. It's all very confusing at the start. My midwife from the booking in appointment, for example, failed to mention that any subsequent appointments have to be made by me at my GPs. I was waiting for ages thinking I'd just get a letter like I did for 1st appointment and scans. I would have been waiting forever, had the sonographer not mentioned it....

MrsHuxtable Sun 25-Sep-11 21:12:57

Also, if you can't find the right number online, just ring Maternity and they will put you through.

owllover Sun 25-Sep-11 21:26:08

Thanks Huxtable
I'm a bit doubtful of myself now tbh because i was nervous/excited at the doctors appointment and so not sure if i even heard her properly. Should just ask someone i know who's recently just had her 12wk scan at the Southern what the protocol was but that would mean having to reveal my Pregnancy!

Will just phone Tuesday if i don't get a letter tomorrow smile I really must pay attention in future! God i just really want my scan grin

MrsHuxtable Sun 25-Sep-11 21:53:54

I'd just phone the Maternity Ward and ask. The number I had for the booking appointment was constantly busy so I ended up phoning Maternity who put me through to the right number.

You could also post on Mumsnet looking for other mums in Glasgow. There surely must be many women on here...

nightowlmostly Fri 30-Sep-11 01:39:17

Sorry I never came back to update, life's been hectic! So I called my GP surgery to find out what was going on and the midwife called me back the next day. She rang the hospital and found out that they do have my information and I will be getting a letter with my appt soon. That was Tuesday and still nothing, but at least I know they are on the case.

Hope you have news soon too owllover!

nightowlmostly Fri 30-Sep-11 20:35:13

Ok so I got the letter confirming my appointment today, but it's not until a week on wednesday, by which time I 'll be 12+5. Can anyone tell me whether they will do the scan at the same appointment or will they give me another appt then? I don't want to wait so long, I'm getting impatient now.

My husband and I are considering paying the £100 or so and getting a scan done privately sooner, does anyone know if this is worth doing, ie do they test for anything or is it just a dating scan? I'd like to but if they don't do the nuchal test thing then it might not be worth it as I might not be happy to announce the pregnancy until after I have that so I'd still have to wait!

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

MrsHuxtable Fri 30-Sep-11 20:55:08

Hey nightowl,
just to say about private scans, they will check what you pay for. You can either book a early sacn or a nuchal scan but considering how far along you are, I think it would be a nuchal scan anyway. Just make sure you book the right scan if you decide to go for it.

nightowlmostly Fri 30-Sep-11 21:56:07

Thanks, will look at my options before committing myself!

griphook Fri 30-Sep-11 22:07:08

they don't normally do the scan at the booking in app, I would ring and make sure they now you want nurchal scan as my friend didn't and she didn't have a scan until 14 weeks

owllover Fri 30-Sep-11 22:46:42

Thanks owl.
I will be 12 weeks on Monday and no letter yet!
Phoned the hospital on Tuesday and they said they send the letters to the midwife to 'vet' them and then send them on to me. I have absolutely no idea what this means.
It's actually such a shambles it's amusing.

owllover Fri 30-Sep-11 22:48:26

Glad you got yours though smile

nightowlmostly Sat 01-Oct-11 23:05:15

It does seem to be a shambles! I called a private clinic today about the nuchal scan and it seems to be a bit of a pain, they want to send me a blood pack that I have to take to the gp to get them to take blood on the same day, it sounds like it's not as easy as I would like it to be! For £170 I want them to do it all really!

I got a pack through the door today, my leaflets and a letter telling me to arrange my own scan and gave me a number so I think I'll just call them on monday and see what they say. Probably will skip the private clinic tbh.

Hope you get sorted soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now