Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 weeks and morning sickness got worse

(13 Posts)
Empjusa Sun 25-Sep-11 16:11:52

My morning sickness has been pretty bad since week 6, but it was starting to ease off. It's suddenly got much much worse, even taking the anti-sickness pills isn;t helping much.

Please tell me I'm
a) not alone
and
b) that it'll end soon

Sandra2011 Sun 25-Sep-11 16:18:47

I had bad 24/7 sickness in both of my pregnancies for the first 12 weeks.

My friend had it for 19 weeks. Some people have it for 40 weeks.

Guess I was lucky.

Tempingmaniac Sun 25-Sep-11 16:28:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oeisha Sun 25-Sep-11 17:23:05

Not unusual at all empjusa. I got a lot worse about 10wks. MS started to go slowly as of wk16, but I still get it occasionally at 23wks - usually smells are the trigger. BUT I don't feel I've had it that bad. If you're not able to keep anything down then you might have hyperemesis http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1238825-Hyperemesis-Support/AllOnOnePage link to suppport thread]]. They might be able to give you some tips on what will help.

A few tips if you're feeling miserable about it:
Try eating little and often and as healthily as you can, ginger infusions (or I used to be sick at mostly fairly specific times of day, so used ginger capsuals - that you could turn into a drink if needed). Travel sickness bands might help. Rest plenty, I was always/am worse when tired.

spannermary Sun 25-Sep-11 17:42:14

I'd been getting MS for about a month but last week (at 11 weeks) picked up a bug. Think I'm clear of bug now, but can't keep food down. Before MS was just nausea, dry heaving and tiredness. Now it's chucking up after each meal and total and utter exhaustion. And I'm feeling very weepy. Mum reckons exhaustion and emotions is because I'm malnourished.

This thread is good to read...I'm 12 weeks on Tuesday and feel terrible. sad Really don't know what to do about work. I've been off most of last week with bug and feel very very guilty.

Oeisha Sun 25-Sep-11 18:11:14

Take the exhaustion seriously snappermary and slow down...a lot. The exhaustion will be making you puke a lot more than if you weren't. If needs be take some time off work (whatever it is). Around youre stage I was needing a good 8-9h sleep at night and a futher top-up for about 90mins during the day...even if I couldn't actually sleep, I needed to be STILL, feet up, with a book...
Luckily I work part time already, so could catch up on rest on my days off.
If you're actually struggling to sleep, make sure you're getting some exercise, even if it's just a walk around the block (try, if you can, after eating, it's good for digestion). I settled on quick walks and swimming as it was actually relatively controlled impact on my stretching ligaments.

Oeisha Sun 25-Sep-11 18:27:19

*eh gads, you think I could get your name right... Spannermary

Tempingmaniac Sun 25-Sep-11 18:31:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spannermary Sun 25-Sep-11 18:31:52

Thanks, Oeisha. At the moment I am sleeping 10-12 hours at night and then, this weekend I've been having 2 sleeps of about 2 hours each. That's a lot of sleep... I still feel too exhausted to walk though...Even though I know it'll do me good!

Just burst into floods of tears on DH, saying I felt like a failure and other women seem to cope so much better.

He's making me clear chicken soup now.

I've also been panicking myself about hyperemesia (?) as I've lost half a stone. Don't think I have it - like you say, prob exhaustion. Will chat to GP about it tomorrow.

Thanks so much for support...I'm not usually such a nightmare!

spannermary Sun 25-Sep-11 18:40:19

Ah, thanks, Tempingmaniac.

I'm a special needs teacher, by the way...I love it but it's hard work!!

ZhenXiang Sun 25-Sep-11 18:41:45

If you are taking pregnancy vitamins this could be a factor, if I take pregnancy vitamins except on a full stomach with dinner (and sometimes even if I do take them with meal) I get horrendous sickness the next morning.

I have no other sickness now at 17+6, it stopped at 16 weeks, but something about the vitamins irritates my stomach lining.

I do remember all day sickness getting worse steadily from 8-14 weeks then improving until it stopped altogther (bar the times I take vitamins too late in the eve).

It could be because the placenta starts to fully take control of progesterone production around 10-12 weeks so once your body gets used to the change over it might well even itself out and the morning sickness will hopefully calm down.

Have you had your dating scan yet? You could also possibly be slightly earlier date wise than you think.

spannermary Sun 25-Sep-11 18:58:10

Ps Sorry for the hijack, Empjusa!

stripeybump Sun 25-Sep-11 19:01:38

sad poor you.

I had it until 19 weeks ish, and thought it would never end. The good news is it did for me, and statistically most likely will for you. I felt absolutely great from then for about 2 months - starting to feel a bit knackered and uncomfy now I'm getting bigger and nearer the end, but honestly the first bit is by far the worst.

If you can, get yourself signed off work for a week - bed rest works wonders, and you'll never feel this crap again without taking time off so don't suffer. I know what you mean about feeling like a wuss - I seemed to suddenly be surrounded by women who'd only experienced the odd puke in the morning, so to feel green and exhausted all day every day wasn't something I was psyched up for!

Look after yourself x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now