Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Questions about hospital bag....

(6 Posts)
Newmom2b Sat 24-Sep-11 15:59:40

I'm 37 weeks tomorrow and have got most of the bits I need for mine and baby's hospital bag. The only questions I have are about quantities..... I've read somewhere that I should be packing at least 24 maternity pads!! Really! They only sell them in packs of 10 at boots lol... Also how many nappys should i be taking? Sorry for the stupid questions!! X

hubbahubster Sat 24-Sep-11 16:08:13

24? Jesus, I don't think I even used 20 in total! I switched to regular sani pads after a week since the bleeding slowed down - and I was using two mat pads at a time in hospital too (end to end to prevent leaks as I was laying down the whole time). And I was in for two nights. One pack will be fine I reckon, you can always ask someone to bring you more if needed. You may as well take a pack of nappies, think DS only used four a day though. A few weeks in and they start to wet six a day, but newborns don't actually eat much to start with - small tummies plus they're full of goodness from the placenta still - so they don't poo and wee as much as you may think in those very early days. Good luck!

MarKettle Sat 24-Sep-11 16:13:23

It depends on how long you'll be staying in hospital, really.

I found it best to pack 2 bags. One to take in for the birth and first night (so one of the small packs of nappies and one pack of maternity pads) and left one bag packed at home with going home clothes, more nappies, more pads etc that DH could bring in with him (along with the car seat) the next day. I suppose you could leave the second bag in the car though, if your partner isn't going to be going home (I was in for 2 nights as I knew I was having a caesarean)

sleepevader Sat 24-Sep-11 16:17:24

I'm Doing exactly as markettle does.
Reckon 20 pads should just do me til I get home. Don't underestimate how much some people bleed!

MummyAbroad Sat 24-Sep-11 17:14:52

I think everyone has a different experience - I was a real bleeder - went through maternity pads two at a time, changing every hour and was constantly sending DH out for more. 24 pads sounds like a minimum requirement to me.

CBear6 Sat 24-Sep-11 21:04:51

I would definitely say 24 pads to be safe or 20 at least - two of the 10 packs. Some people barely bleed, others bleed loads. I was in two nights with both DCs and used at least 20 pads.

Same goes for nappies, at least a 24 pack. I had DD last week and took a 24 pack of Pampers in with me, I had to get DH to bring in another couple o nappies on going home day because I'd run out. We got through 11 nappies on the first day/night alone and at one point she had three nappy changes in the space of an hour. Some babies poop more than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now