Talk

Advanced search

Present Ideas....

(19 Posts)
themightyskim Fri 23-Sep-11 16:59:57

my friend is pregnant with twins and due fairly soon, I have made them a blanket each and am just making some booties but I really want to get them a few useful things, the family are struggling at the moment so id like to get some of the little bits that you need a lot of - so far ive managed scratch mitts (I know, im useless but I just liked the fact they were tiny) and some wipes, can anyone give me a bit of a list of some of the vitals I can help with?? would like to make a bit of a hamper for them smile

icravecheese Fri 23-Sep-11 17:08:14

When I left for maternity leave when pregnant with my first baby, the girls at work bought me a FAB pressie that I'm sure you could do pretty cheapish if you head to your local supermarket...

Buy a plastic baby bath (ikea do them for hardly any money at all) & fill it with some / all of the following:
Cotton wool balls, tub of vaseline, tub of sudocreme, johnsons baby bath & shampoo, baby nail clippers (crucial - baby nails are SHARP!), plain white newborn hats, baby wipes, plain white babygro's (always handy in emergencies & so cheap nowadays in supermarkets), newborn nappies, scented nappy sacks, pack of dummies, nice mini toiletries for mum whilst in hospital, newborn socks, bibs... etc etc the list could go on!!

Just cruise down the baby aisle in your nearest supermarket & I'm sure you will find masses of cheap bits & bobs to fill a baby bath. Then finish it off with a giant ribbon tied round it!

I was in sainsbury today & they have a third off all baby stuff at the mo....happy shopping!

themightyskim Fri 23-Sep-11 17:11:34

I love the idea of a bath so much better than a basket only problem is I know that she has been bought four so far lmao, i'll keep that list though - fab for her and for me when I get a bit nearer smile Im lethal in baby aisles at the moment I want to buy and its too early for me so buying for her is a nice test run! Thanks for your suggestions

cravingcake Fri 23-Sep-11 17:12:29

I asked about present ideas and was given some great ideas, and there was a reasonably recent thread but I dont know how to link it blush. From memory ideas include the following (not sure of your budget so just chucking everything in I can remember):

Spa day/massage/facial/pampering voucher for mum
Cashmere socks or scarf (again more for mum)
Calpol or similar as they prob wont have it & its the one thing they will need in the middle of the night once babes are a couple of months old
Hire a cleaner for them for a few weeks
Nappies
Offer to babysit
Offer to do washing/ironing
If they are formula feeding then some formula (but make sure its the brand they are going to use)

I did a hamper for my friend recently and put nappies, cotton wool, sudocream, calpol suitable from 2 months along with little outfit and accessories.

cravingcake Fri 23-Sep-11 17:15:13

oops, didnt realise you were also pg - maybe babysitting is out then smile

themightyskim Fri 23-Sep-11 17:17:16

Lovely ideas but as Im pregnant I dont want her feeling like she has to return the gift and she is the sort of person that will, so I figure if I keep it cheap and useful - I like the idea of babysitting and stuff Ive actually already volunteered to do some of the above just because as a first time mum I think the practice will do me good smile Ill add calpol to my list though, my SD still always needs that at the times when the other half has used it all and not replaced it!! thanks

cravingcake Fri 23-Sep-11 17:20:45

I was the same for the hamper I did - have three friends all pg, one had hers about 4 weeks ago, one had hers today (exciting), and the other is due 2 days after me. I've done them all practical hampers with inexpensive but useful stuff personal to them (friend who had her baby today already has a 2yo so I've added a colouring book and toy for her).

Nanny01 Fri 23-Sep-11 18:09:34

I cooked an extra meal for a friend as a present and have received this as a present. This is what if asked I will be suggesting along side a hamper like others that have mentioned. I would freeze it in a foil carton obviously I checked what people liked. There are company on line that do great ready made meals and even the supermarkets have great family sized healthy options for new parents.

Scaredycat3000 Fri 23-Sep-11 18:55:56

Sorry to sound awkward, but I used to do the baby toiletries until I had my own. DS is 2 1/2, most of it is still sat in cabinet. I just didn't need lotions and potions, some babies will, some babies will only be able to use particular brands. So when I did it again I stuck with LOTS of packets of baby wipes, 1 pack of nappy sacks, baby bath, baby sponges.
You could try a touch lamp, easy to turn on in the middle of the night and a softer light.
A food hamper might be a theme, a good insulated mug?
My last baby present was very boring, but hopefully all useful. In fact the Mum said it was 'very practical', is that a good comment?

themightyskim Fri 23-Sep-11 18:58:24

I think its a good comment, especially being as thats what Im aiming for - I like the idea of a touch light, and Nanny01 I'd never have thought of something like that

Some good ideas there thanks eveyone Im looking forward to starting shopping!

phlossie Fri 23-Sep-11 18:58:37

One of the best things I got was food. Meals for the freezer - homecooked.

themightyskim Fri 23-Sep-11 19:02:01

phlossie you would not want the junk I produce blush I try I really do but I will never be a nice cook - the OH and SD tolerate it but I couldnt inflict it on someone else!! mindue joking aside I make very nice cake

Beesok Fri 23-Sep-11 19:46:13

I second the toiletries - esp J&J sorry guys but that stuff is full of harsh ingredients - their marketing budget is huge yes and they are all over the place but I honestly wouldn't put on my own skin let alone a baby.

If you want get toiletries try some of the "clean" brands and get one which is unscented and has as little ingredients as possible and check if suitable from newborn - Neal's Yard do a few good products so do Green Babies (by Green People) and they are not that expensive - but one quality product rather than 3 not so great ones.

I think the hamper is a great idea - instead of a baby bath why don't you get a nice woven basket - she can use those for storage (I bought a set from Argos which I plan on putting muslins etc in - looks nice on a changing table shelfsmile
Maybe add a pack of muslins or flannels (tesco have good ones), add a box of baby washing powder or napisan in addition to all suggestions above as these things get used up quickly and are needed on an ongoing basis
also I just bought a little thermos for myself - heard that tip from someone else who's tea would always get cold by the time she was done with feeding and managed to get a sip ;)
If you make nice cake am sure that would go down well too!

Sleepwhenidie Fri 23-Sep-11 19:51:05

Agree with scaredycat on too many toiletries that may not be used but here are my thoughts:

- a nightlight is a great idea, the ikea one is nice, especially for bf in night, lovely and dim!

- grobags would be good, can get quite cheap at tkmaxx

- for your friend I would go for a big box of nice chocs, a tube of lansinoh cream (assuming she will be bf this is pretty much essential and not cheap), some lovely hand cream, new parents wash their hands constantly, some deep conditioner for friend's hair, I found it a godsend when my hair did the horrible falling out thing, stopped me pulling out loads more when combing while wet

- if she is expecting twins they are likely to be small, so a pack of tiny baby sleep suits probably a good idea, everyone else will prob get newborn or 0-3m size which won't fit for a while and you get through lots!

Nothing beats the personal gifts like home cooking, ironing, babysitting or turning up with a takeaway and a bottle of wine (and leaving them to eat it if you sense that they are just shattered and not in need of company wink). If she ends up having CS and you are close enough then it is a lovely thing to offer to paint her toenails, something she won't be able to do for herself for a while and any polish she had on would have been removed for op.

If you are splashing out, then spa gifts of course are wonderful but ime it is ages before you can take the time properly to use them.

A basket of cakes/muffins/biscuits is great when mum and baby come home, brilliant for feeding the endless stream of visitors that rock up and also for mum and dad to graze on when they have no time to cook!

-another possibly extravagant gift, but soo nice is lovely comfy pj's that allow for easy bf if necessary (Like time spent hand washing, never underestimate how much you will wear them in early days) or a ultrasoft large wrap cardigan, very comforting at night when up or co sleeping with an otherwise chilly shoulder and arm above your head and blankets/duvets away from baby! My DC's loved cuddling up on my lap inside mine, day or night, until they were much older too-prob still would, given the chance!

phlossie Fri 23-Sep-11 19:51:44

I don't know how much you want to spend, or what you get, but we did this for a friend and she loved it! Good if you can't cook!

Sleepwhenidie Fri 23-Sep-11 19:54:06

Oh, re bath/hamper, I have used proper hampers (as in the Christmas kind with a flip up lid and handles) for storing nappies etc in the corner of most useful room, very handysmile

Sleepwhenidie Fri 23-Sep-11 19:59:29

One more thing I just remembered...a nasal aspirator! You can guarantee no one else will give one as a gift grin and friend will probably be wtf?! when she gets it, but it will be so appreciated when babies get their first cold and cant sleep for blocked nose in the middle of the night wink!

themightyskim Sat 24-Sep-11 11:18:34

lmao Im not convinced I could stomach one of those as a gift, I HATE snot smile thats the OH's job with SD

themightyskim Sat 24-Sep-11 11:21:02

There are some lovely ideas on here - OH is sweating a bit he can tell Im brewing a big spend grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now