Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

HELP: I think im in labour i have awful pains... but dh not here it reallly hurts please help me stay calm

(30 Posts)
Cocoflower Fri 23-Sep-11 14:31:57

really intense back aches for hour now

could be false but hurts soooo much

dh just left london will be 2 hours

pls help me stay calm and postive

sorry awful spelling xx

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Sep-11 14:37:49

how often is the pain coming? and how long is it lasting?

is this your first?

themightyskim Fri 23-Sep-11 14:38:10

you poor thing you must be climbing the walls, two hours will pass quickly, what about ringing your midwife for a bit of advice on what to do next? or your family? thats usually my first call smile just think, if it is labour that means your baby is coming smile smile

marylou242 Fri 23-Sep-11 14:38:37

Try and stay calm, you'll be fine! Have a nice warm bath and when you get a contraction breathe in and out as slowly as possible for as long as it lasts, try counting to 20 in your head as you breathe in and again as you breathe out. This will help you avoid panicking and get lots of oxygen to your muscles at the same time.

If you feel up to it, maybe try to do something to take your mind off it a bit.

How far apart are they? If they are quite close, give your midwife a ring and see what she suggests.

Cocoflower Fri 23-Sep-11 14:39:52

2nd

1st indcuced so not sure what natural labour feels like

pain is constant in lower back so i dont know whats going on

im waiting for my mum to come

owww

bumbums Fri 23-Sep-11 14:42:10

is baby back to back? You could take some paracetamol.

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Sep-11 14:42:10

if it's constant rather than waves then it might not be labour. I'd ring the midwife though and see what they sayh

Cocoflower Fri 23-Sep-11 14:42:35

sorry for typing

It is relentles pain with no gaps it isnt fitting in with normal contractions pattern i dont know what going on now

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Sep-11 14:42:55

how many weeks are you?

Cocoflower Fri 23-Sep-11 14:44:01

i think will try and call

sorry i probably seem so foolish its prob nothing

this is helping distract me

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 23-Sep-11 14:44:06

I think ring the labour ward and ask them. Have you had any other signs and how far gone are you?

Cocoflower Fri 23-Sep-11 14:44:30

38 today

FrauLindor Fri 23-Sep-11 14:44:46

How many weeks pregnant are you?

How far to hospital?

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Sep-11 14:45:56

no you don't seem foolish at all! labour can come on in all sorts of different ways and a very painful back would be a concern I think regardless of whether it's actually labour or not... something is going on!

give them a ring and see what they say. you can take some paracetamol for the pain too if you think it will help

bumbums Fri 23-Sep-11 14:46:32

Could you have pulled a muscle? Is Baby back to back? Have you any changes down bellow? Any mucus plug leakage?

cravingcake Fri 23-Sep-11 14:46:52

While you are waiting for your mum can you boil the kettle and fill a hot water bottle to hold against your back (if you will struggle to get in or out of bath if you on your own).

Pootles2010 Fri 23-Sep-11 14:47:08

Ring the labour ward. You will not be the first person unsure if they're in labour to call them. Even if it's just to reassure yourself.

How far away is your mum?

Cocoflower Fri 23-Sep-11 14:52:48

no mucus plug
the hot water thing is good
mum is hour away

think might go for walk around house see if subsides

FrauLindor Fri 23-Sep-11 14:55:58

Make sure the door is unlocked so that your mum can get in.

And phone the labour ward.

naturalbaby Fri 23-Sep-11 15:01:57

hot water bottle as mentioned above
lean forward onto something chest height and move your hips in circles
long slow breathing - imagine the breath going right down into your tummy then slowly filling up a big balloon or blowing bubbles or something.

don't panic! just keep breathing slowly through it, focusing on slow breathes could/should/might help distract you from the other feelings

Pootles2010 Fri 23-Sep-11 15:29:01

How are you doing Coco?

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Sep-11 16:17:58

how are you doing coco?

FrauLindor Fri 23-Sep-11 18:01:48

I hope she is off to the hospital.

mumt1 Fri 23-Sep-11 18:51:54

Oh god hope she's ok

Cocoflower Fri 23-Sep-11 19:29:06

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in response.

After a walk the pain disappeared to a much duller one which is now bearable.

Must have been a false alarm, but gosh it was painful.

Feel so embrassed- rushing DH home, getting friend to take dc etc and posting on here blush

Sorry to worry anyone and for appalling typing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now