Talk

Advanced search

TTC but need the advice of those who have fallen pregnant so hope it's ok to post in here!

(28 Posts)
iloveberries Fri 23-Sep-11 08:10:44

I have 2 options and need help deciding! Option one: lots of SWI, Option two: charting, clearblue monitor and all of that!!

Keen to fall asap (isn't everyone!)

I charted for a few months before TTC. Cycles aren't too irregular and I am pretty sure i ovulate between day 17 and day 21 due to temp shift and timing of AF's arrival.

Month 1: Lots of SWI (at what I believe to be the right time). AF arrived on time.

Month 2: Do I take option 1 of lots of sex and put the thermometer and temp charts away. OR do I purchase a CBFM and continue with the charting?

In my heart I would prefer option 1 as I think less stressful, but of course like all of us i want to do whatever will help me conceive quickest!

Would really appreciate your thoughts, what has worked for you? what would you do?

Thanks so much

BedHog Fri 23-Sep-11 08:31:48

Option 1, but do it about every other day through the whole month (except the messy bit) not just when you think you might be fertile.

Good luck! smile

pruney1977 Fri 23-Sep-11 08:39:50

Charting only shows you've ovulated after the event. I think a combination of option one and get to know your cervical mucus, when it becomes like egg white you know you're about to ovulate.
Good luck x

Snusmumriken Fri 23-Sep-11 08:48:17

DH and I went with option 1, although we did it every to every other day throughout the month. It worked like a charm- but I realise we have been very, very lucky.

Good luck and have fun!

TheRealMBJ Fri 23-Sep-11 08:53:21

Option 1. All the way through the month and Make it fun rather than a chore. That way, even if you don't fall this (or next) month, at least you've had tons of good sex!

ALotToTakeIn Fri 23-Sep-11 09:07:40

option 1 for at least a few months. The more relaxed you are about it the better your chances. So roll out the sexy underwear and have some fun.

CBear6 Fri 23-Sep-11 09:33:19

Option 1 and definitely relax and have fun.

It's easy to get bogged down in charts and temperatures and gadget things that tell you "do it! Do it now!" and it turns sex into a bit of a chore. Unless you have need to chart, etc then make it the fallback option.

Relaxing and have sex, regular and often, just for the sake of having sex really does work. TTC can be so stressful, go easy on yourself if it doesn't happen right away. Each month/cycle only carries a 20-25% of conception and it takes a healthy couple an average of 12-18 months to get pregnant.

DH and I tried for ages to get pregnant the first time and it just wasn't happening, no reason at all why and we even had all the tests which came back normal. We went on holiday to draw a line under all the stress and upset, decided we weren't going to try for a baby anymore but there was no point in using contraception because we obviously didn't need it. Three weeks later I had two lines on a stick and DS the following summer, we have a DD now too. There really is something to be said for relaxing and not trying.

Best of luck and hopefully you'll be announcing a pregnancy soon smile

harassedandherbug Fri 23-Sep-11 09:58:12

Yup - option 1 every other day.....

Karmanna Fri 23-Sep-11 10:36:37

We tried for 9 months with no luck and then I just bought some OPK sticks (20 for £3 on Ebay). We DTD twice when it showed I was close to ovulation and that's when I got pregnant! And I didn't even need to bother with charting!

LoveInAColdClimate Fri 23-Sep-11 15:29:13

I found charting stressful but Clear Blue Fertility Monitor good (I also got pregnant the first month we used it despite months and months and months of charting before that!).

chocolateteabag Sat 24-Sep-11 10:43:51

I'm for Option 2!
I got my BFP the in the first month of using my CBFM. Bought it on ebay then sold it on afterwards
I had pretty irregular cycles and obviously wasn't getting the timing right (despite having lots of fun trying) - we tried option 1 for a year and personally I couldn't do it again. Will be ready to TTC for number 2 in January and will be back on ebay soon to get a CBFM (yes should have just kept the first one I know smile)

hubbahubster Sat 24-Sep-11 20:33:20

Another vote for option 1 every other day.

lucamom Sat 24-Sep-11 21:13:13

I agree with option 1, the least stress you can cause yourself the better.

Here's my experience:

When I first started trying for my first baby 5 years ago, I quickly realised I didn't really know enough about ovulation and the 'right' times to have sex. After a couple of months of trying, I read the 'sperm meets egg plan' (google it), and followed their advice on when to do the deed (didn't bother with the ovulation testing or charting, just followed the timings), and got pregnant straight away.

To quote the plan: "This plan will ensure that sperm gets to your egg. Whether or not a viable pregnancy results (the odds are about 1 in 4 even if you time it right), is up to nature"

Might not work for everyone; I can only go on my experience, but have since conceived in the first month evry time we've decided to get pregnant (36 weeks with baby no.3) by having sex at the right time.

Good luck, keeping everything crossed for you xx

Chynah Sat 24-Sep-11 21:47:16

Ovulation sticks - can't recommend them highly enough -pregnant first time both times using them.

Enfyshedd Sun 25-Sep-11 09:05:21

Option 1 was what I did - DP wasn't complaining about DTD nearly daily around the time we thought was right

However, I think I was on a rollercoaster in Disneyland Paris with DSS1 around the time I must have conceived... Wouldn't like to discuss the merits of being thrown upside down and how it might help!! grin

Gemstar28 Sun 25-Sep-11 10:51:27

Option 2 _ buy CBFM we tried for 4 years unsuccesffully and fell pg the first month we used it and in that month we only had sex twice both on the day the monitor picked up high fertility.

I'm now 31 weeks!

brettgirl2 Sun 25-Sep-11 13:04:30

The additional advantage of working out ovulation is you know when your period is due (unless you are a real clockwork person). I on the other hand can think I am late when it isnt going to arrive for a week.

iloveberries Mon 26-Sep-11 07:49:47

thanks ladies for all your advice..... think option one is getting slightly more votes! ;)

it is so tempting for me to monitor everything i can (bit of a control freak!) but realistically i think i might be better just every other day for a month and see....

i have heard about the sperm meets egg plan - all sounds logical!

thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

CollieandPup Mon 26-Sep-11 10:08:33

After a mc in Dec, I opted for option 2 .....plus more, just because I needed to at least pretend I was able to take control. But it was very stressful indeed and I think if you can, just stick to option 1. But if you aren't successful, will you torment yourself for doing option 1, not 2?

Here is the SMEG PLAN

I'd recommend opks over tempting too if you want something in-between.

I used this website for advice on supplements.

Good luck!!

iloveberries Mon 26-Sep-11 12:39:16

thanks collieandpup! I have too had the same thought about tormenting myself! I did look online at the CBFM and i see you have to start it from day one of your cycle and i am already on day 6 so am too late for it this month anyway!

thanks for sending me the links.

Sorry to hear about your mc. i hope you have been successful since.

CollieandPup Mon 26-Sep-11 15:25:16

Im 32 weeks now smile so the ocd approach option 2 worked for me grin

You don't need to use the CBFM you can just use opks around the time you usually ov, so don't have to start at the begining of your cycle. You can get lots of cheapies on ebay or amazon, i cant remember how much, but i had a HUGE stash for a couple of pound. They don't work for everyone, but they did for me. I don't think the shop ones are worth the money though as they are very expensive.....although to be fair i'd have tried anything <gulible> ..... i should have shares in holland and barratt with all the supplemets i bought!! blush

iloveberries Mon 26-Sep-11 19:42:53

collieandpup! haha! I am so pleased it worked for you though.

I am pretty OCD too. wish i wasn't!

which OPKs would you recommend? I have looked at those too but have a particularly weak bladder (esp since DS!) and don't know if i can hold it for 4 hours! Apparently they aren't great if you use them first thing in the morning?

Last month i used the clearblue digital ones (OPKs) first thing in morning but never got a positive... though i think i may have stopped using them too early in my cycle..... bloody hell it's such a to do.....

CollieandPup Wed 28-Sep-11 09:20:40

I used these loveberries which also come with cheapy pregnancy tests so you can test till your hearts content!! smile

I initially used them in the morning, before I realised you weren't supposed to, but like you found holding my wee in during thevday for 4 hours wasn't always doable. I found the best time to test in the day was as soon as I got in from work, about 6pm, making my last cup of tea and wee at about 3. Having sad that FMU worked for me, although I have to confess at one point I was peeing on 2 a day blush.... I told you I was OCD!!! grin

stripeymummy Wed 28-Sep-11 14:56:05

Hiya, I guess it depends how desperate you are TC? We did option 1 for 7 months with no success (was charting my periods and making a rough est of my fertile period). Then I decided to go for option 2, mainly because I've been advised not to have kids after my mid-30s due to medical problems, and I'm 31 now. Charted my basal temperature and was UTD within 3 months! Now 34wks smile
The chart also appealed to my OCD side, quite enjoyed watching the rhythms of my body. Now I have a massive colour coded spreadsheet charting what we need/have got/might need for Sprog grin blush

CollieandPup Wed 28-Sep-11 17:28:59

Stripey I think I have chart envy!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now