Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lactulose

(12 Posts)
banana87 Thu 22-Sep-11 19:51:21

I'm currently taking iron tablets and suffering with mega constipation blush. I don't want to take something different, and am happy with what I have. I bought some lactulose for the constipation and took 3 5ml spoons before bed. Since this morning (when I did a poo that didn't hurt-yay!) my stomach has been cramping on and off. I don't want to start off labour (yet!), so have any of you taken lactulose during pregnancy and if so, how much?

harassedandherbug Thu 22-Sep-11 20:02:08

Yes I have taken Lactulose, but took less than the recommended dose. You need to drink lots of water with it.........

banana87 Thu 22-Sep-11 20:04:46

Thanks harrassed, how much did you take? 1x 5ml? Drinking like a fish here...

Catsycat Thu 22-Sep-11 20:12:06

I took it when misdiagnosed as having constipation at A&E - I had cholecystitis. A&E doctor "accidentally" wrote the wrong dosage on the prescription and I ended up taking 4 times the normal dose and projectile vomiting - lovely!!! I wasn't pg at the time fortunately. So, if it is giving you cramps, I would echo harrassed and say to take less and drink water. You don't want to be vomming sad

feekerry Thu 22-Sep-11 20:44:26

thats what i was given by boots pharmacy for my constipation, they said it was really gentle and the lable says suitable for pregnancy. i was told to take 3x 5ml spoonfuls a day. its done sod all really. i hear the up the bum things (!) are much better!!!

iWILLdothis Thu 22-Sep-11 20:59:45

Oops I've been taking 15 ml twice daily. No wonder I'm getting cramps that make me wonder if labour is starting!!

banana87 Thu 22-Sep-11 21:14:58

15ml twice a day! You are going to send yourself into labour!!!

MissRee Thu 22-Sep-11 22:20:26

I've been taking 15ml twice a day (as directed by my doc) and it's doing bugger all so now I'm on 15ml lactulose and fybogel mornings AND evenings and guess what... Poops still hurt sad

iWILLdothis Fri 23-Sep-11 07:00:18

Have appointment today, will ask about dosage.
You sound like me, misree sad

MissRee Fri 23-Sep-11 07:54:25

Let me know what they suggest for you next! If it works then I'm straight to my docs demanding some grin

Ria x

banana87 Fri 23-Sep-11 08:47:49

Lactulose IS very gentle, maybe you two need something a bit stronger sad

My sympathies though, Lacctulose did nowt for me after I gave birth and had an anal fissure sad

iWILLdothis Fri 23-Sep-11 12:43:51

Just back from appt. Dr said try 10ml twice daily to start with, then increase dose to 15ml if not effective. She didn't seem concerned about the cramping it causes, so obviously not going to send me into labour! Think I need to up my water intake tho too, might help. Using suppositories also, that always helps me with fissures & piles. Can't wait for this all to be over....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now