Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Awful trapped wind pain

(17 Posts)
updiffed Thu 22-Sep-11 17:57:23

What can I take to relieve this awful pain I keep getting at night?
I know its my stomach and guts causing it. Its sooo painful, I'm guessing its like a colicky type pain...
Would Gaviscon help?

Am 25 weeks pg.

Thanks!

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 22-Sep-11 18:28:37

I have no advice but have the same problem at 15 weeks blush. Am soooo uncomfortable. I can relieve it a bit by lying on my back and pulling my knees up to my chst but I can hardly do that at work and you probably can't get your knees to your chest at 25 weeks...

BedHog Thu 22-Sep-11 18:30:31

Horrible isn't it. I find it helps lying down on my side at regular intervals throughout the day to 'de-gas' myself. You could also try spending a few minutes on all fours with your bum in the air, or having a nice warm bath.

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 22-Sep-11 18:34:15

Ahhh, pregnancy... it's so dignified....

loverocky Thu 22-Sep-11 19:33:30

ahh yes so dignified haha grin
i get this all the time and bad stitch in my ribs, it has stayed reasonably the same though, like hasn't got any worse and i am 33 weeks pregnant this saturday smile

loverocky Thu 22-Sep-11 19:34:06

havent found any remedies for it though but gaviscon may help

Crosshair Thu 22-Sep-11 19:37:18

Are Wind-Eze tablets suitable in pregnancy?

Oeisha Thu 22-Sep-11 21:25:25

Not much help when you're going through it, but salads, pears, allbran (just a handful on your cereal/snuck into your food/in some yog), natural yog an prune juice have all helped me so far. I have IBS and these have helped loads.

Also, try swimming...very helpful exercise, seems to wiggle everything round (LO loves it too)...and try rubbing your belly gently clockwise...makes for a good excuse to rub in some cocoa butter too.

Iggly Thu 22-Sep-11 21:36:09

Peppermint tea really helps. Have a cup and after 30 mins get on all fours and move bum from side to side for a bit.

Also try smaller more frequent meals too.

CBear6 Thu 22-Sep-11 22:09:06

Peppermint cordial in warm water with a paracetamol (co-codamol works best but isn't suitable for pregnancy). MW suggested it to me because I've been bad with post-section trapped wind, it works really well.

serendipity16 Fri 23-Sep-11 08:25:02

I second what Iggly said - Peppermint tea worked well for me when i was pregnant last year.
I had a lot of pain from trapped wind but the pharmacist said there was nothing i could have so i googled & found people saying to use Peppermint tea.
I don't like tea & at first it was a little hard to drink but after a while i started to enjoy it.
It really did help me a lot.

FloydieDoydie Fri 23-Sep-11 11:21:35

I read that wind-eze are suitable to take when pregnant as the active ingredient is not absorbed into your blood stream.

I am also having terrible trapped wind and bloating (7+5) and these are helping me smile

PamBeesly Fri 23-Sep-11 13:14:30

I also find drinking a glass of sparkling water or any fizzy drink helps break up wind and moving about a bit helps

updiffed Fri 23-Sep-11 14:08:22

Thanks all. Bought peppermint tea and some Wind-eze capsules... Will give them ago tonight... For some reason its worse at night... don't know why?!

Imnotaslimjim Fri 23-Sep-11 14:11:24

2 teaspoons of bicarb, a tablespoon of lemon juice mixed with enough water to swallow in one gulp. Probably the vilest thing you will ever have to drink but OH MY GOD the relief is instant! I have a hiatus hernia and get shoudler tip pain my wind gets so bad. This is the only remedy I've found that cures it completely. And its safe in pregnancy

PamBeesly Fri 23-Sep-11 14:21:00

Imnotaslimjim my mother often took a spoon of bicarb in a small amount of water to ease trapped wind, worked a treat, but agree, its vile

Crosshair Fri 23-Sep-11 14:26:56

I think its the build up throughout the day. Waking up at about 3am for a wee is probably the most painful time for me trapped wind wise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now