Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

OK, cards on table here, can you be frank with me regarding an ELCS...

(22 Posts)
misspollysdolly Thu 22-Sep-11 14:57:19

...and hair removal...??! blush

I had an ELCS last time with DS2 as he was breech and did as I was told the night before (or rather poor old DH had the glorious task as I could not see, obviously) and dutifully shaved off about 'an inch of hair' form my pretty much 'au natural' pubic area. Then when the spinal was in and the screen went up, clearly I (we) had not adequately deforested the area. Cue a sharp intake of breath from the surgeon and the clippers/dry razor had to come out. Ultimately it was not my problem by then, but I have been stressing about getting it right first time this time. So...what's the right approach....? I am due to have another ELCS in a fortnight's time...... confused

miamama09 Thu 22-Sep-11 15:16:38

ok, we were told in our ante natal class when expecting DD 2 years ago, that you were not supposed to shave/hair remove for the last month before due date!!! as a cut could lead to infection when they then make their incision for CS......??!!!!

tostaky Fri 23-Sep-11 05:47:05

what about hair removal cream? supposed to last a few days and there will be not cut/irritations

BagofHolly Fri 23-Sep-11 06:58:33

Slap on the immac and just redo it every couple of days. I only took off the top couple of inches, leaving me with an Armish beard-effect but my surgeon was polite enough not to comment!

coccyx Fri 23-Sep-11 07:02:09

My midwife checked pre op that it was defuzzed enough

turkeyboots Fri 23-Sep-11 07:04:16

A nurse did mine in the pre op preperation both times. I wouldn't worry about it.

nooka Fri 23-Sep-11 07:13:55

I've had two emergency c-sections. First time I got dry shaved by a registrar (which I found somewhat demeaning). Second time I clipped the area before hand because I knew a c-section was on the cards.

So regarding the hair removal, they will cut through the first scar, so just use your chosen hair removal method on either side of your scar (bear in mind the primary reason that you will want to do this is so that when they take the bandage off it doesn't hurt so much). I wouldn't remove all the hair though as regrowth stubble/itchiness isn't ideal either.

Re the surgeon's 'intake of breath' don't blame yourself or your dh for this, if it was that important then it should have been checked by one of the team pre-op. so don't stress too much smile

Meglet Fri 23-Sep-11 07:30:37

The midwife / nurse checked mine before I put my gown on. Ask them to check before you go in.

HPonEverything Fri 23-Sep-11 09:05:18

I am thinking of going for a bikini wax before mine. Is this a good or bad idea, people?

EightiesChick Fri 23-Sep-11 09:10:21

I had an ELCS planned well in advance, didn't do anything regarding this as I usually don't, and nothing was said at all, no removal required. I believe it varies a lot from one hospital to another. I would ring and ask. Good luck!

moocowmrs Fri 23-Sep-11 09:11:01

I had a section on monday, used a cream on sunday night, well dh did, when I had a lovely bath and pamper ! was a real treat obv not the bakini line but the rest, made me feel much better on going into hospital x

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Fri 23-Sep-11 09:20:21

I got told at my pre-op to NOT wax/shave/hair removal of any kind as it was much more hygenic and less chance of infection if they did it in theatre.

hubbahubster Fri 23-Sep-11 10:30:31

Why on earth would shaving yourself have a risk of infection? You don't shave up inside your fanjo, plus your cervix is closed and your mucus plug is in place. And I've never had a skin infection from shaving. What a weird idea!

I shaved my bikini line all through pregnancy, albeit I was flying blind for the last few months. Just did the same as usual the night before my section. The midwife then asked if I'd shaved myself before we went into theatre, didn't check me but there were no complaints. You should be able to feel whether you've done a good job. Or get it waxed - might be nice since it'll last longer and you won't want to shave over your scar for a bit, if that bothers you.

themightyskim Fri 23-Sep-11 10:59:17

hubbahubster Fanjo ahahaha thats made me laugh, if I shave I have massive great lumpy reactions so suppose that might be why, my mates always just had hers shaved while she was there and waiting to go in

god pregnancy is such a glamorous affair hmm

icravecheese Fri 23-Sep-11 16:34:19

We have been reading my 'c-section' advice booklet, as issued by my hospital (ELCS 2 wks today) & my DH found the bit about shaving & was almost excited that he might have an important job to do the night before!! Booklet did say either you do it at home, or they will do it for you... can't decide which is best bet....think i'll give it a go at home, then if no good ask nurse/ midwife to check in pre-op.

Also.... read on some section posts things about nail polish....I HATE not having painted toes (sorry, that sounds so vain!), my booklet doesnt mention it but should I remove all traces of polish pre op? I know they sometimes use those infra-red sensors on fingers / toes to get pulse readings....

Sidge Fri 23-Sep-11 16:42:09

hubbahubster they are cutting through your abdomen and if you have introduced a follicular infection by shaving your pubic hair there is a risk of the infection being introduced into the wound.

Some hospitals advise shaving the top of your pubic hair prior to surgery, some say to leave it and their nurses/midwives will do it, others don't shave pre-op at all. It very much depends on the individual hospital and their surgeon's preferences.

icravecheese generally speaking they like you to remove all traces of polish and make up when you go to theatre. Check with staff when you go in and take some remover with you just in case!

icravecheese Fri 23-Sep-11 16:46:42

thanks sidge, will 'prepare' myself the night before - can't imagine surgeon will be impressed if he has to perform a mini beauty session of mani/pedi/bikini line before he gets started on the op!!

HPonEverything Fri 23-Sep-11 16:49:34

icravecheese my leaflet says similar - that they'll shave the top 2cm (or inches, can't remember!) but if you prefer you can do it at home which I will. Am not going to wear polish or make-up as it'll be 8am and I'll have enough on to just get to hospital at that time of the morning never mind do full make-up!

icravecheese Fri 23-Sep-11 16:52:39

No I certainly won't be wearing make-up either as we have to be there at 8am too. In fact, can't remember last time I wore make-up... perhaps just once, nearly 9 months ago...hmmmm look where that got me grin.

hubbahubster Sat 24-Sep-11 15:54:47

The nail polish thing is so that they can check the colour of your nails, see how well you are/circulation, that sort of thing. I too hate having bare toenails - one of the greatest thrills post-delivery was being able to paint my own tootsies again after months of not being able to reach my feet!

nooka Sat 24-Sep-11 18:01:19

If the surgeon isn't impressed it will be with his/her team for not following his/her instructions, not with you. Running a clipper/razor over the area takes a few seconds so really don't worry about how it might affect your operation!

Personally I just found I really didn't like being shaved by the registrar, which is why I gave the area a quick trim the second time, otherwise I'd just follow the advice of the hospital. My c-section is just right at the top of my pubic hair, so the top inch off was fine, and I just clipped it short, so no risk of infection.

ArthurPewty Sat 24-Sep-11 18:11:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now