Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had weekly sweeps from 37 weeks and have they worked???

(6 Posts)
becks130 Thu 22-Sep-11 13:22:16

Hi,

I've just come back from my consultant appointment and she has said that I will have weekly sweeps from next friday (37 weeks) as baby is big, I suffer terrible insomnia, SPD and borderline high blood pressure so to try and minimise being medically induced they will give me sweeps.

Has anyone else had this? Is there anything that I can do to help things along and to maximise the chances of it working.

Thanks

sleepevader Thu 22-Sep-11 15:24:41

Watching with interest- similar circs

Catsycat Thu 22-Sep-11 16:59:02

Yes, I had sweeps from 37 weeks with DD2, as I did not go into labour, had a failed induction and EMCS with DD1, and wanted to try for VBAC second time.

To maximise your chances you need to do things that will make the baby's head put pressure on your cervix. So walking, and bouncing on a birth ball, are good, if you can manage that with SPD.

I ended up having about 6 sweeps in all, and I did start to go into labour at 40 +12. I had mild irregular contractions for 2 days before going in for monitoring at 40 +14. I was then kept in because of major decelerations in the baby's heartbeat, and ended up with another EMCS next day because I failed to progress beyond 2-3cm. DD2 was fine, but had the cord wrapped round her neck, and the mw said I had made a wise decision to have the EMCS when I did!!!

I would say the sweeps did work though, because I did go into labour. The mw did the Bishops score each time she did a sweep, and we could see there was improvement every time. With DD1, I was 18 days overdue by the time she was born, and had no contractions at all before the induction. After 3 days of being induced, I finally got to 2-3cm before the CS. So there was a definite improvement after the sweeps.

Good luck - hope it works for you!

cowboylover Thu 22-Sep-11 21:30:32

They attempted them with me but cervix was to high IIRC to do them even when I got to 41 weeks so don't be concerned if they can't do it as ALOT depends on it's position and if it's your 1st baby ect

Good luck x

tostaky Fri 23-Sep-11 05:43:26

Sex (however uncomfortable it was) was definitely more efficient than sweeps in my case wink

becks130 Fri 23-Sep-11 09:51:19

Thanks for all the replies, this is my 3rd DC so hopefully they will be successful. I had a scan yesterday and they said that they baby was far down and last night I could feel terrible pressure in my bottome (sorry for TMI!) so hopefully thats I a sign he's moving down more, has anyone else experienced this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now