Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried ECV has harmed my baby

(15 Posts)
HPonEverything Thu 22-Sep-11 05:17:45

Hi all, I had an ECV earlier this week which was a total failure and now I'm so terrified that my baby has been harmed that I can't sleep sad
It just felt like it must have been pretty brutal for my LO as his legs are stuck in a weird position and the doctor was yanking his head round. I'm pretty bruised myself (feels like inside iykwim) so how could the baby have escaped unharmed? I'm 38wks btw.

Has anyone else had ECV and felt really sore after but baby was fine? It's hard to know what's normal.

TanteRose Thu 22-Sep-11 06:05:34

hi HPon,

ECVs are really painful, aren't they?

I had one at about 32 weeks to try and turn my DS. It was agony sad
and it didn't work either, but he did turn eventually (I think it was at 38 wks, maybe even 39).

your DS should be fine - the amniotic fluid is amazing at cushioning any pushing/bumping that happened with the ECV. He may well turn right at the last moment too, so don't despair smile

if you are worried, go back to your doctor and get a check up.

I didn't try it, but acupuncture works for breech babies apparantly.

Good luck - you will soon be meeting your DS! how lovely...smile

StuckUpTheFarawayTree Thu 22-Sep-11 06:10:00

I had one with my DD, who is now nearly 8 yrs old. It hurt like hell and I would never do it again. And it didn't work.

She is, and was, absolutely fine. Born by ELCS, which went smoothly. Try not to worry.

HPonEverything Thu 22-Sep-11 06:54:12

I don't think I'd do it again either. The pain would be worth it if it had worked but now I'm just worried at the side effects of a procedure that was, for me, pointless.

Based on this post they have a 0% success rate! Thanks so much ladies for your reassuring posts smile

I think they decided it was pointless before starting due to baby's leg position, and something about the shape of my uterus that I didn't really understand blush and nobody thinks he will turn now so am booked for a cesarian.

Oh well, I tried.

Newmom2b Thu 22-Sep-11 10:33:35

Oh great I'm booked in for one next week! Would be interested to hear any positive stories!! I'm trying everything to turn him in the meantime... x

HPonEverything Thu 22-Sep-11 10:41:00

Well newmom2b they must work or I guess they would stop doing them! I was really positive beforehand given the 70% success rate.

I think mine was particularly bad due to the way the baby is lying (his legs are in some mental position and kind of stuck somewhere).

For some people it's probably as easy as spinning 'the wheel of fortune' grin

mawbroon Thu 22-Sep-11 11:02:03

I was booked in to have ECV with ds1, and the consultant took one prod and said it would take too much force to move him.

He had one leg by his ear and the other below.

Turns out I have a bicornuate (heart shaped) uterus and ds1's head was completely stuck in one of the lobes. It sounds like you may well have something like this too.

I had an ELCS for ds1, but went on to have a VBAC for ds2 who was head down.

I hope it all goes well for you!

HPonEverything Thu 22-Sep-11 13:09:13

Hi mawbroon yes, the consultant mentioned heart-shaped but I didn't really know what he meant in terms of which way up the heart is and I didn't like to ask blush.

My baby has one leg straight out (dangling down type thing), and one leg bent. I just hope it's not a sign of me having a generally awkward child!

I really was hoping for a VB but c'est la vie.

mawbroon Thu 22-Sep-11 13:40:27

bicornuate uterus here

There are varying degrees of severity. Mine is not as divided as the one in this picture. And I would guess that the fact you have made it to 38wks means that yours probably isn't either. Some can be so divided, that there is simply no room left by the second semester that early labour can occur. But you are well past all this, so don't try to worry about it (and don't google!!)

If it's any consolation, my tangled, stuck, breech ds1 is the easiest going, sweetest almost 6yo boy, despite getting in a muddle in the womb!!

I understand that you are probably disappointed at not having a VB, but I know in my case (we didn't know about the uterus until I was having my CS), I felt it was definitely the safest option.

mawbroon Thu 22-Sep-11 13:41:49

semester? trimester of course!

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Thu 22-Sep-11 15:36:44

From what I read prior to my ECV appointment if it's painful it's a sign that it's not likely to be successful. I was lucky and baby had turned in time so I didn't have one in the end. Sorry to hear it was a bad experience but like you said at least you gave it a go smile Hope you feel better soon and all the best for your ELCS

HPonEverything Thu 22-Sep-11 15:54:54

Thank you. They didn't tell me that! I could tell she wanted to give up after about 5 minutes and I was in a lot of pain, but I was of the mindset that the very temporary pain was better than longer-term CS recovery time so I just kept saying "no, it's fine! just carry on!"

Now I wish I hadn't bothered because the worry of 'is the baby ok?' is endless sad

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Thu 22-Sep-11 21:26:49

Have you got any more check ups booked to reassure you? Am sure baby will be fine and well cushioned as other people have said. I would imagine the discomfort us from your abdominal muscles perhaps? Did they say anything about what to expect afterwards or if you need to rest or take painkillers? Hope you feel better soon smile

NightLark Thu 22-Sep-11 21:32:06

If it's any help at all, I had an ECV with DD (now age 12 weeks) which did work, and had no apparent effects on her at all apart from turning her from breech to cephalic. I think they are so well cushioned in there that it's only you who feels the pain.

Purplebuns Thu 22-Sep-11 21:50:18

My friend had two ECVs successfully although the last coincided with an induction at 38 weeks to make sure the baby stayed down. She was really worried the second time as it was so painful the first time. She was very happy she had VBs for both and was quite anti CS.

Both of her babies were fine having gone through the turnings and are healthy, there is lots of cushioning and they wouldn't do it at all if there was a real risk as they can just do a cs, so the fact that is an option shows it should be ok. And don't forget babies are really hardy and cope with much worse.

If you are really worried I am sure your MW would be more than happy to see you, check baby and offer you some reassurance. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now