Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

One BFP and one BFN an hour apart! Help please!

(18 Posts)
verycherry82 Wed 21-Sep-11 17:41:43

Have also posted this in Conception but am really desperate for opinions!

Exactly as the title says really! AF was due on Monday, I tested on Saturday (a but early I know) and got a BFN, tested on Monday and got a BFN with a Clearblue Plus (supposed to show 4 days before AF is due), tested today with the 2nd Clearblue Plus as I felt ever so slightly (and I really mean ever so slightly) queasy and got a BFN, tested about an hour later with a First Response and got a not really that faint BFP.

Thoughts please ladies!!! I googled false positives with first response tests and there were lots of stories about them so am too scared to even get remotely excited!

melliebobs Wed 21-Sep-11 17:46:57

A positive is a positive. Congratulations.

False negatives are common a false positive is less so

lolajane2009 Wed 21-Sep-11 17:53:11

I'd trust the positive not the neg too

elesbells Wed 21-Sep-11 17:57:37

i would also trust the positive...positives are rarely wrong..smile the hormone has to be there somewhere for it to show up. its a lot more common for a negative to be wrong..

larakitten Wed 21-Sep-11 18:01:33

My repeated negative test result has just celebrated her 4th birthday today......so i would say congrats are due!

verycherry82 Wed 21-Sep-11 18:10:49

I am so hoping you are all right! My little boy is 8 and a half months and we have only been trying for 3 months and it all feels like it could be a bit too good to be true!

I think I'll leave it a couple of days and test again and go from there.

Too scared to even talk about it to my DP!!

CollieandPup Wed 21-Sep-11 18:30:45

Congratulations cherry a positive is a positive. I got my first faint positive with FR at 17dpo while the others were stilll negative....i'm 31weeks now!

I tested again a couple of days later and then every day after that as i couldn't actually believe it to watch the lines get stronger!

xkatyx Wed 21-Sep-11 18:53:51

Personally I didn't get a BFP with clear blue for ages but first response straight away. Try again with frost morning pee.

Good luck

banana87 Wed 21-Sep-11 19:48:46

Positive is a positive and different tests have different hormone level requirements. You are pregnant! Congrats!

verycherry82 Thu 22-Sep-11 07:02:38

The plot thickens! I did the 2nd first response test at 5am this morning after being awake all night and although it showed a positive the line was much lighter than before. What does that mean? Are my levels decreasing and it's a chemical pregnancy? I feel so anxious! If I make a drs appointment, will their test be any different or will they just tell me to wait and test again in a week?

Oeisha Thu 22-Sep-11 08:56:21

Firstly, Congrats! 2 positives- think you can start worrying about all the other shite relax tbh. There are a whole host of reasons for a 'paler' line, the usual one being a more dilute concentration of hormones in your wee due to higher levels of fluid consumption the evening before and during the night.
If you've had a positive at all, they're unlikely to test again (unless very anal about these things) as a positive is a positive - and if you ring them they're more likely to book you in with a MW straight away or just give you your booking apt (usually with MW). If it settled you though, give it 5 days and test again with early morning sample.
It would only be at your booking/bloods appointment that they'd test for hormones in you blood, otherwise if they did bother, it'd be peeing on a stick again, unless you were worried about any other symptoms/signs in which case they might blood test early I guess.

CollieandPup Thu 22-Sep-11 09:17:48

Are you sure it's fainter? Are you comparing todays to how yesterdays looked yesterday, or how it looks this morning -following? The lines get stronger the longer they are left. I kept all mine blush even the bfns, but after I'd had some positives and went back to look at the negatives a couple of weeks later I noticed they did have a faint line, which was not there when I first peed on them!!! If you've had 2 positives, your pg, and it's probably just the test. A chemical pg isn't out of the question, but unlikely. Fx! Welcome to the mentalling!! Xx

banana87 Thu 22-Sep-11 17:58:38

My faint positives took 2 days to get noticebly stronger rather than one day. Try not to panic!

Mum2be79 Thu 22-Sep-11 18:55:27

I've had a false negative before. They are more common than you think. As said less so with a positive.

verycherry82 Fri 23-Sep-11 13:06:10

Well, went to the doctors yesterday. They did a test and it was definitely negative. Had blood tests today and need to wait a week for the results. Resigned myself to the fact that I'm obviously not pregnant and will need to start again! Just waiting for AF now.

PamBeesly Fri 23-Sep-11 13:12:02

I don't want to raise your hopes cherry but the tests they use at the doctors aren't as strong as first response and clear blue and you might be very very early and the GP test may not show it yet. You've had 2 positives, its much more common to have false negatives than false positives. I hope it is a BFP for you

MonsterBookOfTysons Fri 23-Sep-11 13:18:23

Hope the blood tests show up as positive for you.
I found first response much more sensitive.

eggcup Sun 25-Sep-11 19:45:49

try a boots own brand test, i found them much easier to read than clearblue (and about half the price!). good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now