Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Non 'girly' baby girls clothes

(38 Posts)
BellaCB Wed 21-Sep-11 17:16:06

We've just found out we're having a little girl, which is wonderful, but the issue is that neither DP or me are big fans of overly 'girly' girls clothes - by which I mean we don't want to overdose on pink, or flowers, or frills and bows, or anything that says 'princess' (apologies to everyone who likes this style, I'm really not judging!). However, I know with babies you do need a degree of 'colour-coding' when they are little so I don't want to dress her in blues and greens and confuse everyone! grin

Does anyone have any suggestions of good (and relatively inexpensive) places to shop that have a good range of baby girls clothes in reds, lilacs, yellows etc?

m1nn1em0u5e Wed 21-Sep-11 17:19:11

Ooh Bella! I have been to M&S today, they have some really lovely stuff in in shades of purple, and creams etc....Really lovely stuff....Im having a boy, but I got a couple of lovely outfits too....really impressed!....They werent too expensive either, eg packs of 2 leggings for £6 & tops for £5....

nickelbabe Wed 21-Sep-11 17:20:54

Vertbaudet have some lovely girl;s clothes that aren't pink or frilly.

nickelbabe Wed 21-Sep-11 17:21:33

(they are a bit more expensive, but they sent me a voucher with money off a purchase, so it's worth checking out...)

m1nn1em0u5e Wed 21-Sep-11 17:22:15

There is quite a lot of stuff on the M&S web site smile Happy shopping!

nickelbabe Wed 21-Sep-11 17:23:08

i disagree with the colour-coding, though.

if they want to be prejudiced against your baby, it's not your problem.
I am looking forward to making steely eyes and going "it's a girl" through gritted teeth. grin

but then i'm evil. (and it'll probably be "it's a boy" through gritted teeth)

Justguessing Wed 21-Sep-11 17:27:50

Another vote for m&s here and mini club at boots is also worth checking out. I'm not a fan of pretty pink clothes either but I usually find stuff I like in there. They often have a buy one get one half price thing going on too.

LaWeasel Wed 21-Sep-11 17:38:59

Feel the love of H&M.

They always have cotton vests/shorts/trousers/tops in plain or stripey colours, as well as animal patterns etc. I love them.

LaWeasel Wed 21-Sep-11 17:40:26

The advantage of a girl is you get away with it more, DD had hundreds of second hand blue baby clothes, I had to explain she was was a girl occasionally but if anyone thought it was odd no-one said anything.

ladyintheradiator Wed 21-Sep-11 17:44:01

My DD wears a lot of green and blue. She is most often called a boy when in pink, though. DS has been called 'a lovely little girl' many a time when wearing what are probably quite typical 'boy' clothes.

Green baby are good and have lots of promotions, discounts etc.

BellaCB Wed 21-Sep-11 18:42:35

nickelbabe - I might be with you there! I know colour coding makes life easier, but it seems to be to such a ridiculous degree at the moment.

This may also be because I was a real tomboy until about 12 and am living in fear of my DD turning around and saying "Mummy, can you french plait my hair and can I take ballet lessons?" smile

going Wed 21-Sep-11 18:48:51

Next have some nice unisex clothes in red and also some stripey stuff.

PassTheTwiglets Wed 21-Sep-11 18:57:40

Colour cooding doesn't make a bit of difference anyway. DS is 4 years old and even on days where he's wearing utterly sterotypically boys' clothes, and I'm calling after him by his obviously boy's name people still think he's a girl smile (his hair is a few inches down his neck - not even long!)

PassTheTwiglets Wed 21-Sep-11 18:58:32

coding, even. Would you believe I changed that typo twice and still got it wrong? smile Congratulations on your baby girl, btw smile

Moulesfrites Wed 21-Sep-11 19:02:41

I was in Zara today, they had some lovely girls things but not pink and princessy at all.

pommedechocolat Wed 21-Sep-11 19:04:28

Second Zara recommendation. I like mothercare too for dd just a shame about their online service!

HerdOfTinyElephants Wed 21-Sep-11 19:10:29

French plaiting hair is actually pretty practical for a girl who likes to drag herself backwards through bushes, because it keeps the bits that are otherwise going to get coated in paint and pasta sauce out of the way for longer than many alternative hair approaches...

eBay is pretty good because you can do a big seach for, say, clothes in 0-3 month old sizes that are not pink, and generally pick stuff up cheaply. TBH most of the cheap baby clothes ranges (e.g. Mothercare, Tesco, Asda...) have stuff that isn't too badly colour-coded; they just don't have a huge amount of it at any one time so you need to shop around. I've never had a problem clothing the DDs without resorting to disproportionate amounts of pink .

Bunsouttheoven Wed 21-Sep-11 19:15:54

H&M are always good

AWimbaWay Wed 21-Sep-11 19:18:41

I rarely dress my girls in pink and haven't found it hard to find stuff in most high street shops. I find gap quite good or polarn o pyret

Organics for kids is good for baby stuff but not cheap.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Wed 21-Sep-11 19:19:16

Primark good for cheap basics too, lots of lilacs and purples, red and blue. Cheap but they wash well.

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 21-Sep-11 19:20:51

obaibi- they are french I think, they have to shops in northern ireland but may well do online, and they are reasonably priced.

Siamsa Wed 21-Sep-11 19:23:36

Polarn o pyret, a lot of the clothes are unisex. Gorgeous, bright, admittedly pricey but lasts ages

brianmayshair Wed 21-Sep-11 19:32:03

nordic kids are great as are katvig which you can pick up on ebay.

brianmayshair Wed 21-Sep-11 19:34:30

I also second organics for kids, love their baby gros.

Catsycat Wed 21-Sep-11 19:36:05

I don't love wall to wall pink, and TBH it just does nothing for my DDs colouring anyway!

So, another vote for H&M. They do some lovely unisex items, their baby vests are soft, wash well a million times and are in lovely funky colours like red, purple, apple green and teal, as well as the obvious pale pink / pale blue and white. The girls clothes vary in style quite a lot, so there is usually something in the range for the uber-girly girl or the less girly. Just bought DD2 a gorgeous red baby cord pinafore with a kitten on it - very cute and but a lovely bold colour.

M&S do some lovely rich colours.

Next has some nice reds at the moment, it can go through pastel phases, but we have had some lovely lime green / turquoise / teal things from there. Quite a bit of our Next stuff has floral prints, but they tend to be quite abstract / funky rather than twee. They have a lovely lime green girls duffle coat ATM.

Monsoon is very feminine, lots of embroidery detailing which may not be your thing, but quite tasteful and often in a good variety of colours.

If you want to splash out, try an independent shop for brands like Toby Tiger or Frugi (they have websites too). I find them a bit steep for everyday, but we have had christmas / birthday outfits with lovely applique motifs or bold stripes (have found they wash well too).

At the other end of the spectrum, we've found some lovely things in Tesco, Sainsburys and Matalan.

Remember, a lot of bows and frills etc. can be removed with a seam ripper and a bit of patience!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now