Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what will they do to me then

(25 Posts)
gluttom Wed 21-Sep-11 06:51:20

i have been to mau with reduced fetal movements twice in my pregnancy - all ok. my midwife looked at my notes last week and said -hmmm try to concentrate more on feeling movements -you don't want to be going a third time. 39 weeks now and been up all night feeling stressed about not many moves but feel i shouldn't go as will get black mark against my name. Will something bad happen to me on strike 3!?

MrsVidic Wed 21-Sep-11 06:55:37

If in doubt go in. They won't do anything (i don't think bar monitoring you) I'm Airedale midwife would prefer to see 100 ppl and say there's fine than have to tell a lady she's lost her baby. Go in.

gluttom Wed 21-Sep-11 06:57:58

i feel like the boy that cried wolf as when i got here last time she didn't stop moving but this time i am really worried.

LoveInAColdClimate Wed 21-Sep-11 07:00:10

If you are worried, go in. Maybe your midwife just meant you wouldn't want the stress of having to go a third time if it could be avoided by concentrating (not saying you weren't already concentrating, BTW).

gluttom Wed 21-Sep-11 07:04:18

will give it a couple of hours - have felt a few moves - had awful night concentrating then dropping off and dreaming about bad things happening. so anxious atm - want to go into labour - this DC3 - should know better.

loverocky Wed 21-Sep-11 07:11:28

if you are worried i agree go in, but if you're 39 weeks just bare in mind the baby can't move around so much then as restricted movement because of lack of space smile

loverocky Wed 21-Sep-11 07:12:02

if you are worried i agree go in, but if you're 39 weeks just bare in mind the baby can't move around so much then as restricted movement because of lack of space smile

IzzyWizzyletsgetbusy Wed 21-Sep-11 07:15:11

When I was pg with dc1 the hospital had a policy of induction if you'd been in three times for reduced movements at or very close to term (this is why I was induced) - maybe she was referring to something like that?

In any case, nothing bad is going to happen if you go in, and you should always, always get checked out if you think movements are less, so don't let it put you off!

IzzyWizzyletsgetbusy Wed 21-Sep-11 07:16:50

And if you've been up all night worrying about it then please do go in - if only to set your mind at rest; they would much rather see you than take any chances.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Wed 21-Sep-11 07:22:54

Hopefully what she meant was that sometimes it does take some concentration cause it's easy to miss movements when you are busy doing other things. Have you noticed a pattern to baby's movements?

CBear6 Wed 21-Sep-11 09:22:52

Definitely go in and get checked. Look at it this way, if your baby was actually here and not moving much you'd get her checked out so this is no different. Reduced movement can be a sign of a distress and it is worrying when baby is quiet, she's more than likely fine but you're stressed so go. Even if your hospital has a "three strikes and you get induced" policy you can refuse the induction and there's not a thing they can do about it.

SurprisEs Wed 21-Sep-11 09:33:43

Go in if you're worried. Being worried/ stressed isn't good for you and baby. If all is ok they can't tie you to a bed and force induction can they? No

icravecheese Wed 21-Sep-11 09:38:07

I am nearly 37wks with DC3 & went for a CTG at 34wks, the same day that i'd had a growth scan (so had seen on screen that morning that all was ok, but was worried about lack of movements by the evening). Midwives were fab & fine about it, even gave me the bands they put round your tummy to keep in case I need to go back in again.

I totally know how you feel - not wanting to make a fuss etc, but sometimes with 2 other kids running around, it is actually really hard to concentrate on fetal movement. Some days it gets to 5pm & I have to think really hard "have I felt enough mvmt today?". The midwives will understand this, so don't delay, get on the phone & get down the unit this morning.

MrsEricBana Wed 21-Sep-11 09:40:01

Oh definitely go and get checked - it will reassure you and I'm sure they wouldn't induce you unless was medically necessary, in which case you were right to go. Good luck!

lenak Wed 21-Sep-11 09:43:16

I went in three times with reduced movement when I was pg with DD1.

The third time I was 7 days overdue and drove myself to the hospital on a Saturday night as DH was busy.

They told me that because it was my third time, I would need to see the consultant on the Monday (was already booked in for an induction the following Thursday).

In the end, I didn't need to because I went into labour the following day.

Go and get checked if you are worried - better safe than sorry. I knew deep down each time I went in that I was just being a paranoid pregnant lady - especially when she kicked like a trooper as soon as they switched the monitor on in reaction to the vibrations, but I think it is one paranoia that should never be ignored.

And remember first babies in particular often go quiet, just before labour starts as they are resting and getting ready, so you might be close.

Good luck x

mumblejumble Wed 21-Sep-11 14:51:20

I would go in, have been in today myself for 2nd time and am 34 weeks.
Better to have an induction for RFM than take a risk IMO
hope everything is ok

gluttom Wed 21-Sep-11 14:58:06

Thanks she is moving just a bit more solid lump type moves iygwim rather than limbs. Am hoping her back is straight at front and limbs all tucked in ready for birth - still a bit worried - have sat on sofa all day - will see how she is at her most active time tonight and is still worried go then

hawthers Wed 21-Sep-11 15:51:06

when i felt like this in my last pg the MW is spoke to suggested sitting down with my feet up watching tv for half an hour with a big cup of tea and a large chocolate bar. the combination of resting together with a bit of caffeine and some sugar is supposed to help you de-stress and kick start any jumping (it worked) but she said if i still felt worried after that to go in.

am sure they won't mind and if you are worried about a black mark give them a call before you go and to understand if they have any automatic referrals for a third visit.

but anyway b0llocks to black marks - if you are worried, please go get checked.

SurprisEs Wed 21-Sep-11 15:54:44

Black mark? Please enlighten me.

gluttom Wed 21-Sep-11 16:05:11

I don't know what I mean - I suppose - think you a bit paranoid and a time waster. I think I am paranoid so haven't been yet

SurprisEs Wed 21-Sep-11 16:24:16

Don't like the sound of it. Everyone reacts differently to preagnancy and some people are more anxious then others. Putting a label on them really helps nobody.

NotFromConcentrate Wed 21-Sep-11 16:34:36

Please don't sit at home and worry. Ring them and explain you've followed the advice of spending time concentrating etc, and that you're still worried. As another poster said, I'm sure they'd rather reassure a worried mum than have a poorly baby and mum on their hands.

pozzled Wed 21-Sep-11 16:40:18

Please go in if you are worried. I'm sure they won't mind. And if they do, the worse that can happen is that a few mws think you are paranoid. Do you really care what they think of you, as long as your baby is ok?

thisisyesterday Wed 21-Sep-11 16:44:54

why don't you give it an hour. have a cold drink and go and lie down.

count the kicks.

if you're still concerned then ring them and ask if you should come in. if you feel plenty of movement then you might feel reassured and not need to

please, please, please do not worry about them thinking you're paranoid or geting a black mark against your name...

whizzyrocket Wed 21-Sep-11 17:15:42

Call them, tell them you're worried but that you feel like the boy who cried wolf because of before and see what they say. My bet is that they'll want to see you and will be understanding even when everything is fine (I have my fingers crossed for you!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now