Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice for picking up exercise again during pregnancy

(5 Posts)
PlinkertyPlonk Mon 19-Sep-11 18:04:44

I was very active and sporty up until about 6 months ago, when I started commuting to work which killed any opportunity to exercise. I am now 11 wks pregnant and kicking myself that I didn't manage to keep it up. I am feeling very unfit and am desperate to start exercising again; I've picked up the swimming again, but I wondered whether jogging would be a really bad idea to start now?

The doctor has told me to keep up the exercise, including cycling, but I don't think he realised it's been 6 months since I've done anything in earnest.

I'm not talking about running 5 or 10ks, just a gentle jog for as long as I can manage (prob a few mins mixed with walking). Would this be insane?

Woodifer Mon 19-Sep-11 19:23:58

hiya plink - just do stuff gently and listen to your body - i was pretty active and kept running (well jogging) - but got a bad pelvis (SPD/ PGP) at 14 weeks. I don't know if i would have got this anyway, or maybe not at all or not as soon if i hadn't been running.

Some people are obviously able to keep jogging right to the end - but with the impact it might be an idea to stick to brisk walking (with up hills if you have some nearby), swimming is low impact, as is cycling (if you are confident cycling outdoors, or on an exercise bike/ turbo trainer).

I am 33 weeks pregnant and still cycling - but i am used to cycling in traffic as it is part of my daily commute (and so far my balance hasn't been affected by my bump) - though the uphills are getting to be quite hard work !!

ragged Mon 19-Sep-11 19:38:16

Agree with what Woodifer said, sounds likely that your body will have retained banked fitness that will help you go back in at a level above that where a pure couch potato would be at.
Bottom line is listen to your body: overheating is the only big risk to avoid, second would be (related) dehydration and ligament injuries, just go with what feels good, not a strain.

HardCheese Mon 19-Sep-11 21:25:39

I'd worry more about the unaccustomed jolting of starting to run again (even gently) while pregnant, after six months of not running, though I'm sure you'd have plenty of residual fitness. I think in your position I'd stick to swimming and fast walking, on a treadmill with a steep incline (or up an actual hill, obviously). I'm 14 weeks and using a cross-trainer and exercise bike daily, on a lower intensity than when pre-pregnant, but for longer, so as not to overheat etc. And I'm planning to start pre-natal yoga and possibly pilates.

But you know your own body best!

PlinkertyPlonk Wed 21-Sep-11 22:06:37

Busy week, but back online again!

Lots of good advice, thanks everyone. I'm impressed at still cycling at 33wks, good for you! Does the bump get in the way? I think the bike might be the answer. I don't know much about SPD (other than the bike pedals confused) but from what I've read, it sounds very painful and not much fun. Never really liked running that much anyway, it's just a fast way to get fit, but I'm prone to running injuries without the stretchy ligaments so I'll give the jogging a miss. Plenty of hills around here, so I'll tackle a few of those at a fast march instead (who am I kidding? I'll be out of breath past the first field!).

Poor little bean has been jolted around quite alot already, from chasing the kids around, climbing trees and jumping off things (I know, most undignified for a 40-something!), so hopefully it's not going anywhere in a hurry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now