Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Quick question (sorry if TMI), discharge, urine or amnio fluid?

(12 Posts)
LDNmummy Mon 19-Sep-11 14:32:42

Yesterday and today I have had some leakage but I don't know what it is.

It doesn't smell like urine but is almost the same colour, if only a bit lighter, and it is like water in feel.

It has only happened after I have gotten up from sleeping or lying down for an extended period of time so has not been a throughout the day kind of leak.

Does anyone have a clue if it is one of the above?

I am 37+5 and don't want to call the doc if it is just my bladder leaking or a water like discharge blush

It is a fair amount as I have noticed it to run down my inner thigh slightly, but not enough to need a panty liner either.

bagelmonkey Mon 19-Sep-11 14:47:00

I'm sorry, I have no idea, but maybe you should call your midwife?

Nevercan Mon 19-Sep-11 14:51:34

It could well be amnio fluid and it sounds just like it. Your waters can sometimes break and if the baby head is engaged it will leak rather than gush out. I would go and get checked by your midwife just to be sure smile

Wafflepuss Mon 19-Sep-11 14:52:31

Sounds like it could be your waters, mine went at 32 weeks and trickled down my legs, were clear in colour and were worse if i stood up after sitting or lying down. How does it smell? Waters have quite a distinctive odour, not horrible or anything just a smell of their own. You should probably pop to the hospital and get checked out, better safe than sorry and all that.

PamBeesly Mon 19-Sep-11 14:56:24

Hi Ldn,

It sounds like it could be your waters, maybe things are starting to happen for you. I'd ring the doctor or MW just to be sure, thats what they are there for

LDNmummy Mon 19-Sep-11 15:02:40

Thanks guys, I have been in and out of my obstetrics unit so many times I just hate being a bother.

I will call the midwife.

It doesn't smell of much really, doesn't smell like ammonia but it doesn't smell of anything else distinctive either. It is a very light yellow colour, very much lighter than my usual urine tone (sorry again if TMI).

Baby has been head down and ready to go for a while now so it wouldn't surprise me if she was blocking it.

outthere Mon 19-Sep-11 16:43:42

Hiya, I'm 30+2 and have been ahving the same thing for a couple of weeks, usually about 20 minutes after getting up in the morning. It's exactly as you describe.

I also had it in my last pregnancy and was convinced it was my waters. In fact, it got worse and worse until my waters properly went pop at 33 weeks however I was pg with twins so I think that was the reason for the prem labour rather than a leak.

When it started happening this time I've been thinking it's just watery discharge as I have no other signs or reasons for prem labour...

HTH but now it's got me wondering.... is it not normal to have watery discharge in the morning (barely a thimbleful but watery enough to run down my legs)? confused

lookout Mon 19-Sep-11 18:06:16

LDN, I have this too but I'm only 35 weeks. I have been wondering the same thing, so will be following with interest!

whackamole Mon 19-Sep-11 21:48:36

I've been wondering the same too LDN and Lookout! I am also 35 weeks. Will be keeping an eye out, have MW appt this week.

morethemerrier Tue 20-Sep-11 11:29:07

I agree it sounds like your waters, mine went at term with my daughter and it took me a while to realise what it was!

Straw like colour, distinct musty/oaty smell not offensive (well mine wasnt).
Has your bump changed shape at all? Again, it was only when I caught site of my bump in the mirror that I realised it had dropped and gone like a popped balloon iyswim? There was a dip under my breast bone that hadnt been there.

I then started loosing a lot after the initial trickles that I needed a pad and then the penny dropped! Midwife came,smelled the pad (shock and confirmed they were leaking and babies head was basically bloccking the full on gush!

Do get checked out as I am sure you know there is a risk of infection etc.

Good luck!

lookout Tue 20-Sep-11 15:32:13

morethemerrier, thanks for the detail, strange as it sounds it is helpful. Doesn't sound like it is my waters, fingers crossed for LDN!

morethemerrier Tue 20-Sep-11 15:54:32

Lookout you're welcome, happy to help!

Wonder how LDN got on with her midwife? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now