Advanced search

Can you elect to ahve a CS because you've delivererd by CS before? Or is there a lot more to it than that.

(12 Posts)
HappyAsIAm Mon 19-Sep-11 12:14:22

DS (3 yo) was delivered by emergency CS after a 2 day labour during which I only reached 8 cm. It was described as 'failure to progress'. I was given syntocin and an epidural at the same time, and my contractions diminished to almost nothing. DS' heartbeat dropped, and he was delivered by CS 2 hours after the syntocin/epidural.

I am now 8 weeks pregnant with our second baby, and I understand from my local surgery (we have recently moved house) that the midwife doesn't see pregnant women until they are 16 weeks. I need to find out how I go about booking a 12 week scan, but I am digressing! I know that when I see the midwife she will ask about my previous birth and my options for this birth.

Labour last time was long, painful and stressful, and exhausted me in preparation for BFing and caring for my new baby.

I am considering having an elective CS this time round, if indeed I am allowed one. Does anyone know what the rules/guidelines are on requesting an elective CS in my circumstances please?

Many thanks.

miamama09 Mon 19-Sep-11 14:08:09

Hi, I had DD by EMCS. Similar to you, very stressful, terrible circumstances, very lucky to have a good outcome.
I requested preference for an ELCS this time. You will be assigned to a consultant at your delivery hospital and they will go through your delivery notes from last time. I guess the midwife will request these from your old hospital.

It's up to the consultant whether or not they will let you have ELCS. Based on your circs, I think you should be ok. Slow to progress, baby's heartrate etc. My consultant is quite tight, he said as long as my first delivery notes state that there is no physical reason why I shouldn't try for VBAC, then they will refuse my request for ELCS.

It all depends on your circumstances, the uterus scar, the reasons for EMCS last time etc. But ultimately it's your consultant's decision...

Good Luck

PS - I don't know why you are supposed to wait until 16weeks to see a midwife, I thought the norm was 8-10weeks, so I would query this if I was you. It was my midwife who arranged for 12 wk scan etc!

katekate3 Mon 19-Sep-11 20:09:19

Hi, I had DS by ELCS (breech position) and when preg with DD the consultant was happy for me to choose. I chose VBAC but ended up with a second ELCS as baby transverse with cord down, so no choice for me in the end.

If you have had a CS then I think you automatically go under consultant led care, so you will have the time to discuss this.

I feel very lucky that both mine were planned, its a very different experience I gather.

Slinkysista Mon 19-Sep-11 22:53:01

I am totally in the same situation as you, three years ago I have my son by ECS, failed induction. Anyway I too am pregnant and I am freaking out that I wont be allowed a CS this time round. I was in the induction ward for four days and to be honest I was petrified by the screaming and crying of the women around me in labour, it has really affected my view of childbirth and I just want what I know and that's a CS!
Let me know how you get on.
Good luck

Mimile Mon 19-Sep-11 23:01:29

Quick question - how do they assess uterine scar?

miamama09 Tue 20-Sep-11 10:56:43

It is written in your delivery notes. If you have CS, they have to state the condition of your scar after delivery. i.e. was it stretched further to get baby out after initial incision..

dreamingbohemian Tue 20-Sep-11 11:01:35

One thing you might prepare yourself for, I think in many cases you don't get to discuss this with the consultant until after 30 weeks or so (I think?) so you may not get many answers for a bit.

In my area we also didn't get to see midwives for quite a while, and so the 12 week scan was arranged by your GP -- have you seen them yet?

blondieminx Tue 20-Sep-11 13:55:15

Happy congratulations on the new baby smile It'd be worth you contacting your local hospital and asking to speak to the Supervisor of Midwives. Explain that while it's your 2nd baby, you've only just moved into the area and you're feeling all at sea. Ask if there's a Birth Choices clinic at that hospital (usually led by a mw and attended by mums wanting to chat through their options 2nd time round). Ask whether given your history you'll have consultant-led care and if so from how many weeks. She'll also be able to guide you on scans etc. Good luck smile

acatcalledfelix Tue 20-Sep-11 23:00:42

OP I had DS by EMCS 2 years ago, and am now 35 weeks. From my booking in apt I said I wanted an ELCS and much to my surprise this has not been questioned at all. I'm expecting to be given a date next week (I've written almost exactly the same on a thread earlier!). Noone sat down and went through my notes with me, or asked me anything other than why did I have the CS last time. That's it. My mw said "so there's no point referring you to the VBAC clinic?", I said no, that's it. First birth was long, then induced, back to back, and ventouse and forcpeps both failed.
Fingers crossed it'll be as straightforward for you.

Catsycat Wed 21-Sep-11 00:34:29

I don't know anyone who has been refused a subsequent CS - lots of my friends have had 2 or 3. I was regarded as a bit odd by some medical professionals for wanting a VBAC. Some hospitals / consultants are more pro-VBAC than others in practice. I will be asking for an ELCS this time, and don't doubt I will get it.

Catsycat Wed 21-Sep-11 00:35:58

Pressed "post" too soon!!! Hope you will be offered the birth you want. I think the NICE guidelines (and the new draft guidelines) are on your side.

HappyAsIAm Wed 21-Sep-11 09:20:20

Thanks for the information and support. I feel loads more informed already, and will pursue the suggestions. Your help has been really valuable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: