Talk

Advanced search

Cheers, guys. We really needed something else to beat ourselves up about!

(22 Posts)
DrSeuss Sun 18-Sep-11 11:52:21

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-1494826

Crosshair Sun 18-Sep-11 11:56:21

404 - Page Not Found

Crosshair Sun 18-Sep-11 11:57:15

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14948261

PotteringAlong Sun 18-Sep-11 12:11:06

I've eaten shed loads of it in the last 7 months! Typical. There's no point stopping now, is there?!

In a few years we're going to end up eating nothing...

Crosshair Sun 18-Sep-11 12:28:07

Didnt see anything to worry about in that article, the research is in its infancy with many other factors to considour. It highlights the point to follow a balanced diet, which everyone knows already. smile

Crosshair Sun 18-Sep-11 12:28:29

consider*

harassedandherbug Sun 18-Sep-11 12:45:49

I saw this yesterday....... honestly, what next?!

My dc's are 22, 20 and 5, and I'm 26wks prg. I ate loads of stuff when preg with the eldest two that we're not allowed to eat now. Actually I was heavily preg with ds1 when the whole Salmonella in eggs thing broke. Knowing me I was probably eating a soft boiled egg.......

Don't take it all too seriously is my advice, just be sensible.

CBear6 Sun 18-Sep-11 12:49:39

I wouldn't take it as conclusive until further research was done it was incorporated into the "official" pregnancy diet advice.

There are studies upon studies out there which can prove that x in pregnancy leads to y in childhood, there are even studies out there that conflict other studies. The best thing is to eat a balanced diet, use common-sense, and not worry about these sorts of studies because advice changes as our knowledge changes - as an example, thirty years ago my mother was told by the doctor and the MW to eat a large serving of liver at least three times a week because her iron was low, now we're told to avoid liver/liver products.

DrSeuss Sun 18-Sep-11 13:12:50

I have no intention of taking it seriously until someone can absolutely prove a link. But isn't pregnancy and early parenthood, all parenthood in fact, stressful enough without some bugger telling you how you might have harmed your child by eating something/doing something/breathing?! The human race has survived this far. The folic acid thing is an obvious exception because they have scientific proof that it helps but yoghurt? Really?!

Crosshair Sun 18-Sep-11 13:25:11

I dont tend to read general articles on health and think ''how dare they tell me too much red meat gives me cancer, I have enough to worry about!'', not sure why articles on pregnancy should be any different.

Jill72 Sun 18-Sep-11 13:54:07

utter rubbish! what exactly does the statistic "1.6 times more likely" |actually mean anyway??? ignore, ignore, ignore!!!!!

phlossie Sun 18-Sep-11 14:30:57

Luckily I like everything FULL FAT! Just have to worry about clogging arteries instead grin

AlpinePony Sun 18-Sep-11 14:44:38

Er - shouldn't they be more worried about low-fat foods contributing to gestational diabetes?

MrsCog Sun 18-Sep-11 16:04:41

Yeay - I don't believe in low fat stuff - for the first time ever I feel as though the media is on my side!

spookshowangellovesit Sun 18-Sep-11 16:09:06

its all in the words A STUDY, just one.

DrSeuss Sun 18-Sep-11 18:10:46

But somewhere, some poor cow who is already terrified that she's doing it all wrong is convinced her kid's asthma is her fault. Not fair!

Crosshair Sun 18-Sep-11 19:02:50

''But somewhere, some poor cow who is already terrified that she's doing it all wrong is convinced her kid's asthma is her fault. Not fair!''

hmm

PlinkertyPlonk Sun 18-Sep-11 20:26:25

Full fat for me. It always tastes better.

There are lots of factors that contribute to asthma. It would be impossible to attribute it to 1 pot too many of low-fat yoghurt.

Crosshair Sun 18-Sep-11 20:51:18

Its not that the study shows low fat yogurt causes asthma, more that it lacks the fatty acids you would get in normal full fat yogurt, which may or may not help to prevent asthma. Well thats how I understood it. confused

ReadRideABikeSwim Sun 18-Sep-11 21:00:29

not trying to make us feel rubbish - trying to help future generations!
I'm another full fat ter here - I'd rather eat real food and less of it but still it is thought provoking

PlinkertyPlonk Sun 18-Sep-11 21:12:36

well spotted crosshair - I bet a lot of people did what I did and only read the headline blush

stephm93 Mon 19-Sep-11 13:11:12

Hello smile

I found something else about childhood asthma actually.. And powerlines.. confused

Anyway, it's worth reading, and pretty interesting smile

http://www.thelifedept.co.uk/livelonger/footer-featured-a/power-lines-connected-to-childhood-asthma/

I've lived through childhood asthma (which stopped at about 12, then came back when I was 15- so I suppose I now just have asthma- is that the proper term?) and it honestly wasn't that bad. I know that for some people, it can be rough though hmm

I also found something about asthma in adulthood, and pregnancy:

http://www.thelifedept.co.uk/livelonger/healthy-children/asthmatic-mothers-risk-suffering-birth-problems/

Taa-daa! Hope this is helpful.. Or at least informative smile xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now