Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Daft Question

(9 Posts)
LouisaJF Sat 17-Sep-11 13:54:03

I know this might be a stupid question, but where abouts does your bump appear? This is my second pregnancy, but I only got to 12 weeks with the first one. There is a definate tummy appearing, but I don't know if it's a bit high to be a bump, maybe it's just overkill on the cake. Which bit of my tummy should it show on?

Crosshair Sat 17-Sep-11 14:00:22

I had alot of bloat/water around 6-14 weeks. My actually bump started around week 16/17.

melliebobs Sat 17-Sep-11 14:07:16

I'm 17+6 and don't have a clearly visible bump. But I'm noticing im starting to fill out and the area around my knicker line n below is starting to go quite hard rather than it being fleshy/flabby! Lol

BedHog Sat 17-Sep-11 14:33:41

Your bump appears gradually as the uterus grows upwards out of the pelvis. However in doing so, it pushes the stomach and intestines upwards and out of the way, and these bulging out can cause your tummy to protrude.

When your bump does first appear (usually late 1st or early-mid 2nd trimester) you may notice that the lower section is harder (this contains the uterus and baby) and the upper section (stomach etc) is quite squishy.

BuffyFan Sat 17-Sep-11 18:21:07

It seems to depend on the woman as well - I'm 30 weeks and my bump is really high, far higher than I'd expected. I'm not exactly skinny and I think it's partly because the bottom of my bump is buried under plenty of "me", while the top of my bump is really hard and obvious. Nobody's told me I'm a freak of nature yet...

JambalayaCodfishPie Sat 17-Sep-11 20:36:27

When I had my DD I never had a bump. Was still sleeping on my front at 40wks. smile
She was 7lb4oz on delivery too, so not tiny!

localcrackpot Sun 18-Sep-11 18:10:55

I had to start putting clothes away at 8 weeks (and it's my first). I was a 14, so not a skinny-ribs, but had a rather nice hour glass shape IMHO. Waist disappeared very quickly. Bump arrived (high) early too. Am 33+3 now, I think, and have an unmissable 3rd trimester bump, but not unusually large. It's all at the front too. So I think it's all just random.

On another topic, my bust has only gone up 1 cup size and no back size. I am hoping for a noticable improvement in this area when the milk comes in! I have always had a rather modest bust and had hoped that pregnancy would see me making up the difference, ha!

BelleRomford74 Sun 18-Sep-11 18:33:41

Deffo does depend on woman to woman & indeed pregnancy to pregnancy!!
Yours does sound like the beginnings of a bump though.. mine is high & quite firm at 17 weeks which is how I distinguish it from my spare tyre!!!! ;)
Now I have built up a nice maternity wardrobe I am fully embracing it!!

This is my 3rd pregnancy & never been a skinny minny before either of them around a size 14...the plus side of this is that I have very few stretch marks & they are so pale in colour that they are barely visable.. an upside to have a little extra skin where the bump will be!! xx

LouisaJF Tue 20-Sep-11 20:06:12

Thanks everyone. This must be the only time in a woman's life that we actually want our tummies to get bigger! I just can't wait for my bump to be full of baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now