Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling really dizzy

(9 Posts)
ilovespinach Sat 17-Sep-11 09:04:44

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and feel really dizzy. A few times over the last few days I've got up and have had to grab onto something as I felt so dizzy. I can't recall this with my previous 2 pregnancies. In fact I even feel dizzy sat on the chair writing this. It's not a case of not eating enough for sure .....

Is this anything I should worry about?

JambalayaCodfishPie Sat 17-Sep-11 09:26:26

Im 8 weeks too, and get dizzy.

According to the MW, low blood pressure is really common at this stage - which causes dizzyness.

I have a v low bp outside of pregnancy, so its even worse right now. Just make sure you get up slowly. I find if the dizzyness starts its best to just hold onto something and close my eyes until it passes.

Its really not nice, but should pass. smile

spookshowangellovesit Sun 18-Sep-11 08:02:11

i had this really badly i would stand up and have to hold on to the wall or a person it was horrible, happily it all cleared up around the magical 3 month barrier. i would still get it if i go to long with out eating but thats it.

featherbag Sun 18-Sep-11 08:41:10

Make sure you drink plenty of fluids, as others have said low bp is common in early pregnancy but becoming dehydrated will make it worse.

Ooopsadaisy Sun 18-Sep-11 08:52:04

I agree with others who have said low blood pressure.

I went through a few weeks of fainting. Once in the library, once in the kitchen at home and once at work (and I was the first aider!!!!). I spent the rest of those weeks feeling dizzy like you describe. Horrible feeling when accompanied by morning sickness isn't it?

Speak to your midwife. She'll check you are ok but I think it will pass quite quickly. Just be careful if you are in sole charge of young dcs or if you drive or work alone. Eat little and often and drink plenty of water.

ilovespinach Sun 18-Sep-11 13:49:52

Thanks everyone smile Feeling horribly sick today but no dizzyness as yet. Drinking is something I could do more of...of to get some water now smile

somewherewest Mon 19-Sep-11 09:21:39

Someone suggested lying down with my feet above my head and that really did help (no idea why!)

kblu Mon 19-Sep-11 09:45:06

Yes I had dizziness in my first pregnancy, it started two weeks after I conceived before I even found out I was pregnant. It does pass. I used to sit with my head between my knees, that helped.

featherbag Mon 19-Sep-11 10:06:34

Lying with your feet above your head, even marginally, is very effective and the first thing I get someone to do when I find they have low bp (HCP, not just random BP checker!). This is because it effectively delivers an extra 250ml of fluid to your essential organs, fluid that would have been in your legs because of gravity, and often raises BP quite quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now