Talk

Advanced search

Anyone gave birth in St Helier in 2011?

(8 Posts)
screamaway Sat 17-Sep-11 02:49:47

I am due on Feb 2012. And I am scared, because I have read many posts about how bad St Helier is. Like it is not clean, does not have good after care etc.

Did anyone give birth in St Helier lately, and can give what the current situation is?

ChocolateCalculator Sat 17-Sep-11 05:25:35

I gave birth at St Helier in January 2009 and August 2010 both times in the consultant led bit. Whist saying I couldn't fault them would be a bit strong- my gripes are trivial (food not great though better second time and painfully slow discharge process). I was in for 5 nights first time and 2 nights second time and didn't see anything that worried me cleanliness wise. Staff I encountered were friendly but busy. Probably most importantly though they took great care of both my boys who both had difficulties one way or another. If I was to have another (which I'm not) I would use them again.

Pidgy Sat 17-Sep-11 08:36:28

Do you mean St Helier in Epsom?
Sorry, not sure if I only get posts from people near me?

I think this or Kingston are my choices?

I did attend this hospital for an outpatient procedure, so probably not completely related, but the staff were lovely, and although it seemed quite an old building, the rooms I was in were clean.

ChocolateCalculator Sat 17-Sep-11 09:38:00

St Helier is in Sutton/Carshalton, but it forms an NHS trust with Epsom hospital

UndercoverWorker Sat 17-Sep-11 09:44:14

I had such a horrible time at Epsom that I was debating going to St Helier as I've heard better things about it. But Epsom is literally on my doorstep so seems daft to move to a hospital further away.

My father was in St H (obviously not for maternity reasons!) and it was fine. I think people judge it a lot by what it looks like on the outside, and who can blame them! I'm hearing better things about the actual service though.

SomekindofSpanish Sat 17-Sep-11 09:46:46

I gave birth there in 2001 shock and it was fine. Had my scans there in 2005 and 2007 (both homebirths).

It's a shame that the food hasn't improved, but the aftercare I received was great and the maternoty support was fab. They were/are really pro breastfeeding as well.

jennyhatesjazz Sat 17-Sep-11 13:07:18

I gave birth there at the beginning of the year (2011) in the birth centre and it was fantastic. Could not fault it at all. The midwives were lovely and the care was excellent. No experience of the consultant led bit though.

absam32 Mon 19-Sep-11 15:40:54

I'm booked into St Helier for May 2012, and was a bit concerned myself but have since spoken to a few friends who've given birth there and the worst I've heard is that the night staff on the main ward can be a little brusque. One girl I had a long chat with over the weekend gave birth in the midwife led centre 3 months ago and had nothing but praise for the unit...has really put my mind at rest...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now