Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

support tights

(7 Posts)
Thirstysomething Fri 16-Sep-11 20:31:50

Hi, slightly different from flight socks thread - doc also recommends getting support stockings for this delightful veiny leg of mine, oh hurrah.
Can't stand wearing tights under jeans... but guess I am going to have to, the leg is getting really painful. Any recommendations for good support tights, or if possible, support hold ups?!
thanks!

goodnightmoon Sat 17-Sep-11 21:45:43

your doctor can prescribe support hold-ups - I'm suprised he/she didn't since they recommended them to you. They will then measure you at the pharmacy and make sure you get the right fit. They typically come in nude and black.
You can also order them yourself, but they are pricey. You can also get support tights online, though not on the NHS.
I bought two pairs of maternity support tights from pebbleUK recently that I am quite happy with. I also have the ugly old support hold ups from previous treatment for my veins but I personally don't like them because I find the line always shows under jeans or trousers.
(So I wear skirts instead, with the tights)
hopefully the problem will ease after birth - mine definitely got better right away after my last pregnancy.
This time around I am feeling completely disfigured but hey, another joy of pregnancy.

Thirstysomething Mon 10-Oct-11 12:24:00

yup, totally black right calf - nice to know someone else is feeling 'disfigured'... I am so hoping this will go after pregnancy! It is the only thing that is making me happy it is winter.
Doctor just said 'buy some support tights' and when pressed couldn't recommend any, and the pharmacy looked at me as though i was mad when I asked to be measured. So I slunk out having bought some flight socks and nothing else. Thanks for the pebbleUK suggestion.

Flossie2 Mon 10-Oct-11 12:57:48

Hello, I have exactly the same problem with my left leg. I couldn't manage without my support stocking! I was referred to a consultant at the hospital to check my leg out and was given "Teds" stockings there. You can buy them online but they're quite expensive. I wear mine daily (agony if I take them off!) under thick woolly tights. Ask your midwife if she can get you a pair. Am very glad the weather has turned cold again! Hope you can get sorted x ps this is my fourth pregnancy and veins only started in third preg. You will find they disappear pretty quickly after giving birth (and fake tan can mainly hide them in the summer!)

Thirstysomething Mon 10-Oct-11 14:51:05

hi, same here (fourth pregnancy I mean), got some thread veins on my thigh with pregnancy 2, quite bad veins with pregnancy three, but they went three hours after the birth, it was a miracle! Nothing like this time though, it has been so so much worse.
I am going to speak to the midwife tomorrow about Teds, thanks heaps. I should have done something about this soon, but have been a bit head in the sand about everything this time...

goodnightmoon Mon 10-Oct-11 15:33:11

GPs can definitely prescribe these - though as advised they are quite hideous!

xlatia Mon 10-Oct-11 16:02:02

i wanted some because of water in legs and was told at the pharmacy to get a prescription from my GP, so i'd say pester him/her for tights as they can be quite pricey.
otherwise, boots does maternity support tights (around 10 quid a pair, i think) or alternatively just buy the ones that don't say "maternity" on the label - they cost only 5 quid. they also do stockings and hold-ups, but i don't know if the ones from the pharmacy are probably "stronger", i.e. better to keep veins in check IYSWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now