Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Born at 36 weeks? How was baby?

(32 Posts)
Bumpsadaisie Fri 16-Sep-11 16:15:45

I've just got back from an overnight stay in hospital due to very intense period type pain yesterday which wore off overnight. Everything normal otherwise eg no infection, no bleeding, BP ok, all the tests they ran were fine.

So it could just have been one of those things or it could possibly materialise into early labour in the next days.

I'm 35+3 at the moment and just wondered whether anyone could share experiences of how your 36 week ish baby was if born at that stage? My DD was born at 40 weeks, was a good weight and fed straight off with no problems and i have this idea that if this baby does come soon I am going to have many more problems feeding him etc as he won't be quite ready?

whackamole Fri 16-Sep-11 16:23:06

I had identical twins at 36 weeks exactly. They were 4lb 7.5 and 5lb 10 - they are identical but had (what turned out to be) minor growth problems in the womb. They were induced due to pre-eclampsia. I had a natural birth for both. The biggest problem was me - the placenta didn't detach properly so I had to had surgery which wasn't nice.

Both were, and are, totally fine. They didn't need any special care at all, literally they were put in the cots, we went round to the ward and we all came home after 3 days. I did have the steroid injection the day before - not sure if that made any difference? They also both fed absolutely fine straight off, I did end up breast and topping up with bottles but that was really due to the fact that it can be quite hard BFing 2 at the same time (especially when out and about!).

Hopefully this is just a blip and baby will stay inside for a while, but I hope my experience is helpful.

AitchTwoOh Fri 16-Sep-11 16:25:13

do NOT panic. smile
dd2, born at 33+6, four lbs 1oz, breathed on her own from the off, screamed and shouted and otherwise made herself known during delivery, and was a perfect, if tiny, thing. feeding was a bit of a bollix but that was my fault, not hers. she, if anything, tried much harder than her sister...

fannybanjo Fri 16-Sep-11 16:27:13

Tuque logic s vsyyuangrysadreusmileblushndhdhdgryur

Bumpsadaisie Fri 16-Sep-11 16:28:23

Thanks Whackamole that is really useful to know! I had assumed it would definitely be really hard to bf a pre-term baby.

I guess if labour starts spontaneously soon then it is his/my body's decision to kick things off so you would have thought he would be ready, I suppose.

I'm torn between being keen to meet him (esp after being on the ward and seing all the ladies with their new babies last night!) and wanting him to stay put a wee bit longer! But he is supposedly about 6 pounds at the moment so not a bad weight even if he does turn up this week.

Thanks again x

usualsuspect Fri 16-Sep-11 16:29:43

My DD was born at 36 weeks she was nearly 5 lbs and absolutely fine ,no problems feeding ,I ff though , she wasn't in special care or anything

She did have a bit of jaundice and had to go under the light,but only for a few hours

Bumpsadaisie Fri 16-Sep-11 16:29:59

Aitch - thanks so much for sharing that - very reassuring!

Fannybanjo - I think a DC hit the keyboard there, no?!

Bumpsadaisie Fri 16-Sep-11 16:31:28

Thanks usualsuspect.

It seems like I'm being way too pessimistic. I have the steroid injections too so that's all in place. (Ouch - it hurts in your bum! shock)

ShowOfHands Fri 16-Sep-11 16:32:07

Just had ds at 37wks bang on so a few days further in. He was 7lbs 1oz, bf in recovery (emcs) and was utterly healthy and without problems. Bfeeds brilliantly, in fact he's gained a pound in a week. He's even smiling already.

Good luck. smile

ImTheMap Fri 16-Sep-11 16:33:37

My dc was born at 37 emcs and weight was 7lb. No problems at all.

Lougle Fri 16-Sep-11 16:33:42

35+4 here. A bit of jaundice, but BF well. Home after 5 days, then every other day for 5 days for billirubin checks.

OvO Fri 16-Sep-11 16:36:31

My DS3 was 36 weeks (or a few days short of it) and was a bit poorly. Started with RDS and then one of his lungs collapsed just to make it all worse. But I hadn't been given steroids which could have made a difference and it was a planned section so plenty of time to have been given them.

But even with that start my DS was home 10 days later and is a healthy 3 year old now.

tvfriend Fri 16-Sep-11 16:37:17

DD was born at 36 weeks. She was 6lb. She was jaundiced but otherwise OK. She wasn't a great feeder to start with but got better. (and it was no harder than a lot of friends found feeding their full term babies).

DS was born at 34+5 and was 5lb 4. He was in special care for 2 nights but only as a precaution. Again, he was jaundiced but otherwise OK. A much better feeder than his sister and is now a hulking great 2 year old.

Good luck- all will be fine! The plus side of them being on the small side was there was a lot less to push out!

sowrong Fri 16-Sep-11 16:37:46

Don't worry. Second son was born at 36 weeks. He weighed 6 pounds and was a little sleepy and jaundiced. He breastfed straight away with no problems smile

OvO Fri 16-Sep-11 16:38:01

Oh and he was 7lb 9.5oz and totally chubby.grin

SazZaVoom Fri 16-Sep-11 16:41:30

DD1 born at 36 weeks exactly weighing 6lb 5oz by CS (due to placenta praevia). No special care needed other than a hot cot and she fed ok--ish--. I had had steroid injections too. She did have prolonged jaundice, but had no treatment for it other than sunshine and breastmilk.

Good luck & i hope you hang on in there for a few more weeks smile

queenrollo Fri 16-Sep-11 16:41:59

ds arrived at 35+5 weighing 6.5lb, wailed like a good 'un when he appeared. Was in hospital 4 days to get BF established, he had mild jaundice but was fine otherwise.
He was a right scrawny scrap when he was born (he was top centile for length) and is now a strapping 6 year old....

PorcelainGoddess Fri 16-Sep-11 16:54:19

DD arrived at 35+5 and has given me very few problems of any sort! I did have the steroid injection. She had a short spell in SCBU and had a few minor issues with blood sugar and jaundice - all completely sorted by the time we left hospital 5 days later. She took to BFing really well - far better than her brother who was full term - and continues to be EBF 16 weeks later.

HTH x

fannybanjo Fri 16-Sep-11 17:07:05

Oh no! blush Apologies DD3 had my iPhone... She's obviously a Future Mumsnetter... blushblushblush

fannybanjo Fri 16-Sep-11 17:09:32

Bumpsadaisie good luck too - hope all goes ok.

pinkytheshrinky Fri 16-Sep-11 17:16:45

My eldest child was born at exactly 36 weeks, she was slow to feed and little jaundiced consequently and had to go under the lights but was 6lb 15oz. She did struggle to feed but did not go into special care (I was on hospital for 5 days with her though) at first because she was sleepy but then went on to breastfeed for 18 months or so, so it was all ok in the end

sevensevenseven Fri 16-Sep-11 18:15:05

DS was born at 35+5. I didn't have steroids, but we had no problems other than a weak sucking reflex which meant he was unable to bf. He came home after 3 days.

Good luck!

sittinginthesun Fri 16-Sep-11 18:17:30

DS2 born at 36 plus 5, 12 hours after growth scansmile

He was absolutely fine, 7lb 4oz, and treated as full term.

Broodzilla Fri 16-Sep-11 18:17:42

I had similar pains at 35 weeks and then my waters went with a pop at 36 weeks exactly, so you might have a few days still, even if this is the start... DS was 6 pounds and bf like a pro straight away. Had jaundice for a few weeks but no treatment. No other problems at all, and he's always been in the top percentile for length.
Now 21 wks with DD and getting nervous! smile

AlpinePony Fri 16-Sep-11 18:22:05

Pre-eclampsia led to emcs at 36+5 - he had some jaundice and had been in a bad way during the induction. He was 5lb 10oz and spent 2 nights in an incubator - although I'm not sure if this was maybe for my benefit as I was in a terrible state and not fit to look after him myself. 15 month old monster now. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now