Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dating scan at 10 weeks?

(8 Posts)
Mysecretumbrella Fri 16-Sep-11 15:08:42

Hi, I've got my appointment for my first scan next week but according to my dates I'll only be 10-11wks. Will it be a waste of time do you think? I asked the midwife and she said I could try and rearrange it but they were very busy... So I think I'll stick with it but i suppose I don't want to look silly and just be told I should have waited another few weeks! Sorry, bit of a ramble but does anyone have any advice?

InnocentRedhead Fri 16-Sep-11 15:15:02

You can have a dating scan anytime after 8-13ish weeks. However if you want the Nuchal translucency scan as part of the combined test for downs your so called '12 week' scan has to be done between 11-13 weeks. I think you should give them a call if you want the NT as part of the scan see if you can get it a little later, but if you want it purely for dating or they offer NT scan seperately, you can have it at 10-11 weeks

pruney1977 Fri 16-Sep-11 15:19:08

My first scan was scheduled for 10w6 on my original dates. I thought maybe they thought I was further on than I was. When I went to my scan they dated me at 10w1 and then rescheduled me 3 weeks later to be rescanned to check the nuchal fold. I didn't think it was a bad thing as got to see back twice instead of once. That was in Leicestershire.

mumatron Fri 16-Sep-11 15:23:30

not area's offer the nt scan so it could be the standard time for dating scan in your area.

where i live it's normal to have a dating scan between 10-13 weeks as they do the triple test instead.

I had my scan at 11 weeks and paid for a private nt scan at 13 weeks.

Mysecretumbrella Fri 16-Sep-11 15:40:44

Thanks for all the thoughts. I think I'll stick with as, if nothing else, I am obviously keen to see the baby as soon as possible! Sounds like I may need to go back for the NT test but we'll see. I think it's because they think I'm further along than I am despite me telling them otherwise!

sistersootica Fri 16-Sep-11 15:47:56

had mine at just 11 weeks and it was fine smile. Saw the heartbeat, got estimated date, and all measurements.

whackamole Fri 16-Sep-11 16:02:28

Had my first one at 9 weeks (got my dates wrong) and they accurately dated me, then made an appointment for me to go back a couple of weeks later. But that was because they were twins and they needed to double-check whether they were identical or not.

We had the nuchal scan separately that time, they didn't offer it for singleton pregnancies at that time - but this pregnancy (single) my first scan was at 12+5 (was very accurate myself this time!) and 21 weeks for nuchal scan and growth scan.

Feels very strange this time - 2 scans is all I get - I was being scanned weekly at one point with the boys!

whackamole Fri 16-Sep-11 16:02:53

Sorry for the complete hijack blush

You will be fine, don't cancel as they may not be able to fit you in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now