Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Where can I get a private test for Strep B in London? NHS don't test for it...

(8 Posts)
lalectrice Thu 15-Sep-11 15:41:19

Does anyone know how I go about getting tested for Strep B? I'm 29 wks pregnant, based in SW London, and the Chelsea & Westminster don't test for this potentially hugely serious infection. Can anyone advise me about how/where to get a private test? Much appreciated!

KikiRC Thu 15-Sep-11 16:32:15

Loads of info here: www.gbss.org.uk/

yummymango Thu 15-Sep-11 16:51:58

I ordered mine online from here: www.medisave.co.uk
You just follow the instructions to do the swabs and then send them back and they text you the results within a few days. Easy peasy! It was £32 mind you and annoyingly the day after I sent it off I had a swab to check for amniotic fluid and at the same time they swabbed for strep B, so I needn't have bothered!

May09Bump Thu 15-Sep-11 17:05:48

Hi, here are some contacts to get the testing done.

http://www.gbss.org.uk/content.php?section_id=3&sub_id=2&content=Testing%20For%20All

I used the one from Mumstuff, they send out the kit fairly promptly and you send a cheque / payment in with the swabs - was about 30 pound 2yrs ago. The tests came back in the post - mine were positive. If postitive - notify your GP, any Hospital consultants you are under and midwife. Your notes will get a big GBS sticker on them - and during labour you need to make sure they give you IV antibiotics in labour. If your clear then your mind is at rest. If your positive - then precautions are taken to safeguard your baby.

My LO was fine. I advise everyone pregnant to get it done, as the consequences can be bad for the baby if untreated. This site is great for learning a bit more aabout GBS too.

Have a great pregnancy / labour !

lalectrice Thu 15-Sep-11 17:28:43

Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! Really helpful. I absolutely agree about the importance of getting it done - if only more women were informed about it and their options!

BedHog Thu 15-Sep-11 18:45:37

Much better to get a kit online and do it yourself, unless you want to pay someone to swab your anus!!!

wompoopigeon Thu 15-Sep-11 21:38:58

Gawd I had to get DH to do it as I couldn't reach.
<death of romance>

May09Bump Fri 16-Sep-11 18:29:07

Agreed - NHS should at least inform you of the risk. Wompoopigeon - your comment made me laugh a lot, agreed with OH not to view Labour from below the waste as had enough of him seeing things he really shouldn't witness LOL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now