Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vitamins for pre and post pregnancy + Are amino acids ok to take while pregnant? + stretch marks tip!

(5 Posts)
LDNmummy Thu 15-Sep-11 15:32:59

I'm actually feeling really guilty as the only supplements I have taken through my pregnancy have been Iron and... well that's it really!

I was terrified to take anything else in case it wasn't good or I took too much of it for the baby to handle [PFB emoticon]

I was checking into vitamins I could start taking now to give my body a kickstart for breast feeding, and realised there are loads of things I could have taken while pregnant to help baby and me.

I am 37+1 today so I figure the baby is big enough to handle whatever I take but I am still being cautious until she is born. I was wondering if anyone knows if Amino Acids are OK to take as some of the vitamins I want to take have it as part of the formula, like this.

Any advice on what vitamins are good for new mums would be greatly appreciated too. I want to be in as tip top a shape as possible.

And, I found out that the best way to combat stretch marks is to increase your body's ability to create its own collagen and keep the skin elastic. Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin C all help do this greatly, so ladies give it a try. Apparently this is the best way to do it from inside the body instead of just rubbing lots of lotions on the surface. If you do take Zinc long term, you need to take a small amount of copper with it to avoid getting anaemic though so keep that in mind.

Disclaimer - I am not a healthcare professional so ask your doc first please.

Crosshair Thu 15-Sep-11 15:42:53

Ive been taking a standard pregnancy multivitamin, tried asda and pregnacare. I believe pregnacare do a Breastfeeding multi as well.

Crosshair Thu 15-Sep-11 15:47:27

If you dont fancy a multi remember your 10 mcg vit D which is now recommended.

LDNmummy Thu 15-Sep-11 15:52:23

Will add it to the list Crosshair. I don't know why they didn't mention that to me at any point in my pregnancy. My friend was apparently given a prescription for Vit D and advised on it confused

Crosshair Thu 15-Sep-11 15:57:11

Yeah I dont think my gp or mw mentioned it either, noticed it when looking at the nhs web site.

www.nhs.uk/Planners/pregnancycareplanner/pages/Vitaminsmineralsdiets.aspx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now