Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ranty Rant

(16 Posts)
themightyskim Thu 15-Sep-11 14:56:40

In a nut shell my DH has some large debts, so we cant move, we live in a two bedroomed terrace and the rooms are small, we had our heart set on converting our loft for my step daughter so that the baby could have her room and we have just been told that we cant sad I now have no idea what we are going to do with the baby! I really want a boy but common sense is now wishing for a little girl, poor SD will have to sacrafice her lovely bed for a bunk once the baby is old enough

Gah! what a shitty day!

themightyskim Thu 15-Sep-11 14:56:57

oh and im hormonal and constipated and tired to boot

MandaHugNKiss Thu 15-Sep-11 15:04:19

DP and I are saving furiously to buy... and am currently in a two bed flat with my two teen kids, our 18month son, I'm pregnant and his daughter comes to stay every other weekend and sleeps on the sofa! We're literally bursting at the seams and probably won't be able to buy for maybe a year.

Problem is, once we get a house, we'll have to get DP's dog back that is living with his Mum for the interim (no room here, and also not allowed). She's a dogue de bordeux, so massive. Ho hum.

How often do you have DSD? Or does she live with you?

themightyskim Thu 15-Sep-11 15:21:49

Lmao at least I know Im not alone! she stays three nights a week, and if it helps we have a great dane and a whippet lol, they are quite happy curled up in the dining room out of the way though

I think im just peeved that this is my first baby and I cant even plan a nice room for it, silly in the grand scheme of things but I did warn you I was hormonal

Pootles2010 Thu 15-Sep-11 15:25:08

Could dining room be converted? My sister used to have our dining room as her bedroom.

Tbh a 2 bed is really not so bad for a family of four, you will be fine.

themightyskim Thu 15-Sep-11 17:21:27

we have decided that if its a girl then poor DSD looses her beautiful bed (its a house bed she loves it) in favour of bunk beds, if its a boy then my bathroom will get moved down stairs in to what it my kitchen, and my dining room will become a kitchen diner, a lot of the terraces on our road are like that, I think it was just the initial dissapointment that had me moaning before I sat and cried when the nice loft man left lol like a big spoilt kid blush pregnancy is doing nothing for my sanity

Flisspaps Thu 15-Sep-11 17:25:29

Why can you not convert the loft?

themightyskim Thu 15-Sep-11 17:31:07

the ceilings are too high in the upstairs and the roof is too low so by the time it was insulated it would be under the minimum legal requirements, and also the stair access has to be a certain degree as well and we cant manage it to get it in the right part of the loft, essentially we would have to loose a portion of both bedrooms to get the stairs in, and they would have to hit the middle of the loft so it wouldnt allow any real space for a bedroom - now I know why no one else on the street has it done!!

Flisspaps Thu 15-Sep-11 18:16:29

Bugger sad How old is SD, and does she live with you or stay with your for long periods of time?

themightyskim Thu 15-Sep-11 18:37:08

lol I know, stupid victorian houses, shes four and she stays with us three nights a week so we will manage, I just feels sorry for her because she is going to have her nights disturbed, mindue she doesnt always sleep the night yet, maybe she will understand why we dont appreciate the waking......

Flisspaps Thu 15-Sep-11 18:57:49

If she's only four, then you can have them in the same room for a while anyway regardless of whether the new baby is a boy or a girl, and she might think she's too big for her nice house bed soon enough anyway. Bunk beds are great fun grin

StickyGhost Thu 15-Sep-11 19:04:20

U never know, by the time ur new baby needs it's own room ur situation might have changed for the better?

NotFromConcentrate Thu 15-Sep-11 19:08:23

We've had our two boys (now 8 and 3.5) in the same room for 2.5 years and love it - they'll live smile My neighbour has her son and daughter (4 and 2) in the same room too and it's been absolutely fine. Ita obviously a disappointment, but it will work out nicely, please don't worry!

We're expecting number 3 and, having bought at the height of a property boom, can't sell for love money, so I promise you won't be the only one feeling the squeeze ;)

<passes Hob Nobs>

NotFromConcentrate Thu 15-Sep-11 19:09:34

I meant love nor money, I haven't tried asking for love money in return for ownership of my house!

NinkyNonker Thu 15-Sep-11 19:19:03

You could still do a 'loft room' but just not call it a bedroom if you come to sell because it wouldn't be under building regs. Still do it properly, insulation etc.

An estate agent friend has just had this done, he has reverse tread stairs that can be steeper than normal ones. If dsd is only there half the time anyway this could be a good solution, you could make it really funky for her.

themightyskim Thu 15-Sep-11 20:10:42

lol notfromconcentrate a hobnob sounds good

ninkynonker we are thinking about making it a play room that way it could be one of the pull down ladders but she would have to be a bit bigger yet shes a tad clumsy lol, and think we would have to find some way of protecting the hatch but for now think her loosing her bed and sharing is probably our best idea short term - hopefully we will have won the lottery by then smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now