Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

A Bad Reaction and Blabbing Granny! RANT

(10 Posts)
TheBreadstick Thu 15-Sep-11 14:12:58

Apologies for the rant before I start, just need to get this off my chest!

I'm 10wks pg and so far me and DP have only told close family about the pregnancy - we're waiting until after first scan to make it 'official'.

At the weekend we decided to tell DP's grandparents and were met by an ENORMOUS cat's bum mouth from Granny. Not sure why, other than she's a meddling cow as me and DP have been together over 3 years, have a very stable relationship, own house and at the end of the day it's not any of her business - we only told them because we've seen how much they idolise their other great grandchildren and we thought they'd be pleased! Grandad, by the way, was over the moon for me and DP!

Anyway, me and DP just laughed it off and figured other peoples reactions to our news won't change how excited/happy/giddy we are. I guess it's her loss.

Today, I find out that 'Granny' took it upon herself after clearly feeling bad about the cat's bum to seek out DP and apologise to him. She went to his place of work confused not realising he had annual leave booked, but when she was informed he wasn't there decided to tell ALL his colleagues about the pregnancy and how she'd massively upset us both .... er, WTF! angry

What part of "we're only telling family for now ... " does she not understand and where does she get off on thinking her reaction is actually of any consequence to me or DP!

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a huge deal but it's just the latest in a long list of annoying behaviour ... ooh, some one pass me a hob nob before I get really angry! biscuit

PinkFondantFancy Thu 15-Sep-11 14:28:33

Wow I would be totally peeved as well! It's not her news to tell!

How old is granny? Is it possible that she didn't hear/realise that only family know for now?

tinky19 Thu 15-Sep-11 14:34:43

I'd be really pissed off if i were you for the blabbing.
As for the cat's bum face, my mil was exctly the same when we told them i was expecting DS. She practically pretended that we hadn't said anything, just ignored it completely!

Crosshair Thu 15-Sep-11 14:40:28

I would be very upset, Congrats on your pregnancy!

Xiaoxiong Thu 15-Sep-11 14:42:56

I would be furious, but (silver lining) at least she felt bad about the cat's bum and wanted to apologise and knew she'd massively upset you both, which is a good thing all round. I would definitely accept the apology for the initial offence, and and try to get another apology from her for telling his colleagues.

But that is really odd behaviour, to go to his place of work and then talk to all his colleagues about it. Surely the natural thing to do is ring him up that evening, and/or come round to yours?

How old is she? Not sure how best to put it but has she always behaved like this, or is this a recent thing of her doing odd things? (As in...this kind of thing is how we first figured out that my grandmother was having some Parkinson's related dementia...)

Livened Thu 15-Sep-11 14:51:06

I would have gone mad, but I agree with Tyelperion that at least she was sorry...

It's so annoying when other people's reactions aren't quite what you expected - when we told our parents our news about our first baby (due in Jan 2012) my MIL said "well I thought you might have waited..." - me and my DH have been married over a year and together for 9 years!!! How much longer did she expect us to wait?? My DH is 34 and I guess it just goes to show she really does think he's still 12 years old...

Aren't families marvellous! Thank God my M&D are so supportive, as well as FIL, SIL and friends.

Congrats on the pregnancy though smile

TheBreadstick Thu 15-Sep-11 16:38:12

Thanks All!

DH's granny is in her 70's I believe, and VERY 'with it' so to speak - no early signs of dementia or anything - I've actually cared for an elderly relative with dementia and remember all the little indicators that suggest something is up! In fact she's been the common demoninator in several family dramas and rifts so I guess I'm just wary of her motives hmm

I guess that the cats bum may have been a generation thing, I mean me and DP aren't married and although it's no biggy these days, she's from a different world entirely! We have both accepted her apology as it's not worth causing a new drama over in my opinion! smile

Just wanted a little rant away from DH to get the angry off my chest!

TheBreadstick Thu 15-Sep-11 16:39:26

ooops ... shoulda put DP, not DH ... freudian slip methinks! (or wishful thinking!)

featherbag Thu 15-Sep-11 17:17:08

Livened I got the same reaction from my DGM - DH and I have been together 11 years, married for 1, both finished uni and got 'proper grown-up' jobs in the last couple of years and didn't start TTC until I was settled in my job and more than eligible for full maternity benefits. I'm 30. Told DGM (on phone, she was away and didn't want her to hear from other family members), she went all quiet and then in a disappointed voice said 'oh, but I thought you were waiting?'. Waiting for what, exactly, world peace?!

HardCheese Thu 15-Sep-11 19:51:58

Sympathies, OP - how annoying, but you are clearly being mature and understanding about it. I think my partner and me are going to get the opposite kind of bad reaction from extended family when we tell them. We've been together for aeons, and have never married, and I conceived our first baby just before turning 39 - I am anticipating a bit of the cat's bum and 'Why didn't you do it when you were younger?' and 'WE didn't think you were into that kind of thing' etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now