Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Braxton hicks do they hurt or not?

(11 Posts)
Allboxedin Thu 15-Sep-11 12:08:57

Last time I was having painful contractions for a couple of days before I went into labour but hadn't had any before during the pregnancy.
Havent had any this time either at 35 weeks, but I had what was almost a one off contraction last night which lasted a few seconds. But I keep reading that BH don't hurt, are they rather 'uncomfortable' tha painful?

banana87 Thu 15-Sep-11 12:23:46

My BH's are my tummy going very hard for a few seconds. Not painful. I've had a few take my breath away contractions as well and I'm 30 weeks. Is this your 2nd? Apparently in subsequent pregnancies BH's can be more painful, but that could be a rumor.

tinky19 Thu 15-Sep-11 12:27:37

Mine are and my GP has said it's normal when I mentioned it to her. Like period pains and tensing after doing lots of sit ups.

tinky19 Thu 15-Sep-11 12:28:17

Oh and this i my second so it could support your theory banana

Bartimaeus Thu 15-Sep-11 12:28:18

My BH feel like someone is stretching cling film around my stomach from behind and pulling tightly.
They are uncomfortable, and sometimes make me catch my breath but not really painful.
Am 37 weeks and have had only one or two actually painful BH.

addictedtofrazzles Thu 15-Sep-11 14:05:29

With DC1 I only noticed the BH if I was feeling my bump and it happened to harden (from around 25 weeks).

With DC2, as said above, they took my breath away and I found them exhausting (also from around 25 weeks). Nothing like the contractions of labour though.

MixedBerries Thu 15-Sep-11 15:26:42

Hello. I've been having BHs since about week 16 (which apparently isn't unheard of) and I'm now 37 weeks. They've always hurt like very intense large-scale period pains. But the obstetrician says that's fine as, really, in pregnancy, anything is normal. I've heard old wives tales that the more painful they are, the easier labour will be (as your muscles are stronger) but sadly I suspect that's just a myth!!

LDNmummy Thu 15-Sep-11 15:36:42

A couple of mine have been in the last few days, but before that they weren't. I figure its just because I am getting close to the date.

Velvetcu Thu 15-Sep-11 15:47:59

I'm 34wks and have only had them on 2 occasions and that has been in the last 2 weeks and both times they really hurt!

FiniteIncantatem Thu 15-Sep-11 16:13:42

If Braxton Hix are painful, then try drinking some water. I'm sure I read that there is a correlation between painful BH and dehydration and it certainly worked for me.

Pastabee Thu 15-Sep-11 20:50:28

Mine hurt a bit. A bit crampy but I can carry on whatever I'm doing so they aren't that painful for me if that makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now