Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anaesthetic review

(9 Posts)
sleepevader Thu 15-Sep-11 11:38:23

Can anyone tell me exactly what the benefits of a review are and the risks if I don't attend.

I believe the reason for referal is because of pregnancy related diabetes. I also have a high bmi.

The reasons I can't attend are because of the complete lack of flexibility of appt times.

Once a week, at a location that is at least 40 minutes away, at a time that is impossible around collecting from school. No one else can do this pick up unless in labour (as they will be taking unpaid time off work to care for him)

I'm just really fed up that all appointments so far have a complete lack of choice and I'm not forking out for additional childcare (even if we can get it!) and it's really stressful!

pommedechocolat Thu 15-Sep-11 11:41:45

I never made my review with dd as got a flat tyre in the snow on the way there from work (hours journey) so I did it over the phone in the end. Could this be a possibility for you?

sleepevader Thu 15-Sep-11 11:47:53

It may be. What sort of questions did they ask? Did they weigh you? Did they look to see about how they would site a spinal block.

NotFromConcentrate Thu 15-Sep-11 12:42:03

Sleepevader they will assess you for you spinal block, but they will also assess (IIRC) your general fitness for a general anaesthetic should it be required.

They may take baseline bloods, check your blood pressure and also assess if you have any caps/crowns/loose teeth. Also, they will check if you have any allergies etc.

I'd say that you should probably attend if at all possible. If you have a high BMI, GD or any other medical condition, it may affect their plan for your care. Also, it helps them to assess for any potential difficulties that may arise should things change (eg if you are likely to have a difficult airway).

If you can't make the appointment, perhaps contact them and ask if an anaestheist would be availae to see you next time you're there or if it would help to go through the questionnaire with a MW.

Hope all goes well!

sleepevader Thu 15-Sep-11 16:34:39

Thank you. I will try contacting the consultant direct.

It will be so difficult to attend and if they aren't planning on doing any physical checks.

sleepevader Thu 15-Sep-11 16:39:32

Whoops pressed post too soon.

Meant if they are not doing any physical checks then will see if they can do a phone consolation

pommedechocolat Fri 16-Sep-11 09:17:03

Sorry for posting and running. I didn't have any physical checks but it wasn't because of my bmi. We went through interaction with all my meds mainly.

lollystix Fri 16-Sep-11 13:40:46

I would attend. I had one couple of weeks ago as got a weird condition at 18 weeks which I consider myself recovered from. Thought consultant was being bit OTT making me see anaesthetist but thank god I did- apparently if they give me the normal general (if a total emergency) it could kill me as I've had this condition and I can never have this drug in my life ever. GD is not issue for me so you'll be different but my point is you never know. I was totally shocked as I had thought it was a pointless exercise.

sleepevader Fri 16-Sep-11 19:47:06

Thank you. I will try to attend even if it means taking son out of school. Just really annoyed that the clinic is only run for 90mins one a week in a central location where you could easily travel for up to 90mins to get there depending on location in county.

All this Nhs choices stuff is bollocks really but at least we have free healthcare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now