Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Quick Iron quetion

(10 Posts)
HereIGo Wed 14-Sep-11 19:40:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thisisyesterday Wed 14-Sep-11 19:41:20

try taking spatone? 10.2 sounds fine for during pregnancy though?

google michel odent and iron levels...

MixedBerries Wed 14-Sep-11 19:53:04

How annoying and disappointing. You seem to be doing everything you should be! I do know that the iron in supplements isn't very well absorbed even WITH vit C so I suppose my only suggestion would be keep up a diet high in leafy green veg and red meat and see how that goes. Good luck.

wigglesrock Wed 14-Sep-11 21:48:22

I took Fluroxide (sp?), I was really sick with dd3 and midwife advised me that it would be much easier on my stomach than tablets. It tastes like shite, but worked, my levels had gone quite low late on in pregnancy but it wasn't picked up on. I saw results quite quickly.

isabelladeste Wed 14-Sep-11 22:06:55

Floradix is much the best thing to take-you can get it in Holland&Barratt. I was given a prescription for iron tablets too but they were awful. I can't recommend Floradix enough-it even tastes quite nice!

HereIGo Wed 14-Sep-11 22:23:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BagofHolly Wed 14-Sep-11 22:41:18

Go back to your GP. You don't have to have ferrous sulphate, there are (pricier) alternatives such as ferrous gluconate, which is far better tolerated. You don't have to put up with feeling bad and awful side effects.

MummyAbroad Wed 14-Sep-11 23:04:36

Try taking a vitamin B complex (check with doc/midwife its OK first) because sometime lack of B12 can cause you not to absorb the iron you are taking.

Do you have a breakdown of your blood results?, if you do, have a look and see if you have raised MCV which is an indicator of nutritional deficiencies (which can in turn cause anemia)
www.labtestsonline.org.au/understanding/analytes/cbc/test.html (see the table at the bottom)

I had the same experience as you - suffered with the iron for a month and my numbers didnt go up, and I still felt tired, I have been on a vit B complex for a week now and feel so much better, hopefully next set of bloods will show a difference too.

wigglesrock Thu 15-Sep-11 09:26:56

Floradix is what I meant to say, Fluroxide is something else completely smile

Fluter Thu 15-Sep-11 11:19:13

I've been taking the spatone, with a monster 1000mg Vit C tablet at the same time (any excess Vit C just gets flushed out), and when I had my 28 week bloods the consultant was pleased that the levels were holding up - which is apparently fairly unusual with twins. They don't seem to cause any of the problems with tablets with me. They are expensive, but Tescos usually do 3 for 2 on them, if you can't get them prescribed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now